I am in a hard rock and heavy metal band and we kicked out our old singer last year because he sucked. So we spent months looking for new singers and there were a couple of our friends who are actually not bad and have potential, but our drummer's dad suggested his coworker. He's got power, but he doesn't have any melody. He only yells. We ended up going with him a couple months ago, but he only wants to do about 5 of our 15 or so songs, and wants to do a ton of so-so alt-rock/alt-metal filler songs as a replacement. I don't mind the songs he wants to do, but our other guitarist won't like them. Plus, we have 2 weeks to practice for a pretty big battle of the bands, and 3 weeks for a local gig but we don't have any weekends available (the only time everyone is able to practice). He doesn't want to do a few of our most difficult and best songs and would rather do middle-of-the-road songs, and he doesn't like our own stuff, and referred to it as a trainwreck. We don't have any time left to write new stuff or add a whole setlist of songs so we're pretty much screwed. What should we do?
Play the 5 that he likes. If you need more songs, try and negotiate a deal with your guitarist and singer to play some of the better songs and some of the alternative ones. That means, everyone is happy and you guys don't lose the band battle thingy
I have to wonder why you hired him, though... seems like a mistake. You could either deal with him for a while or pull out of the shows. Get them to compromise like Naruto said.
if the singer doesn't want to play what you guys already have written, then he doesn't actually want to be in the band, either go through with these two gigs you got, then kick him, or kick him and cancle those gigs. you wan t a singer with a similar goal as you have, and it just doesn't sound like this guy does.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I operate a restaurant and we kicked out our old chef last year because he sucked. So we spent months looking for a new chef and there were a couple of our friends who are actually not bad and have potential, but our drummer's dad suggested his coworker. He's good with meat, but he doesn't have any sense of spices or flavourings. He only just douses everything in Tobasco sauce. We ended up going with him a couple months ago, but he only wants to make about 5 of our 15 or so menu items, and wants to do a ton of so-so filler dishes as a replacement. I don't mind the dishes he wants to do, but our other owners won't like them. Plus, we have 2 weeks to prepare for a pretty big festival that we're catering, and 3 weeks for a banquet that we're hosting, but we don't have any time available to prepare anything else. He doesn't want to do a few of our most interesting and best menu items and would rather do basic sandwiches, and he doesn't like our original menu items, and referred to it as a trainwreck. We don't have any time left to prepare new menu items so we're pretty much screwed. What should we do?

Well, it seems you hired the wrong chef. You either better hope that the masses you are cooking for don't mind everything doused in Tobasco sauce, or that your new chef will suck it up and forego his sandwiches for something more interesting. Otherwise, you'll have to pull out of your banquet and festival, else sully your restaurant's good name - which is probably going to be trashed anyways, given that very few people will appreciate your Tobasco fest.

Hire a new chef - one that has a sense of seasoning and flavouring, who is willing to hold true to the menu your restaurant has used to establish your reputation, and is willing to add to it in ways that will complement it and help it to grow along the way.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I see what you guys are saying. We don't want to pull out of these two because one is pretty high profile in the Milwaukee area, and the other is just a local way to get some exposure where we're already fan favorites from last year. The singer asked me how I feel about doing some Poison and it doesn't fit our style at all, so that won't work. We only have a short time to learn an entire setlist too. I know all our songs and would be able to sing them, but I'm not good enough to front our band and it could hurt our performance. Plus, I don't want to look like I'm kicking him out so I sing, but that would be the only possible option other than pulling out, which we're not going to do. Our drummer also wouldn't want to kick him out too.
would you rather go see a band with a new lead singer that only plays their mediocre stuff, or would you rather have them pull out and explain to you that they need to work some kinks out?

for me I would much rather have my fav band tell me that they can't play. honestly if I went to see a band and they only played their middle of the road crap and not their good stuff, I'd be pretty pissed.

why would you want exposure with a singer that the band isn't going to like playing with? imho you butchering a song would be no worse than a singer thats going to ruin your band's already established image.

also if your drummer doesn't want to kick him, you should ask him why. I'm sure it's just because his dad suggested him. if thats the case, ask him to give good reasons besides. I mean his father shouldn't really have that much say in who is or isnt in the band unless he's supplying all the equipment.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
replace the singer while you're getting a new chef

i'm wondering how he can sing poison if he can't hold a melody. but yeah, you'd be better off getting a compliant and grateful friend that can carry a tune and look happy than dealing with this guy.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I know you guys are probably inexperienced with bands, otherwise you wouldn't have ended up in this situation. However here's some pointers.

Firstly, refusing to do a song just because you don't like it, or that it's "gay" is completely unprofessional. If you want to be in a hard working covers band, you'd better be ready and willing to play everything from Metallica to Madonna to the Hokey Pokey if its on the set list. You're going to learn songs that you detest, and you're going to look like you're enjoying playing them. If its originals, recognise that somebody in the band put hard work into that song, and you're able to change its feel regardless of what instrument you play. If you can't make your part entertaining for yourself, it's time to learn how to play better.

Eventually you're going to get to the point where you don't care whether you like the song or not, just that the band sounds good playing them. If you have any member who is not in this mentality, then they should leave, now.

Secondly, you shouldn't have hired him in the first place if he wasn't willing and ready to learn the songs you'd already put together. Don't act on the hope that one day he'll swing around, he'll sing them at the audition or not at all.

Thirdly, decide whether you're an originals band or a covers band, or at the very least, figure out different setlists depending on the gig offered.

Finally, you don't have enough time to get a new singer. I'd play these gigs and have a chat to your current singer about these problems. If they can't be sorted out, find a new singer.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^

(Invalid img)

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

We don't want to be a cover band, but we haven't been able to hammer out our own stuff due to time constraints. We're trying to work out a compromise with him using ideas that you guys have all thrown in and if it doesn't work out we're going to switch off vocals on songs he knows and songs the rest of us have been doing.
Quote by booby50
We don't want to be a cover band, but we haven't been able to hammer out our own stuff due to time constraints. We're trying to work out a compromise with him using ideas that you guys have all thrown in and if it doesn't work out we're going to switch off vocals on songs he knows and songs the rest of us have been doing.

I do see what you're getting at.

Here's a handy test to see whether your band is a cover band or not.

Question 1:

Are most of the songs you play covers?

If you answered yes, you are a cover band.

Edit: What does "switch off vocals" mean? Are you going to perform songs live without vocals?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I do see what you're getting at.

Here's a handy test to see whether your band is a cover band or not.

Question 1:

Are most of the songs you play covers?

If you answered yes, you are a cover band.

Edit: What does "switch off vocals" mean? Are you going to perform songs live without vocals?

We don't want to be a cover band, but we haven't been able to work on our own stuff. We have one finished and a couple other demos that aren't ready to be debuted. But by "switch off vocals" I mean he sings the few songs he wants to do, and the rest of us in the band sing the others. We've all been singing them for the past 6 months anyway.
Quote by booby50
We don't want to be a cover band, but we haven't been able to work on our own stuff. We have one finished and a couple other demos that aren't ready to be debuted. But by "switch off vocals" I mean he sings the few songs he wants to do, and the rest of us in the band sing the others. We've all been singing them for the past 6 months anyway.

How did you go with the test?
Soundcloud
^

CT