Page 1 of 2
Hey UG,

I would like to know which Metallica and Megadeth songs are the hardest.

I play rhythm not solos so I think the fastest would be hard...

Thanks
Blackened is quite challenging to stay in sync with the rest of the band, esp. when the drums just seem to make no sense at all. I think that's after the solo.

Holy Wars is probably one of megadeth's hardest songs.
If I'm high, does that make me a Flying Dutchman?

Legal weed, windmills, clogs, and speed cameras. Welcome to the Netherlands!
Battery, Fight Fire With Fire and The Four Horsemen i would imagine is pretty hard too...
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Tornado of souls I guess?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
Tornado of souls I guess?

Rhythmically I think ToS is quite easy actually.
For Megadeth She-Wolf has a really interesting galloping rhythm and different chord changes. For Metallica I guess some of their older stuff off of Kill em all.
Jump in the fire has a lot of fast solo parts... And from Megadeth i would recommend trying poison was the cure
For Metallica the early stuff is quite easy. And Justice For All album is a challenge due to arrangements and length of songs so give them a go. Frayed Ends of Sanity from that album is really cool.

Also for a change of pace some of the Load/Reload stuff is good to learn. I focused on the early era when beginning to play so the transition from as fast as possible metal style to a slower rock style was a good learning experience.
For Rhythm? I'm not entirely sure about Megadeth rhythm wise but for Metallica (rhythm wise, not solo wise):

Battery, Blackened, Damage Inc., Disposable Heroes, Dyer's Eve, Fight Fire With Fire, Master of Puppets, most of AJFA.

These are probably the hardest rhythm songs Metallica has (solos vary, Dyer's Eve is very hard whereas MoP isn't so hard). If you want to play downpicking try Blackened and MoP, otherwise the rest have quite fast gallops or alternate picking riffs.
Metallica i´d say - Blackened, dyers eve and the call of ktulu.

Megadeth - Killing is my buisness...and buisness is good, Holy wars, take no prisoners.
Metallica - Dyer's Eve, Creeping Death and Blackened

Megadeth - Holy Wars...The Punishment Due, This Day We Fight!, Take No Prisoners and Poison Was the Cure
Quote by InertSolo
Metallica - Dyer's Eve, Creeping Death and Blackened

Megadeth - Holy Wars...The Punishment Due, This Day We Fight!, Take No Prisoners and Poison Was the Cure

+1 on this guy excluding Creeping Death. It is most one single lick that repeats over and over.. (the relatively hard part I mean)

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Rhythm-wise, I find "Blackened" to be a lot harder than "Fight Fire with Fire." The second one is probably a bit faster, but not near as complex. As long as you can tremolo pick pretty fast and get the chords down, you can play "Fight Fire with Fire."

But "Blackened" is a whole new ballgame. And "One" is no pushover either. Really, And Justice For All is their most difficult stuff....

I never really got into Megadeth, so I can't really comment on them. Saw them a few years back though - Dave can tear it up for sure!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Metallica: Basically most stuff off Kill em All would be quite difficult.
Blackened
Leper Messiah
Master of Puppets?

Megadeth: Tornado of Souls
Good Mourning Black Friday
Tornado of Souls is cake apart from the solo, seriously guys, you can downstrum the whole thing.

Blackened and One are not that hard, cmon, apart from their solos once again.

It seems most people are mentioning these songs because of their solos.
As I said before, I play mostly rhythm, so if a song has a ****ing hard solo but easy riffs, I won't be very interested ^_^

I tried blackened I don't find it that challenging actually.

Holy Wars is definately hard.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
Tornado of Souls is cake apart from the solo, seriously guys, you can downstrum the whole thing.

Well if it isn't the "theory master" who is so mature that he bashes others. People learn at different speeds, and all have their own peak. Sure, One was the first song I ever learned, but I'm not going to brag because I listen to other music now, and am mature enough not to.
You can downstrum anything or any song you want, the point is your not using proper technique, and trust me - up picking has a different tone to it.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Megadeth - Dialectic Chaos and quite a few songs off of the Endgame record.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx

He asked for the hardest ones. Which are harder, your highness?

I know you probably think everyone in this forum is picking on you, but your attitude is extremely difficult to stomach. I am 99.99% that you are not able to make any of the three songs you listed sound anywhere close to the album versions due to the fact that you've been playing for only four months, making you an infant in instrument terms. Take your 'tude and stow it for a while.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
He asked for the hardest ones. Which are harder, your highness?

I know you probably think everyone in this forum is picking on you, but your attitude is extremely difficult to stomach. I am 99.99% that you are not able to make any of the three songs you listed sound anywhere close to the album versions due to the fact that you've been playing for only four months, making you an infant in instrument terms. Take your 'tude and stow it for a while.

I can play quite a bit of One, and sections of Blackened. I couldnt play Fight Fire With Fire at the same pace for even a second. That, and the little interlude in FFWF in the verse which goes from no vocals to vocals sounds like impossible triplet strumming. That must be the hardest song, tied with Dyers Eve.

One and Blackened can be downstrummed. This one? Try everytinhg possibly hard about FFWF.

And Holy wars is like the hardest song on guitar (considered), which I agree with. Tornado of Souls is SO easy, I can play it outside of the solo (I can play the rhythm on the solo haha). Once again, you can DOWNSTRUM THAT, good luck with Holy wars.

I dont have to play for more than 4 months to work stuff like this out. IF you can downstrum a riff, its not that hard.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
I can play quite a bit of One, and sections of Blackened. I couldnt play Fight Fire With Fire at the same pace for even a second. That, and the little interlude in FFWF in the verse which goes from no vocals to vocals sounds like impossible triplet strumming. That must be the hardest song, tied with Dyers Eve.

One and Blackened can be downstrummed. This one? Try everytinhg possibly hard about FFWF.

And Holy wars is like the hardest song on guitar (considered), which I agree with. Tornado of Souls is SO easy, I can play it outside of the solo (I can play the rhythm on the solo haha). Once again, you can DOWNSTRUM THAT, good luck with Holy wars.

I dont have to play for more than 4 months to work stuff like this out. IF you can downstrum a riff, its not that hard.

Oh so wrong.
Quote by Sickz
Oh so wrong.

You reckon? Downstrumming means the song isnt that fast (Master of Puppets is about the limit, which I can play), and therefore not too hard to play. It's only when alt strumming is introduced does it become hard - faster solos, sweeps etc.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
You reckon? Downstrumming means the song isnt that fast (Master of Puppets is about the limit, which I can play), and therefore not too hard to play. It's only when alt strumming is introduced does it become hard - faster solos, sweeps etc.

Master of Puppets is not the "limit" of down picking speed. Listen to some Berzerker. Downpicking simply is not an indicator of difficulty. Tempo, note division, string skipping, fingering, power chords vs. single notes, and many other things come into play. Your inexperience is showing through very strongly in everything you write. I recommend that you spend some time reading as opposed to writing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx

hurr.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Master of Puppets is not the "limit" of down picking speed. Listen to some Berzerker. Downpicking simply is not an indicator of difficulty. Tempo, note division, string skipping, fingering, power chords vs. single notes, and many other things come into play. Your inexperience is showing through very strongly in everything you write. I recommend that you spend some time reading as opposed to writing.

All those things you mentioned become harder with alternate strumming. And we're not talking about other bands, we're talking about megadeth and metallica. I can play the songs mentioned, and they're not hard, nowhere near as hard as HW and FFWF.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
All those things you mentioned become harder with alternate strumming. And we're not talking about other bands, we're talking about megadeth and metallica. I can play the songs mentioned, and they're not hard, nowhere near as hard as HW and FFWF.

if you can play them then lets hear the proof.... sorry you've only been playing for 4 months, I highly doubt that you can play them to speed and cleanly. if you can I'm sure everyone will leave you alone on this, but 4 months is nothing in guitar years......
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
if you can play them then lets hear the proof.... sorry you've only been playing for 4 months, I highly doubt that you can play them to speed and cleanly. if you can I'm sure everyone will leave you alone on this, but 4 months is nothing in guitar years......

Apologies, I can play PARTS of it, but none of FFWF, hence I think its harder
Holy Wars is nowhere near considered the hardest song on guitar... Listen to some Paul Gilbert or Steve Vai and then say that. Hell, as far as I can remember Headcrusher has an eight finger tapping solo which is harder than Holy Wars.

Play Master of Puppets right now, with alternate picking and then with downpicking. Downpicking at that tempo for that length of time is much harder than alternate picking at the same speed, isn't it?

FFWF is harder than Master of Puppets in my opinion but it's not strictly because it's alternate picking compared to downpicking.
Fight Fire With fire is actually less hard than MoP.

If you can play Angel of Death by Slayer you can play FFWF. However Master is tricky, especially the main riff (and singing while playing it is nearly impossible)
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx

Yes i reckon. Downstrumming dosent mean a song aint fast, or hard for that matter ( two completly diffrent things)

There are lot of bands that use downpicking, meshuggah use some, bullet for my va.. use some. Most of todays metalbands use it at some point and many of them play at a advanced level.
Quote by Sickz
Yes i reckon. Downstrumming dosent mean a song aint fast, or hard for that matter ( two completly diffrent things)

There are lot of bands that use downpicking, meshuggah use some, bullet for my va.. use some. Most of todays metalbands use it at some point and many of them play at a advanced level.

You're an idiot, thats all then
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
You're an idiot, thats all then

No, he's perfectly correct, and you really need to calm down.

I know a good place to chill out...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Page 1 of 2