Page 1 of 2
Daniel Kish has been sightless since he was a year old. Yet he can mountain bike. And navigate the wilderness alone. And recognize a building as far away as 1,000 feet. How? The same way bats can see in the dark.

The first thing Daniel Kish does, when I pull up to his tidy gray bungalow in Long Beach, California, is make fun of my driving. “You’re going to leave it that far from the curb?” he asks. He’s standing on his stoop, a good 10 paces from my car. I glance behind me as I walk up to him. I am, indeed, parked about a foot and a half from the curb.

The second thing Kish does, in his living room a few minutes later, is remove his prosthetic eyeballs. He does this casually, like a person taking off a smudged pair of glasses. The prosthetics are thin convex shells, made of acrylic plastic, with light brown irises. A couple of times a day they need to be cleaned. “They get gummy,” he explains. Behind them is mostly scar tissue. He wipes them gently with a white cloth and places them back in.

Kish was born with an aggressive form of cancer called retinoblastoma, which attacks the retinas. To save his life, both of his eyes were removed by the time he was 13 months old. Since his infancy — Kish is now 44 — he has been adapting to his blindness in such remarkable ways that some people have wondered if he’s playing a grand practical joke. But Kish, I can confirm, is completely blind.

He knew my car was poorly parked because he produced a brief, sharp click with his tongue. The sound waves he created traveled at a speed of more than 1,000 feet per second, bounced off every object around him, and returned to his ears at the same rate, though vastly decreased in volume.

But not silent. Kish has trained himself to hear these slight echoes and to interpret their meaning. Standing on his front stoop, he could visualize, with an extraordinary degree of precision, the two pine trees on his front lawn, the curb at the edge of his street, and finally, a bit too far from that curb, my rental car. Kish has given a name to what he does — he calls it “FlashSonar” — but it’s more commonly known by its scientific term, echolocation.

Bats, of course, use echolocation. Beluga whales too. Dolphins. And Daniel Kish. He is so accomplished at echolocation that he’s able to pedal his mountain bike through streets heavy with traffic and on precipitous dirt trails. He climbs trees. He camps out, by himself, deep in the wilderness. He’s lived for weeks at a time in a tiny cabin a two-mile hike from the nearest road. He travels around the globe. He’s a skilled cook, an avid swimmer, a fluid dance partner. Essentially, though in a way that is unfamiliar to nearly any other human being, Kish can see.

This is not enough for him. Kish is seeking — despite a lack of support from every mainstream blind organization in America — nothing less than a profound reordering of the way the world views blind people, and the way blind people view the world. He’s tired of being told that the blind are best served by staying close to home, sticking only to memorized routes, and depending on the unreliable benevolence of the sighted to do anything beyond the most routine of tasks.

Kish preaches complete and unfettered independence, even if the result produces the occasional bloody gash or broken bone. (He once fractured the heel of his left foot after leaping from a rock and has broken a couple of teeth.) He’s regarded by some in the blind community with deep veneration. Others, like a commenter on the National Federation of the Blind’s listserv, consider him “disgraceful” for promoting behavior such as tongue clicking that could be seen as off-putting and abnormal.

Kish and a handful of coworkers run a nonprofit organization called World Access for the Blind, headquartered in Kish’s home. World Access offers training on how to gracefully interact with one’s environment, using echolocation as a primary tool. So far, in the decade it has existed, the organization has introduced more than 500 students to echolocation. Kish is not the first blind person to use echolocation, but he’s the only one to meticulously document it, to break it down into its component parts, and to figure out how to teach it. His dream is to help all sight-impaired people see the world as clearly as he does.

http://www.mensjournal.com/the-blind-man-who-taught-himself-to-see

this is incredible.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

just... wow! seriously, i'm amazed.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Damn, that's impressive. Better remember his name in case something causes me to go blind.

Also, did anyone else think of this guy?
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
TL;DR

I skipped most of it but i remember seeing a documentary on him and his 'whistling' technique.

Edit: Clicking thing
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at May 21, 2011,
Quote by robhc
Old news is rather exciting I see...

it might be old to you but its new to us
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
a commenter on the National Federation of the Blind’s listserv, consider him “disgraceful” for promoting behavior such as tongue clicking that could be seen as off-putting and abnormal.

What a prick.

OT though, that is pretty amazing. I always thought there should have been some invention for this kind of thing a long time ago, but human ears and brains were not adapted in the right way to be able to.
I stand corrected Mr.Kish. (there should be a smiley for shaking hands)
I just tried clicking with my tongue there to see if I could pick up anything. Didn't do shit.

Seriously, though; my mind is blown.
Quote by metallica #1
This is truly amazing but, this is kinda old. A small group of blind people can actually do it.

rule of thumb is; if it's reached the news, a hundred other kids have already done it, and probably better.

that's the shitty reality. no matter how good you are, there's always somebody better.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
rule of thumb is; if it's reached the news, a hundred other kids have already done it, and probably better.

that's the shitty reality. no matter how good you are, there's always somebody better.

Yes, harsh reality. But, reality hurts.
Quote by metallica #1
Yes, harsh reality. But, reality hurts.

that's why drugs/alcohol is here to balance things out and mix reality with imagination (:
Saw this on a show on History channel, pretty amazing.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Quote by Crofty89

First thing that crossed my mind
I leik music
Quote by Norse Thrasher
More proof for evolutionist theories.

what are you talking about? this is proof that God is forgiving and merciful. He gave this man a chance to live an awesome life even though he lost both his eyes.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
what are you talking about? this is proof that God is forgiving and merciful. He gave this man a chance to live an awesome life even though he lost both his eyes.

ability to use echolocation =/= awesome life

god's a dick for taking his sight to begin with
Quote by fearofthemark
God intentionally made it difficult for this man to operate on the same level as people with eyesight. Fuck that shit, yo.
Quote by laid-to-waste
ability to use echolocation =/= awesome life

god's a dick for taking his sight to begin with

The Lord didn't take away his sight, that was clearly the devil's doing. God merely gave him a second chance.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
The Lord didn't take away his sight, that was clearly the devil's doing. God merely gave him a second chance.
Source? I thought that it was cancer that took away his eyesight
Regardless of how much I want to refer to him as "batman", this is pretty incredible.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by due 07
Source? I thought that it was cancer that took away his eyesight

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
Ah, the bible.

I don't think it mentions this fellow in The Bible.
My spider senses are tingling

Is what that guy will say.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Already new about this, it was on a documentary I saw ages ago.
He looks retarded when he goes "Tick tick tick" though lol, but damn when you know his doing echo shiy its heaps awesome.
METAL!
Quote by due 07
Ah, the bible.

I don't think it mentions this fellow in The Bible.

Sure it does:

And the Man; whom whilst amongst us remains separate; for he is Blind to us, and us to him; yet he is not blind to the Lord, our Savior, who shall heal him from Lucifer's clutches; And the Lord giveth echolocation; And He said, "This man shalst be awesome - Mark 13:42
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
Sure it does:

And the Man; whom whilst amongst us remains separate; for he is Blind to us, and us to him; yet he is not blind to the Lord, our Savior, who shall heal him from Lucifer's clutches; And the Lord giveth echolocation; And He said, "This man shalst be awesome - Mark 13:42

My favourite part of that book. God is ****in' awesome. He wrote that shit in one day. And then he just rested.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by fearofthemark
Sure it does:

Quote by due 07

You should listen to his words instead of mocking them with blasphemy. You atheists act as if you're right all the time, well let me ask this, where did your precious science come from? God, that's where.

Christians 1

Atheists 0
Quote by Zoot Allures
You should listen to his words instead of mocking them with blasphemy. You atheists act as if you're right all the time, well let me ask this, where did your precious science come from? God, that's where.

Christians 1

Atheists 0

And where did your precious God come from? Science, that's where. God was created as a genetic project, then sent back in time to create the universe.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Sure is troll in here.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Page 1 of 2