Hi,
making a thread here because I along time ago played a 12 string acoustic guitar.
It was ****ing awesome, especially with the tremolo picking, it was soo awesome.
The beatles used Electric 12 strings, and thats all I've seen of electric 12 strings.
So are there any "Metal" 12 strings about?
Like with double humbuckers, jumbo frets, longer scale length, and doesn't look like something your Grampa might play?
I'm just curious as I've never seen it before and I reckon it'd be interesting to incorporate into my sound.
METAL!
Just google image search "12 string electric"
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
the extra octave doesn't usually go with metal, but i'm sure somebody has made it work.
My lead guitarist in my avant garde band uses a 12 string SG time to time.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Cobalt Blue
the extra octave doesn't usually go with metal, but i'm sure somebody has made it work.

Black metal would be really interesting with a 12-string.
modes are a social construct
You obviously haven't seen Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden where Jimmy whips out his electric double neck guitar and plays stairway to heaven!!!
Hmmm...

The Dean Boca 12 has 2 humbuckers, but it's a semi-hollowbody. While there are some who use semihollows for metal, they're rare.

I found a Jay Turser SG 12 on EBay for @$300.

BC Rich has some 10s. Shechter has at least one model.

See this search for more: http://www.google.com/m/products?client=safari&hl=en&oe=UTF-8&source=search&channel=products&aq=f&oq=&aqi=-k0d0t0&fkt=1263&fsdt=6420&cqt=&rst=&htf=&his=&maction=&q=%2212+string%22+solid+body+electric+guitar+-acoustic

Many guitar makers make doublenecks that are 6 on one and 12 on the other- I've seen Minariks, SGs, First Act (customs) and BC Riches that are like that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 22, 2011,
12 strings are completely different from 10 strings, so the comparison is moot. Honestly, they could easily be used, especially on breakdowns.
Quote by trueamerican
12 strings are completely different from 10 strings

Not the BC Rich 10 strings he was talking about. They have the same layout as a 12 string, except with 2 less strings, with octaves or doubles of the string.
Quote by littlephil
Not the BC Rich 10 strings he was talking about. They have the same layout as a 12 string, except with 2 less strings, with octaves or doubles of the string.

So it's basically a five string guitar with the octaves.... Why would anyone want that?
No, it doesn't have doubles of the high or low E. I don't know how they're tuned, but its basically a 6 with 4 doubles.
Quote by littlephil
No, it doesn't have doubles of the high or low E. I don't know how they're tuned, but its basically a 6 with 4 doubles.

Oh. That's pretty weird. I wonder how chords would sound....
And the Shechter was a 12.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
mastodon made it work

gear
-Richwood: stratocaster
-Ibanez: RG7321
-Fender: Fm 212R
-Line 6: Floorpod
-Epiphone: G-400
-Squier: P bass
-ESP: LTD MH-50NT
Matt Pike from High on Fire plays a 9-string, which is a 12-string without the octave doubles on the low strings.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by trueamerican
So it's basically a five string guitar with the octaves.... Why would anyone want that?

No, it's basically a 12 but the two smallest strings aren't doubled, so you get all 6 strings. xD I think it's better personally, the E and B doubles are tuned the same, so what's the use of having them, they just make another string to tune and IMO it makes bending harder. Dave Mustaine used to use a BC Rich 10-string in Metallica but it was set up like a 6, I'm pretty sure. I think it'd be pretty cool for some lead stuff but it'd probably just be easier to get a pitch shifter/octave pedal, and plus I don't think it'd work too well with a Floyd.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Yeh its certaintly pretty rare, but yeah I was aware of the BC Rich 10 string "Bich", but it wasnt a true 12 string.

In metal I have seen 12 strings. As in, well,, 12 strings, not doubles of a 6 string, 12 STRINGS!! The necks are soo wide lol.
METAL!
Agile makes a couple twelve string models. I know they have a black lp shaped fretless 12 available
Brent Hinds from Mastodon uses a 12-string on some songs, other than this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXMvX4v9TRc - song stars around 0:35) I'm not too sure what other songs he uses it one, but I think it sounds pretty cool
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
As already mentioned Brent Hinds from Mastodon uses a 12-string in some songs, a First Act 12-string too.

Yes it's a custom shop First Act. :P

Heres his guitar by the way.

THIS IS FOR COWS!