Never thought I'd have to make a topic about that but I'm starting to feel really stupid. I'm putting a medium set of Elixers (13s) on my taylor 310, and I've tried three separate .26 G strings, and all snap at about a half step below G. Now I've had this guitar for at least seven years, and change strings all the time. My dad bought me these strings a while ago, and i usually use a lighter set, usually like 12s and i'm pretty sure the G is usually a 23. I'm pissed though because obviously that makes no sense, I should be able to put medium gauge strings on any acoustic without them snapping, and I'm pretty sure somewhere along the line I've put a 26 G on this guitar. All the other strings have mucho tension as well. I really don't want to stroll into a shop just to feel like an idiot for a dumb oversight, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me. I've tried using different pins. I thought about the saddle since it's developed notches from the strings, but I wouldn't think that would be enough to make a difference. Other than my neck warping from changing tunings often, which again I wouldn't expect to happen at all, I'm out of ideas. Can't play in Eb standard with a first fret capo for the rest of my life.
i've seen a number of threads on agf about elixers and breaking G strings.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Yeah, something about the G on Elixir/Taylors is weird. I occasionally had the same problem when I used mediums. I've switched to lights in the last year and haven't broken one like that since but that's probably not the best solution.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Ok cool well you guys definitely gave me some reassurance, I would try lighter gauge strings but I'm out of town right now so I'll pick some up when I get back. I think I'm gonna bring it to the shop anyway, as I said it's definitely time for a new saddle and I'm noticing my pins have chipped a bit, maybe I'll just have them look the whole thing over anyway, couldn't hurt. Thanks guys.