So my brother's birthday is coming up. He'll be 24 and thus has an income and doesn't need anything but we're thinking of getting him an electric drum kit as he has always expressed an interest in drums but never bit the bullet and went for a set.

I'm a guitarist and thus not well versed in the ways of drum gear but I figure an electric drum kit would be great as it would be small enough for an apartment while not annoying roommates and/or neighbours.

So basically I'm looking for suggestions on affordable but good basic kits that he could play with.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!
Get a Yamaha DTXPLORER.

There is one sitting right next to me right now. I essentially play it whenever I have any form of a beat going through my head. Most drummers will say 'Electric drums kits suck and they are no where near as good as real drums', but that's a lie. They are a brilliant kit that is perfect for anyone really.

I mean, you don't ever want to go any cheaper than the DTXPLORER.. or you will hate them. honest. But yeah, if you have even more money to burn.. definitely try out the Yamaha DTXPRESS IV too.

DTXPLORER in my opinion is the way to go. I've only played drums for half a year.. and my skill has improved ridiculously since owning it.
Quote by some.will.seek
'Electric drums kits suck and they are no where near as good as real drums', but that's a lie.

Electronic kits cannot match acoustic kits in terms of feel and response. I think it's pretty much accepted as fact that electronic kits are not on par with acoustic kits.

That said, there's nothing wrong with a good electronic kit. I have a Roland TD-4, which is a mid-range kit. Like I said, it doesn't match up to a good acoustic kit, but it is the next best thing. I love my TD-4, it's great. I play it through a Roland PM-10 monitor.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLTD4K2

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at May 21, 2011,
Electronic kits cannot match acoustic kits in terms of feel and response. I think it's pretty much accepted as fact that electronic kits are not on par with acoustic kits.

Yeah, I probably worded my statement wrong. They are both good for different things. I do agree with you.. it's just that alot of drummers do the same thing as guitarists when the word 'Guitar Hero' is said. Drummers think.. 'real drums = the only way' because they can't except that someone else got 'good' by using a different method than them.
Electric drums are a great place to start, and learn simple beats, with the feel of a real kit, but I agree that it doesn't have the response, or the ability to really control your sound and technique.

I started on an electric kit, and it was a good way to get into the feel of drumming, such as hand coordination, which is probably good for your brother, if he's never played before.

As for kits, Roland and Yamaha make great entry level/ mid level electric kits, and I had a Roland HD1-V before I sold it. Its a great sounding kit, with plenty of presets, but I replaced it with a full acoustic kit, which suits me a whole lot more.