If i often tune my guitar to alternative tunings?
THIS IS FOR COWS!
No
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Yeah, bad idea.

Buy a Floyd if you play standard and stick to it. For best results you want something with a hard-tail if you're going to change tuning regularly or go down to something like drop C.
My floyd rose equipped guitar doesn't leave C#-F#-B-E#-G#-C#, or B-F#-B-E#-G#-C#. You're not going to be able to easily make a bigger change than that, so either use the old guitar for anything other than your primary tuning, or don't bother.
A FR is a beautiful thing but is limited by its fiddely nature. If you're looking for a one-size-fits-all multi-purpose guitar and as a player you frequently change tunings then a Floyd is a very bad idea, you definately want something with a hard-tail.

I've got a friend who ignored my advice on this and he totally wore out his hardware on his floyd switching between drop C and standard, so much so he's having to replace it.
not a chance.

the basic nature of how a floyd works makes alternating tunings (alternating, not alternate) a practical impossibility. it is possible to do, if you're willing to do a complete set-up every time you switch, but that would be stupid
Nah. Forget Floyd Roses.
Unless your playing in Standard all the time, or can afford to get lots of guitars with Floyd's set up for every tuning (Only Alexi Laiho can do that because his the best female guitarist ever).
I've played Floyd Rose guitars, trust me, all your going to be missing out on is dive dombs, which can be easily be done by sliding up the fretboard and then sliding down quickly.
METAL!
No, the very reason I got rid of my floyd guitar was that I alternate tunings a lot. If you want a guitar that stays in E Standard or some tuning that you will always need AND want a tremolo for, then go for it, it will stay in tune great. But if you change tunings a lot and try doing it on a FR then either you really really enjoy setting guitars up, or you're setting yourself up for a pain in the neck that's really not worth it, I know because that's what I did. Always go with a fixed bridge for alternating tuning.

Now, if you're looking at a particular guitar that happens to have a floyd, you can block it or install a Tremol No, but you lose the ability to use the trem, and have a slightly longer restringing process than you would have from a fixed bridge.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at May 22, 2011,
Quote by Ultraussie
Nah. Forget Floyd Roses.
Unless your playing in Standard all the time, or can afford to get lots of guitars with Floyd's set up for every tuning (Only Alexi Laiho can do that because his the best female guitarist ever).
I've played Floyd Rose guitars, trust me, all your going to be missing out on is dive dombs, which can be easily be done by sliding up the fretboard and then sliding down quickly.

Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Not really. You'll stress it and your strings and your neck and yourself too much. If you desperately need a trem system get a Strat-style trem and screw it down, or a Floyd and block it. So basically... making them less useful as trems is the solution to using them in lots of tunings.

Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

I think it was an attempt at a joke? Gotta love '11ers
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
Gotta love '11ers

**** you, guy, I'm awesome

Anyway, I've found that most people overrate how much they need a FR. Unless you play a shitload of Satriani and Vai type stuff, you don't really need one. And while it's nice to have, it can be a pain in the ass.
Floyd roses are worth it.
Just buy another guitar or guitars which is what you end up doing if you love to play the instrument
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions