1. In terms of distortion, how distorted can the sound get with just the head and cab alone, is it just a classic rock at the most or can swapping out tubes get more distortion for a modern metal sound?

2. In comparison to the highest distortion setting how loud can you get cleans from it before it starts to get too gritty

I'm considering buying one of these heads for 220 euro so I want to know all I can about it.

Thanks!
Last edited by Ma-hog! at May 22, 2011,
Bit of blues, classic rock and going onto a AC/DC crunch. I'm sure with a boost it'll do metal well. More likely not with anything with core on the end though.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
It does a little of everything to me. I use mine to play jazz, blues, classic rock, some more modern art rock (nothing very high gain). It handles it pretty well, I'm sure it could do metal too if you gt it going. Stock it has about as much gain as a JCM800. If you really get the volume cranked it probably has enough gain for most applications.

As for how loud can it get before it starts to get gritty? Idk... pretty loud, its only 20 watts, not enough to really cut through on stage if you are playing very clean in a loud rock band but it's not really the kind of amp that you buy for very clean clean sounds. There is a clip in my profile of the 20 watter with the volume pushed and the gain at about 7 or so.
Last edited by al112987 at May 22, 2011,
Quote by al112987
It does a little of everything to me. I use mine to play jazz, blues, classic rock, some more modern art rock (nothing very high gain). It handles it pretty well, I'm sure it could do metal too if you gt it going. Stock it has about as much gain as a JCM800. If you really get the volume cranked it probably has enough gain for most applications.

As for how loud can it get before it starts to get gritty? Idk... pretty loud, its only 22 watts, not enough to really cut through on stage if you are playing loud rock but it's not really the kind of amp that you buy for very clean clean sounds. There is a clip in my profile of the 20 watter with the volume pushed and the gain at about 7 or so.

By 'before it gets gritty' I mean ususally the clean part of an amp is way, way quieter than fully distorted so if you want high volume you have no choice but to have a distorted sound but you kinda answered my question already, thanks!
Mine begins to get a bit gritty when the gain is on 3. It's great for rock distortion, not so much modern metal. AC/DC to Iron Maiden to Randy Rhoads kind of tones. I haven't tried swapping out the tubes, though.

You can get cleans if you turn the gain down really low and the master volume up, but they're somewhat uninspiring, in my opinion. It excels at rock distortion, but not much else. However, having said that, I would still say it's one of the best amps in its price range.
^ That describes pretty much every low wattage tube amp ever.

You just can't get pristine cleans at volume with a small amp unless you use dirtboxes for distortion.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.