So I have a 700 euros budget for a new amp and decided to go with a new Engl Thunder.

Thing is, both the clean and the lead channel share the gain knob. Which means if you play on the lead channel with full gain, switching to the clean channel won't be able to sound really clean, maybe bluesy.

My question to you Thunder owners is:

How annoying is that? Are you able to play high gain stuff and switch to descent cleans in between?
The gain knob only affects the crunch/lead channels the clean is separate and independent of whatever setting the gain is at.

If you're guitar volume knobs are full on then the clean breaks up really easily making that blues tone. Lower the guitar volume and it goes away leaving a nice clean. The Thunder has separate volumes for the lead/crunch and clean channels for a reason, to allow both to be as loud as each other when switching.
Quote by Splif-Burton
The gain knob only affects the crunch/lead channels the clean is separate and independent of whatever setting the gain is at.

If you're guitar volume knobs are full on then the clean breaks up really easily making that blues tone. Lower the guitar volume and it goes away leaving a nice clean. The Thunder has separate volumes for the lead/crunch and clean channels for a reason, to allow both to be as loud as each other when switching.

That clears things up, thanks a lot!
Foots witches are great investments. The Thunder is a pretty versatile amp, not my favourite ENGL but still nice sounding. You could get an additional Dirt pedal, they take pedals nicely.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I read the reviews for the thunder here in UG and I quote:

"It is only missing one feature. There is only one gain knob to control all three channels, meaning that the clean channel is very dirty if engaged during a heavy song, but that doesn't bother me, as I only play metal"

Which kind of contradicts what Splif-Burton said.

I just want to be clear about it before I go on and buy the amp, so is the reviewer wrong?
How about you go read them manualz

http://www.engl-amps.com/cms/uploads/tx_ddfproducts/OM_E320-II_Thunder_50_Reverb_E322___E325_Thunder.pdf

And I quote:

Gain
Controls input sensitivity. Use this knob and the Master (10) control to adjust
the volume of the Clean channel. For the Crunch and Lead channels,
Gain controls the amount of preamp distortion.
TIP: Using different combinations of Gain, Master and channel Volume knob settings,
you'll be able to come up with a vast range of great sounds for the three channels
Clean, Crunch and Lead. Check out the diagram at the right to see our suggested
Crunch channel Gain settings for the two most popular types of pick-ups.
BTW, the gain knob DOES affect the clean channel.

Gain + Master knobs control the volume & "harshness" of the clean channel.

If this gain is past 12 o' clock, the cleans break up really easily. And that can be annoying during a high-gain song with clean parts.
Quote by Tokki Wartooth
BTW, the gain knob DOES affect the clean channel.

Gain + Master knobs control the volume & "harshness" of the clean channel.

If this gain is past 12 o' clock, the cleans break up really easily. And that can be annoying during a high-gain song with clean parts.

sorry i'm late to get you this, but i just sold my thunder. i was about to correct the chump above and say that the gain knob affects everything on these.

i think it was a huge flaw with the design, and i dont think they are too usable in a live setting.

good tone if you need a single channel amp though.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
i think it was a huge flaw with the design, and i dont think they are too usable in a live setting.

good tone if you need a single channel amp though.

I got the amp, and really the only flaw until now, is this.

I can manage it by having 1 of the guitar volume knobs almost all the way down, and switch to that pickup when the clean channel is on.

But having to press the footswitch + change the p-up selector position right in the middle of a song is a bit of a delay, and yeah, it's going to be annoying when we play a gig. I'm trying to get used to it though, I've developed some pretty fast reflexes
Quote by Tokki Wartooth
I got the amp, and really the only flaw until now, is this.

I can manage it by having 1 of the guitar volume knobs almost all the way down, and switch to that pickup when the clean channel is on.

But having to press the footswitch + change the p-up selector position right in the middle of a song is a bit of a delay, and yeah, it's going to be annoying when we play a gig. I'm trying to get used to it though, I've developed some pretty fast reflexes

its still a bit of a shame, i thought the clean channel was really good.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
its still a bit of a shame, i thought the clean channel was really good.

It is, it really is. It's a really good amp, minus the shared gain.

Anyways thanks for the input greeny