Alrite so a little while ago i bought a used '98 mexican strat with fender noiseless pups. Pretty much whenever i use the trem bar it goes dramatically out of tune so here's the question: Do i need locking tuners, a locking nut, both, or a new trem system altogether? And what brands/models are decent?
Thanks in advance
My HW1 went out of tune using the trem. I put on Sperzal locking tuners and that did the trick. Would you believe that there were 2 pre-drilled holes in the headstock for the index pin, but I still had to drill a new one. :p
Well if its been around since 1998 and since then the trem hasn't been used thoroughly, it can make the guitar get used to acting like a stoptail. So then when you play about with it it'll go all over the place. It may come down to just re-ajusting the neck and bridge and letting it get back used to how it should have been before (this is pretty much the best solution for floating bridges easily). Don't be so quick to splurge money on some locking tuners when you may not need to
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Well if its been around since 1998 and since then the trem hasn't been used thoroughly, it can make the guitar get used to acting like a stoptail. So then when you play about with it it'll go all over the place. It may come down to just re-ajusting the neck and bridge and letting it get back used to how it should have been before (this is pretty much the best solution for floating bridges easily). Don't be so quick to splurge money on some locking tuners when you may not need to

Do you even know what you are talking about?
Basically, to get a Synchronized Tremolo working properly; your goal is have the least amount of friction between the tremolo and the tuners, where the strings should be securely attached either through locking tuners or other ways. The three things that cause the most friction are the bridge saddles, the nut and the string trees. Replacing any/all of these should increase tuning stability greatly.

Two things to look at are roller saddles, which are fairly easy to install, and roller nuts, which are much hard. You can listen to some Jeff Beck; he uses his normal two point Stratocaster Tremolo in ways that'd make Hendrix jealous. The Jeff Beck signature model uses a LSR Roller nut (I think Beck's main guitar uses an old Wilkinson roller nut) and locking tuners. If you install a roller nut, you also don't have to use string trees either.

So, to recap; I recommend locking tuners, a roller (or low friction) nut, and roller (or low friction) bridge saddles.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by littlephil
A properly cut & lubricated nut helps a lot, but mostly its about the setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-F7iSIopA
Thats a great guide on how to set up the trem, he's using a Mexi Strat in that video.

thanks allot for this video, really helped me to set it up. i guess we'll see how it holds up once i play it for an hour or two.