Page 1 of 2
This is my favourite song of all time, and I want to get this riff right:

That comes from the 5 star rated version of this tab - version 3

You can find the riff in this video at 1:16 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcB6SgkG4AE

In the second half of the riff, right at the end, I SWEAR there is an extra note. That, or the open A string at the beginning is played twice the second and onwards time around.

Please help?
Last edited by xChRoMaTiCx at May 22, 2011,
I would finger that differently, but alright. The missing note at the end (one but last) is an open A string. The last C note (3rd fret, 5th string) should be an E (2nd fret, 4th string) I think when listening to the song.

Hope that helps
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by RDSElite
I would finger that differently, but alright. The missing note at the end (one but last) is an open A string. The last C note (3rd fret, 5th string) should be an E (2nd fret, 4th string) I think when listening to the song.

Hope that helps

Thats how Metallica play it, so I may as well go with it ive only been playing for 4 months + this is easier + I got it down this way

But are u sure its an Open A, not an Open D?
Just some advice for you.

Go learn all the diatonic scales, all the common chords, various other things like pentatonic and how to make arpeggios from theory. Then try playing them all. This should take you a few months if you're serious.
Most of your own questions will be answered and you'll develop an awesome sense of music in the process. Until then, questions you're asking are like shooting at a barn.

We don't mind helping, but it's like a guy coming on here who played for 2 days saying "okay so how do I start 8 string tap sweeping?"
Quote by AtomicBirdy
Just some advice for you.

Go learn all the diatonic scales, all the common chords, various other things like pentatonic and how to make arpeggios from theory. Then try playing them all. This should take you a few months if you're serious.
Most of your own questions will be answered and you'll develop an awesome sense of music in the process. Until then, questions you're asking are like shooting at a barn.

We don't mind helping, but it's like a guy coming on here who played for 2 days saying "okay so how do I start 8 string tap sweeping?"

And the most useless advice of the thread award goes to: the bolded bit.

Seriously, he specifically asked for help with how to play a riff and you're feeding him crap about learning theory? That's not going to do him a lick of good in this context.
Quote by Geldin
And the most useless advice of the thread award goes to: the bolded bit.

Seriously, he specifically asked for help with how to play a riff and you're feeding him crap about learning theory? That's not going to do him a lick of good in this context.

YEAH TOTALLY

I mean, all that crap I listed, won't help him at all!
I guarantee you that the exact riff he's trying to play CANNOT POSSIBLY be aided by knowing the common knowledge I've posted above.
There is absolutely NO WAY that he will ever come across those notes from practicing your most basic stuff. No way. It's impossible.

That A major he's talking about? ****ing rubbish. That is not a common chord at all! Shame on you, Ms. AtomicBirdy for trying to mislead him. SHAME.

After all, using a bandaid patch to a major underlying solution is totally the way to go
Totally.

Especially since theory is all about reading notes and not playing on the guitar. For shame x2 someone would even think about learning theory and practicing on the guitar at the same time! The nerve of some musicians.

OP, take Geldin's advice. Say "**** it" to learning the guitar scales, vibrato, how notes connect on the keyboard. You don't need that shit. Just go on learning the basic way. Forget theory, it's for chumps! Forget learning how notes connect, only for music theory geeks.

After all, Geldin, as you imply: Learning chords/scales will not harbor the basics at all. Weak foundations are for strong people, y'know.
Last edited by AtomicBirdy at May 22, 2011,
Quote by AtomicBirdy
YEAH TOTALLY

I guarantee you that the exact riff he's trying to play CANNOT POSSIBLY be aided by knowing the common knowledge I've posted above.
There is absolutely NO WAY that he will ever come across those notes from practicing your most basic stuff. No way. It's impossible.

That A major he's talking about? ****ing rubbish. That is not a common chord at all! Shame on you, Ms. AtomicBirdy for trying to mislead him. SHAME.

After all, using a bandaid patch to a major underlying solution is totally the way to go
Totally.

Especially since theory is all about reading notes and not playing on the guitar. For shame x2 someone would even think about learning theory and practicing on the guitar at the same time! The nerve of some musicians.

OP, take Geldin's advice. Say "**** it" to learning the guitar scales, vibrato, how notes connect on the keyboard. You don't need that shit. Just go on learning the basic way. Forget theory, it's for chumps! Forget learning how notes connect, only for music theory geeks.

After all, Geldin, as you imply: Learning chords/scales will not harbor the basics at all. Weak foundations are for strong people, y'know.

I think you may be overreacting there. The stuff you listed is entirely reasonable, but in the context of this thread, it was meaningless. He asked for help with a specific riff. All the theory in the world isn't going to help a player learn a riff.

Seriously, chill out some there.
First of all, it's not about what's easier guys. It's about how Metallica play it. They play it like this, just add a C (3rd fret) on the A string at that last part you're talking about.

btw. You could have just watched them play it on the "making of" video.
Quote by AtomicBirdy
YEAH TOTALLY

Totally.

Geldin is very big into theory and knows the importance of it. Frankly, your original advice didn't come anywhere near what the thread-starter asked and was generally irrelevant. Tone down the testosterone a bit, bud.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DocArunas
Very hard way to play this riff..

Here...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/riff.jpg/

Basic chord shapes all the way..

According to your thing, its an Open D that I'm missing.

According to others, its an A.

According to others, its a C.

According to others, I need to learn a scale before playing this (rather easy) riff.

GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSESSSSS WHICH IS IT!?!?!??!?!
I get where AtomicBirdy is coming from because this is the third thread where our TS has asked for this kind of advice for a song. Not that that's a bad thing but suggesting a long-term solution isn't that far out of left field either.

And either watch the "making of" video and do it the way they do it there, OR you could experiment with the three options you've been given and see which one sounds the best; I'm sure you aren't that completely helpless.
Im going to say this straight up: im learning guitar to impress people and myself

I have no intention of learning those complex scales (besides the main major, minor and chormatic)

I checked the making of video and CANT tell what note they're playing. D sounds good, as does A. HELP?
Sounds like an open A to me.....

Just pause the track right after the note and play an open A to see for yourself.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
Im going to say this straight up: im learning guitar to impress people and myself

I have no intention of learning those complex scales (besides the main major, minor and chormatic)

I checked the making of video and CANT tell what note they're playing. D sounds good, as does A. HELP?

Then you get no help from me
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Then you get no help from me

Why do you care though lol? You play to learn music, I play for a good feeling. Why does it matter. Can you just help?
The problem is you're not particularly helpable with your mindset - you can't pick up a guitar with the intention of impressing people because it's all going to go tits up very quickly. What you're really asking for is a way to shortcut the requirements of experience and time, and that's simply not possible.

You seem to be approaching it as "I need to learn the hardest things possible in as short a time as possible to prove myself", and thats's not how learning a musical instrument works. You get good by taking your time to learn everything properly and understanding that it's not what you know that matters but how well you know it. Your ability isn't solely defined by the hardest thing you can play - it's the big picture that matters.

This was originally posted in a theory thread but it's just as relevant here...

Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
The problem is you're not particularly helpable with your mindset - you can't pick up a guitar with the intention of impressing people because it's all going to go tits up very quickly. What you're really asking for is a way to shortcut the requirements of experience and time, and that's simply not possible.

You seem to be approaching it as "I need to learn the hardest things possible in as short a time as possible to prove myself", and thats's not how learning a musical instrument works. You get good by taking your time to learn everything properly and understanding that it's not what you know that matters but how well you know it. Your ability isn't solely defined by the hardest thing you can play - it's the big picture that matters.

This was originally posted in a theory thread but it's just as relevant here...

I dont need you telling me what I need to do and not to do. You're entitled to an opinion, but what I do with my guitar is my choice. I dont want to waste hours playing stupid, easy crap like chords and scales. I may as well play harder stuff to challenge myself, and when I get it (I have tornado of souls down up until the chorus ALREADY) I actually feel achieved and happy, I know that I achieved what I wanted, and not what people think I should.

IF you're not going to help, kindly get the F*** out of my thread. You're unbelieable. "You're not learning the guitar the way I want you to learn it, so I wont help you with the stuff you are trying to learn and enjoy." F*** you!!!!
Well aren't you a silly boy?

Lose the attitude please - if you didn't need people telling you what to do you wouldn't be posting threads asking for help, would you?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

There's absolutely no need to get rude to one of the most respected members of this forum. He has very valid points, I suggest you take notice of them. 'easy crap like chords', who do you think you are?

I told you a couple of your threads back, if the foundation is weak, everything built on top of that will also be and it will all collapse.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by steven seagull
Well aren't you a silly boy?

Lose the attitude please - if you didn't need people telling you what to do you wouldn't be posting threads asking for help, would you?

I'm sorry but WHAT? I dont need people telling me what to do, but I can still need help on doing what I WANT to do? I didnt ask for your, to be fair, "smart advice", but rather a two word response on what note to play.

Grow up.
Quote by RDSElite
There's absolutely no need to get rude to one of the most respected members of this forum. He has very valid points, I suggest you take notice of them. 'easy crap like chords', who do you think you are?

I told you a couple of your threads back, if the foundation is weak, everything built on top of that will also be and it will all collapse.

I

DONT

CARE

Your points are 100% valid, but I dont want them. Let me play how I want to play.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
I'm sorry but WHAT? I dont need people telling me what to do, but I can still need help on doing what I WANT to do? I didnt ask for your, to be fair, "smart advice", but rather a two word response on what note to play.

Grow up.

Do you actually want a ban?

It may be a simple question that requres a two word response to you, but it's symptomatic of a bigger problem that's going to come back to haunt you further down the line. You're problem is that you don't seem to appreciate that sometimes, people tell you what to do because they know it's ultimately going to help you with the things you want to do.

Now, are you going to behave from now on?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Do you actually want a ban?

It may be a simple question that requres a two word response to you, but it's symptomatic of a bigger problem that's going to come back to haunt you further down the line. You're problem is that you don't seem to appreciate that sometimes, people tell you what to do because they know it's ultimately going to help you with the things you want to do.

Now, are you going to behave from now on?

I knew that was going to pop up eventually, when you realise you're at wrong you'll abuse your power.

Yes, it may come back to haunt me. yes, I dont appreciate that. yes, people tell me it because they are trying to help me.

It doesnt matter about me, why would you even care? If you could just answer my question you would save me a lot of annoyance these past few hours, but no, NO, you have to keep emphasising your point.

(And FYI I am behaving, if anything, you're not. You're deviating from the point of the thread, and talking about irreleavnt things. I would REPORT YOU if there was a chance anything would happen, but there isnt.)
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
grow up

Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
im learning guitar to impress people

Look a little closer to home buddy.
Quote by andyscoot
Look a little closer to home buddy.

Perfectly grown up people, who act maturely, play to impress others, and themselves. Not everyone is in it to be a musical genius.
Most adults don't actually base what they do in their free time on getting attention.
Quote by andyscoot
Most adults don't actually base what they do in their free time on getting attention.

I'm one of the ones that do, and its perfectly normal.

Most adults dont spend their free times learning music and becoming geniuses at it. Just saying. Thats not "free time"
What's the point in learning if you're not going to try to be the best you can? If you're not dedicated to an instrument, theres no point in trying, and I for one am not going to help you with that kind of mindset.
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
I dont need you telling me what I need to do and not to do. You're entitled to an opinion, but what I do with my guitar is my choice. I dont want to waste hours playing stupid, easy crap like chords and scales. I may as well play harder stuff to challenge myself, and when I get it (I have tornado of souls down up until the chorus ALREADY) I actually feel achieved and happy, I know that I achieved what I wanted, and not what people think I should.

IF you're not going to help, kindly get the F*** out of my thread. You're unbelieable. "You're not learning the guitar the way I want you to learn it, so I wont help you with the stuff you are trying to learn and enjoy." F*** you!!!!

...oh, you;re serious

Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
I

DONT

CARE

Who died and made you 12 years old?

If you actually want help, just attempt every note untill it sounds right.....
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by andyscoot
What's the point in learning if you're not going to try to be the best you can? If you're not dedicated to an instrument, theres no point in trying, and I for one am not going to help you with that kind of mindset.

You have a different mindset. You can learn for the sake of taking pride in what you do, and impress yourself and others, not dedicating your life to it. And since you cant respect my mindset, and wont help me out, my point that you are an immature kid who needs to grow up. As are all of you.
You think we dedicate our life to it? Please, we just play and aim to be the best we can. Wether that is playing a few chords or sweeping mega fast, it dosen't matter. It's how you aproach the playing that is the key. I'm 100% sure you're the immature kid. Infact, i highly doubt you're even of legal age.
Page 1 of 2