Personal preference, some people do it once a year, others once a week. If you have to ask I'd say about every 3-6 months, or when they start feeling, well not good anymore...
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
well I know it is all personal preference, I was just wondering if there was like a time frame for best performance and tone
I do it when the strings start to sound dull, the intonation has dropped out of whack or I can feel pitting on the strings. I used to be a lot harder on strings and would replace the strings before every gig - even if the last gig was only a week ago. I hate dull strings and hate bad intonation even more. So how often you change them depends on how you play and how fussy you are about your tone. Go by the state of the strings, not a time period.

PS: I use 9-42 as well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 22, 2011,
Odds are, the strings will let you know lol.

If you've got the money, change em every day, but generally it's most cost effective to change them when one breaks if you're not like in the studio recording or something.

Unless they just don't break and get grimy. You might wanna just replace them after about 3/4 months if they haven't broken on ya.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
9/42s....

pfft.

rubberbands have moar toan.

TS, when they feel and/or sound dull/dead as said.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 22, 2011,
I replace mine every month. I play a couple hours almost every day. I play hard though. But you'll feel when it's time.
If you have to ask, it's time to change them.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by gregs1020
9/42s....

pfft.

rubberbands have moar toan.

Some of us are carrying motorbike injuries and have to compromise. Even 9-46 will make my entire forearm swell up, with 9-42's I can get through a gig just as long as I follow it by submersing my arm in ice.
And anyway, Billy Gibbons uses 8's so

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I bet you play a half step down too right?

Yea I got some battle injuries too. Rt thumb almost came off once, waterskiing dealeo. Ooops. Never try that one again.
Quote by gregs1020

Yea I got some battle injuries too. Rt thumb almost came off once, waterskiing dealeo. Ooops. Never try that one again.

Actually, no I don't tune down. I play keyboards as well so having to transpose all my keyboards to suit is just too much of a pita, especially on the DX7s. I have started playing a lot more slide lately though which gives my wrist a break. Playing keyboards is good for a break too. Piano is much, much kinder on the hands.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by bandsunnyside
every day just like kirk hammett......

this. its only about 120-130 bucks a month. no big deal

btw, 9-46 hybrid slinky's the way to go
Last edited by ampoverload at May 22, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Actually, no I don't tune down. I play keyboards as well so having to transpose all my keyboards to suit is just too much of a pita, especially on the DX7s. I have started playing a lot more slide lately though which gives my wrist a break. Playing keyboards is good for a break too. Piano is much, much kinder on the hands.

A lot of lady gaga covers?
Quote by gregs1020
A lot of lady gaga covers?

Not bloody likely.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ampoverload
this. its only about 120-130 bucks a month. no big deal

$6 a pack is about $180 a month. Per guitar. Me having 3 guitars would be about $540 per month. A little more since 7 string packs cost more. So let's say about $600 a month.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I change string once a month but when gigging I change string a least a hour a head
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by gregs1020

who would tune half step down with 9-42 strings? even on standard tuning the strings feel quite loose
Quote by sewoo55
who would tune half step down with 9-42 strings? even on standard tuning the strings feel quite loose

Yngwie Malmsteen, for one.

Actually he does that with gauge 8...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by sewoo55

I was trolling cath. Katsup.
i tried 8's on my mim strat tuned to Eb...
No tone, all flub and it was easy to play but it felt bad. Put on 11's in standard, now it hurts to fingerpick and to play more than 20 mins.

8's on my friends SG feel the same as the strat, its ridiculous. Only recommended for FR guitars. because it's quite tighter on fr's than on other bridge types. 9's are my preference now.