Hi guys. I have a peavey 3120 running into a stock peavey 6505 speaker cabinet. It sounds, pretty good (although not as "Hi-fidelity" as I thought it might be; it sounds muffled) to my not trained for tubes ears, but many people (i think) have said here that 6505's are decent cabs but they have sucky Sheffield speakers.

That brings us to my questions.

First question: is this cab good enough to go to the trouble of replacing the speakers? Is it like a squire with dimarzios or a ibanez prestige with ibanez gio pickups?

second question: What speaker combination would best fit my sound? I'm looking for a slightly heavier than dream theater sound but not death metal. a prog metal tone, close to say Outworld or Jeff Loomis. I also will need some ability to be flexible but it's not super important.

Im thinking either Eminence Man-o-wars and Eminence Legends in an X or Celestion V30s (don't they make a higher wattage V30? a V60 or something) and Celstion G12T-75s in an X pattern too.

Afterthought Edit: The eminence combo would come to a total of a massive 540 watts, and the celestions would be either 210 or 240 depending on if they make V60s like I think they do. The ohmage would be the same as the cab already is because the sheffields are all 8 ohms and so are all these.

Thanks for any opinions! Even if they are opinions calling me a stupid oaf or whatever.
Quote by Nelsean
The world needs more buttmonkeys.

Quote by Eddie4President
The Buttmonkey for best username, most intelligent posts of 21st century.
Quote by StewieSwan
Good. The world needs more of you.
Last edited by The Buttmonkey at May 21, 2011,
i think basically everything Peavey USA is quality.

you'd probably be very well off upgrading that cabinet. 6505/5150 stuff is beast
Celestion v'30
And ya they are decent
just decent
4V30's will cost you 400$ app
its better to buy a used mesa 2x12/orange 212 cb/harley bentong212 vintage or avatar 2x12 comtemporary cab with v30's
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Yeah deepsal but I like having the two matching Peavey symbols! I'm really liking the idea of the two "X" mixes. The eminence speakers would be around $325 dollars, so unless anyone has any Eminence horror stories, or just thinks they're bad, then......

If not eminence then the Celestion mix, because I like the idea of a mix of sounds, and I'm suprisingly attracted to the G12T-75s that I've heard. Also the 4 V30's would be 120 watts, so I would have little headroom, which I like a lot of.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
the sound that you are looking for will come out best from the cabs i mentioned and 4 v30 will be 240w soo
unless you want to impress wimmen with a half stack i dont see the point of keeping a 4x12 i find them a pain in the ass to carry and i would choose v30 over greenbacks anyday
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by The Buttmonkey
Also the 4 V30's would be 120 watts, so I would have little headroom, which I like a lot of.

It'd be 240 watts. V30 speakers are 60 watts. Some of them are apparently 70 watts too.

You will notice an improvement in tone if you get a quad of V30's or a criss cross of two different types of speakers (like V30's and G12T-75's)

Still, the build quality and structure of the cab also impact the tone. I'm not sure how the Peavey cabs stack up so I can't help you there. All I know is that I don't like the sound of sheffield speakers and that V30's would definitely sound better.
Quote by deepsal
the sound that you are looking for will come out best from the cabs i mentioned and 4 v30 will be 240w soo
unless you want to impress wimmen with a half stack i dont see the point of keeping a 4x12 i find them a pain in the ass to carry and i would choose v30 over greenbacks anyday

I somehow think he knows what a 4x12 is like to lug around. I for one far prefer a 4x12 and think the inconvenience is more than worth it.

TS: forget about trying to have a "matching suit". Your rig would look just as impressive with a Mesa cab as it would with a Peavey cab - more so if the person knows what they are looking at.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Okay, thanks for telling me the wattage of the V30's. I thought the number was the wattage, like on the G12T-75s. I feel dumb now, lol.

I'll try an X mix of Celestions when I get (alot of) money.

Anyone have anything to say regarding the quality of the 6505 cab itself?
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
The build quality of peavey amps and cabs is top notch
the problem with the peavey cab is its dimentions not its quality...if you know what i mean
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
I didn't really mean build quality, I can tell it's that, I meant like acoustics quality.

And no I don't know what you mean because I'm kinda a noob at cabs. *shame face*
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
I was talking about the acoustic quality only
the dimention decides the acoustic quality
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by deepsal
I was talking about the acoustic quality only
the dimention decides the acoustic quality

not really.

the speakers will define the acoustic quality, the cabinet interacts with the speaker to effect the speaker's resonance frequency and the speakers damping qualities (and too much or too little damping directly effects 'acoustic quality'). so a cabinet built around a speaker's needs is much more useful than just a closed, ported, open back, 'bigger' or 'smaller' cabinet (especially in the PA and hi-fi world).

edit: also, material's used in the cabinet's construction do effect it's sound. many cab makers use baltic birch or other 'voidless' ply materials because they hardly resonate (which means less rattle, flexing and loss of sound energy in resonance). so dimensions aren't the only factor in 'acoustic quality'.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at May 22, 2011,