Budget? - Up to $700 maximum.

Genres? - Alternative Rock/Metal/Punk (www.illadvised.net). Favorite guitarists: Quinn Allman, Kurt Cobain, Jared Leto, Ray Toro, Frank Iero, Jade Pudget.

New or Used? - Either.

Home or Gig? - Both.

Closest City? - New York City/Northern New Jersey area.

Current Gear? - Epiphone SG 1966 Reissue G-400 Limited Edition. Basic Boss distortion/overdrive pedal.

I recently started playing rhythm guitar in my band (I'm the lead singer) and I've been using my friend's Marshall MG100HDFX half-stack. I'm figuring I'm going to have to get an amp of my own that will work for shows pretty soon but am at a loss of where to start. Although I'll be recording lead and rhythm parts live I'll just be doing rhythm guitar for the most part when I have to pick up the guitar for songs that need it if that makes a difference. I've read good things about the MG100HDFX but I haven't been too impressed with it. The tone doesn't sound that great and clearly computerized (except for the clean) and when I have to turn it up at practice I feel like every note isn't as pronounced as I would like it to be. It sounds kind of muddy and sloppy. It is a used amp, so for all I know something could be wrong with it.

I'm looking for something that isn't too expensive and doesn't have tons of effects, but isn't completely bare either (I'd rather use pedals than have to configure tons of pre-sets) but that has a decent tone and is loud enough to play at clubs. I don't have a very large budget but if it's a matter of a hundred bucks give or take for something better I'd probably be able to do it so something probably no more expensive than $650 if possible. It doesn't have to be a tube amp but something that doesn't sound watered down when you crank up the volume would be awesome.

I've really only seen the Fender Frontman 212R 100W (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104506076-i1323510.gc) which I was surprisingly impressed with and sounded pretty good with some pedals and the Marshall MG100HDFX.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Last edited by ComeUndone at May 22, 2011,
Unless you were to buy a Behringer or a SS Spider it would be hard to pick two worse amps than an MG or a Frontman.
You could get a used JCM900 for that sort of money and even cheaper; they haven't held their value like other Marshall flagship models. Not the best amp out there but for the money it would be hard to beat for the application. Otherwise there are a few other viable options; Traynor, Jet City, Bugera.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For Punk, the JCM900 is excellent, it really excels at it. It can also do everything else, though not as well as it does punk.

Bugera 1990, and the Bugera 6260 should also do the job well, if you can find them in your price range.

You could also try finding a used Orange TH30.
I just picked up a used Blackstar HT 40 Club, it's like new.

It doesn't have metal like gain but it does pretty much else. The tone is breathtaking!
The KH-120 signature head is good, I know that.
Quote by geanes
My favorite 'UGer.

Edit: Kensai, I'm taking that as you want to sleep with me. In which case, I'm flattered.
Orange all day, or you can get a 6505 combo and just use low gain for the rock stuff
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Jcm900 is excellent for punk. The Buzzcocks use 'em, need I say more??

I'd deffo search around for one if I were you
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Aside from bee-calling, the only thing a JCM 900 is good at is punk/grunge rock.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys. I looked at the JCM 900 and it looks like an awesome amp, but although my band is punk influenced, guitar wise I don't think it's that prevalent...more so metal/alternative rock than punk. But, would adding an overdrive or metal-zone pedal fix that? Also, are you talking about the head alone being in my price range or the cab and head? I'm graduating from high school this year and apparently you get money (just found out today haha) so I may be able to expand my budget a bit.

Good to know about the marshall and 212r frontman. I'm glad I decided against buying it off that kid. My friend has an Engl Powerball and an orange cab but that ran him $3,000 and is kind of overkill for what I need to do.
The JCM 900 combo can do metal/alt rock too, so never fear. Some would disagree but that's for your ears to decide. Since you obviously were turned off by the tone of the Marshall MG without first being told it's a crap amp I think you can trust yourself in deciding if an amp works for what you want to do. For $700 you can also look for an Orange Tiny Terror combo or the 6505. Don't worry about your friends Engle+Orange halfstack, with your budget as it stands you're probably looking at combos only.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by rockxwl
The JCM 900 combo can do metal/alt rock too, so never fear. Some would disagree but that's for your ears to decide. Since you obviously were turned off by the tone of the Marshall MG without first being told it's a crap amp I think you can trust yourself in deciding if an amp works for what you want to do. For $700 you can also look for an Orange Tiny Terror combo or the 6505. Don't worry about your friends Engle+Orange halfstack, with your budget as it stands you're probably looking at combos only.

Good to know, thanks! I know combos (especially if they're tubes) can go pretty loud. I'm concerned about the tone and quality obviously before volume because you can always mic an amp worse comes to worse, but as far as being able to play it at the very least at practice above a drummer and then at clubs I'm assuming combos like you've mentioned would be able to cut it, especially if I'm just playing rhythm? I also looked up the JCM 900 combo and I can only find used ones. Has it been discontinued?
Last edited by ComeUndone at May 22, 2011,
My friend suggested the Jet City JCA20H...he doesn't know much about them but has heard a lot of good things. I know the clean isn't that great on Peavey 6505+'s but is there a way to get around that with effects or pedals? Any thoughts on the JCA20H vs. Peavey 6505+? I think it's down to those two.
If you can wait a nother month or two, the Jet city JCA22h is comming out this has 2 channels and the 2nd ch is the SLO overdrive channel( you know the one that the 5150 wants to be) should be pretty awesome if you can wait.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you can wait a nother month or two, the Jet city JCA22h is comming out this has 2 channels and the 2nd ch is the SLO overdrive channel( you know the one that the 5150 wants to be) should be pretty awesome if you can wait.

I'll probably be getting one the end of June/July 4th weekend. Would it be out by then do you think? I'm trading in my old drum set and some other equipment to guitar center so it just makes sense to get it there. I heard the Jet City cabs are pretty shitty...can you suggest a good cab to go with the JCA20/22h?
I don't know if it will be out then, but the JCA20h will cover most territories, and with a pedal it will do just about anything. Yeah if you want a good sounding cab for cheep look at the Avatar 2x12 cabs, they will make it any color tolex/grill and load it with your choice of speakers. But the 2x12 JCA is actualy very nice for the price@$220 it even has eminence drivers, and you can always swap speakers if you want a diffrent sound.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate