I made this song today with the intention of creating something quite out of the ordinary and unique, which I think I pulled off.

Basically just have a listen and tell me what you think!
Attachments:
Dark Thing (Drop C).gp5
Dark Thing (Drop C).mid
Wow, nice job. That intro was fantastic, I really loved the right hand's parts on the piano, that sounded great, and I liked the time signatures too, not too exotic, but not too common either. I loved the beginning of part 2. However, I didnt really like the higher cello part, especially at bar 20, I would probably create a separate track and use a different instrument. I thought that the violin part was too loud, but it sounded nice. Section 3 was very epic sounding, but again, the violin was too loud. That goes for part 4 as well, that lead part was awesome. Part 4 got so heavy, that was amazing.

I liked the acoustic part in part 5 and the cello melody. Again, that strings/violin track seemed a bit too loud, kinda takes away from the rest of the song. Part 7 was very epic once again, nice layering here with the guitar tracks. In bar 63, the third chord that the violin plays sounds off to me. I really loved that lead line in section 9. Section 10 starts off okay, but that guitar harmony really shines. It sounds a lot like A7X to me, I hope you dont take that as an insult, because it was impressive. Fadeout was a nice ending.

Overall, its very impressive, nice job. I really cant see how to improve it, and I wouldn't suggest extending it, its great as it is lengthwise.

Damn mustard you're a kind fella, thanks for all the kind words! (Again I promise I'm getting around to criting your pop punk songs, I downloaded your update you posted today so I'll have a listen and crit a few and list my faves etc.)

I usually check this site every day so if you wanna PM me about a collab and we can try and get the ball rolling that'd be sweet. Although, I might be a bit slow because I've got 4 exams this coming week! >_<

(P.S I flippin love A7X, I've seen them twice :P)
Last edited by goatsock at May 21, 2011,
Quote by goatsock

Damn mustard you're a kind fella, thanks for all the kind words! (Again I promise I'm getting around to criting your pop punk songs, I downloaded your update you posted today so I'll have a listen and crit a few and list my faves etc.)

I usually check this site every day so if you wanna PM me about a collab and we can try and get the ball rolling that'd be sweet. Although, I might be a bit slow because I've got 4 exams this coming week! >_<

(P.S I flippin love A7X, I've seen them twice :P)

haha dont worry, im not fishing for a crit or anything, this forum is just slow lately, and this song stood out to me. And I would be down, Im not too sure how to go about that though, but Im sure we could figure something out!
Oh my sweet Jesus. That has to be the most amazing song I've heard in a while. You NEED to record this! Omg I wanna hear a full album from you right NOW!
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

Choose your steel. Be the hero or die the fool.
Just face me on this burning bridge and show me
which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Very nice melodies and themes, with a great atmosphere to it. I would only suggest shortening some of the repeats, as they seem to take awhile and make you anticipate the next part more than appreciate whats playing.

Awesome stuff though.
I like what's going on here, but right off the bat with the piano, I'm reminded of the soundtrack to Parasite Eve. Same intervals in your piano line as the one that opens this piece.

Parasite Eve- Main Theme

I don't think it warrants a change, though, the contexts are vastly different between the two.

The only real criticism I have is that the hooks don't stick very well- mostly because nothing gets repeated. Ideas are jumped to- and there are some really genius ideas here- but you never come back to anything. Overall, I like it, but I can't say I'm wowed, because it feels more like an experiment than a finished piece. To improve it, I'd recommend settling on a couple of the ideas you like best, and repeating them throughout (not too much, though. Excessive repetition is worse than a deficiency in repetition) to give the piece some direction.

And a personal pet peeve of mine, ending on the V chord. I've heard it before, and I understand what you're going for, but it just doesn't sound finished to me unless you resolve that tension that the dominant-7 creates.

C4C? http://
Last edited by guitar_jew at May 24, 2011,
Thanks for the crit, and one of my problems is sticking to the same ideas, it's something I'm aware of and am trying to work on. I just get so eager and ideas start flowing so I try to put them all in.

Hooks wise, I'm not very good at making catchy things, it's more about atmosphere for me, and you are definately right about this being more of an experiment than a finished piece.

What confused me is that I don't end on the V, because I too tend to resolve to the nice happy tonic, but with this it fades out so there's no real ending. What did you mean by that?
i wouldnt say its dark but i loved it, i can here a thunderstorm going with the intro. the thing i wasnt fond of was the time signatures in the intro. it didnt work to much, loved the arpeggios at bar 20. not much else to crit
Great work. I really like it.

But I also have something to add to guitar_jews crit.

It needs some kind of theme, that is repeated.
And the ending doesn't really suit the song.
In my opinion it would have been a lot better to give it a big finale before you fade out. Maybe a varaition of part 3-4 with a bit more epic drums or something and fade out with the acoustic guitars from the beginning of part 5.
Just build up some more tension before you fade out.

The part where you used 12/8 as the time signature should be 6/8. It would be more logical because every chord is only using a half measure in 12/8, whereas in 6/8 you'd have one chord per measure.
6/8 would also have been the better choise in the intro (the piano part). At least that's how I would set the accents when I'd play this.

I think that's it. Great work so far
Last edited by Tomura at May 25, 2011,
What confused me is that I don't end on the V, because I too tend to resolve to the nice happy tonic, but with this it fades out so there's no real ending. What did you mean by that?

Ah. Well, I didn't realize it was supposed to fade out. Circumstances have left me without Guitar Pro, so listening in TuxGuitar, the fadeout must not have worked. My mistake.

EDIT: Also, I fixed the link in my first post.
Last edited by guitar_jew at May 24, 2011,
1: X FILES? I kid, I really like this. A great start of a buildup.
2: Everything enters really smooth, a good continuation.
3: Again, works great.
4: Love the big feel, a great sort of release to all the buildup.
5: Very melancholy feeling, works great.
6: Again, good.
7: Favorite part so far. Quite a climax so far.
8: Oh my, love this, too. Beautiful.
9: I like the riff here, but I'm not sure it's extremely fitting for some reason that I cannot place... Might just be me.
10: Hi A7X! This part does sort of indefinitely help bring it to a close, but again, feels a bit unfitting to me. It's as if you had a sort of change in the style you wanted at 9 and sort of used it while tacking on a bit of the prior sound.

Really good overall! Only real problem I have is, as I said, how it seems to meander to something unfitting for the last two sections. They're not terribly offputting though, it would still work as is as a great song in my opinion!
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S