Here's a video of Dire Straits, Its the 'plucky' sound i can't seem to get. I've tried it on my own and I KIND OF get it but I just need some help so any ideas or help is much appreciated. I know its finger picked and thats the way I'm doing it. I hope to get some responses before the YouTube police remove the video. Thanks,

Rich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Zq9NuUGL0&feature=channel_video_title
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
My guess would be that he's kind of palm muting the strings while plucking them very hard. Seems to sound like that.
You cando it with some good fretting hand control. The tip there is to have less precision as you would when normally fretting. You don't want to fret it neatly, just enought to sound and then immediatly lift off a little to mute it. You don't even need to stop touching the string, just lightly touch it to mute it.
Just had a message from YouTube... My video may contain content from EGM... May...? It definitely does!
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
Knopfler often does a percussive thing where he doesn't just pluck the string but kind of pulls it away from the guitar a little and lets it snap back.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com