Hey there,

I'm a bit of a nooby when it comes to guitar amps and i recently took a break from playing the guitar due to education.

Now that that is over, im back! And I want to get a better amp.

Currently I own a Ibanez Iceman IC400, Boss DS-1 and DS-2 Turbo Distortion with a Marshall MG15CDR.
The amp freaking sucks.

I play Rock/metal.

So, Im looking to invest in a 15/30 watt amp and since I have the pedals already im guessing I dont necessarily need a distortion amp?

Could somebody reccomend me a decent amp if I was to have distortion pedals already?

Thanks a bunch!
Price range?
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
Well in that price range the only options really would be decent modelling amps. I haven't had much experience with others but the Peavey Vyper would be best for high gain/rock tones whereas I think the Vox VT range would be better for cleans/mid gain. Stay away from the SS spiders. Roland cube would be a good option also.
So Peavey Vypyr seems to be what I need right? (Due to high gains etc)

But what about other MG's and Line 6 Spiders. I heard the IV 30 watt isn't that bad.
But then again i heard Roland cubes are very good too.

Also, is there a big difference if I was to get a 15 watt or a 30 watt?

And yes, I'm willing to go used, I don't mind.
Last edited by Xeloss at May 21, 2011,
Speaking from experience having owned an MG and SS Spider as well as the spider valve, You should stay away from them, except the spider valve but that's out of your budget. The difference between the 15 and 30 watt vyper is the effects I don't think the 15 has them? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also the higher the wattage the more headroom the amp has, which if you're playing loud with a solid state you'll want plenty to avoid that awful clipping but for practice 30 should suffice.
I just found a Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt in my budget range. Is it really worth the extra buck over the 30 watt, considering I play at home mostly.

Also, thanks dannycasevnx for that information, it really helped me understand what to get.
Last edited by Xeloss at May 21, 2011,
*shrug* I'd do it. I was able to very comfortably gig with a 75 watt Spider (not recommending it, just providing my own experience with 75 watt SS modeling amps) when I was more of a newbie, so if you get to that stage, you'll have the headroom you want.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
If you can afford it then definitely go with the more powerful one. As Slash_is_a_God mentioned, if you need to go louder, you can. The great thing about SS amps (which is why I avoid tube) is that they sound the same at low and high volumes.