I've got a Jackson RR3 Rhoads with a Floyd Rose bridge, and the action right now is too high for my liking. I've got 10's gauge strings on it by the way.

Anyway, someone on here told me that you have to release string tension and remove the trem springs before you start to turn the bridge screws to adjust the action. they said that if I don't do this, then the turning of the screw would damage the knife edges inside the bridge and the floyd will never stay in tune again. but my friend says he's done it to his floyd equipped jackson and ibanez loads of times without any problem...without releasing tension or remvoing the springs.

So basically, Do I have to release all the tension and remove the springs to adjust the action or not?

thanks for your help guys
I'd say that is simply useless. I've never removed the springs to adjust the action when I'm NOT changing strings. You might need to adjust the screws in the back if your Floyd Rose trem is leaning too much upwards or downwards. But if it's otherwise fine and the bridge is just too high, I don't see any need to remove the springs.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
I'd say that is simply useless. I've never removed the springs to adjust the action when I'm NOT changing strings. You might need to adjust the screws in the back if your Floyd Rose trem is leaning too much upwards or downwards. But if it's otherwise fine and the bridge is just too high, I don't see any need to remove the springs.

So do you release the tension of the strings when you do it? or do you neither release the tension OR remove the springs
I don't own any guitars that are equipped with Floyds, but in order to setup the action just right it's PRETTY DARN handy to have both your strings and your springs pulling your bridge in opposite directions as they normally would (make sure you have your regular strings on as well: this is not the best time to experiment with different string gauges, unless you're planning to switch to another gauge from now on...). If you remove the springs, you'll have to lock the bridge into its position first if you want to finetune your bridge saddles, so I don't really see the point of it

Just set up your guitar as you normally would (so without messing with the spring and/or string tension), loosen up your strings 1 at a time and lower/raise that particular bridge saddle until you're satisfied. Then tune the string up to pitch and move on to the next one, etc.

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^If just the bridge is too high, I'd just adjust the screws controlling the bridge's height. If you look at your trem, it should be in line with your body, of course slight above it.
When you hear fret buzz, you need to raise the bridge a bit.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I have an RR3 aswell and I'm don't release the tension when I adjust the action and I have had no problems in the 2 and half years I have had the Guitar.
1)put a 9volt battery under the floyd.
2)take off the locking nuts.
3)loosen the strings.
4)open the back plate and equally adjust the 2 screws. If the floyd was up tighten the screws, if it was down into the body loosen it.
5)tune your strings then check the floyd to make sure it's equally aligned with the body. if not repeat step 4
My Gear
Peavey Ultra Plus
Ibanez RGA42FM with EMG 81/85 with 18 volt mod
Marshall Valvestate VS102R
Ibanez TS9
Schecter C1FR
MXR M-109 EQ
When setting the action...does the floyd have to be at the same level on EAD side of the neck to the GBE side? basically, can I have my lower three strings with a higher action to my higher three strings?
I personally would remove the springs before turning the posts. I'm not going to say that leaving the tension on will damage the blades or post. But I believe that there is a possibility of some damage occurring.
GBe side should be lower.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Sakke at May 22, 2011,