hey dudes!

I have had a hell of time changing 1st and 3rd strings for the last weeks!

the problem is that I change the strings very well and neat ( for 2nd 4th 5th 6th string)

but the 1st and 3rd are being ripped so easily while tuning!

I purchased 6 strings! (for 1st and 3rd) and every time I face the same problem!!

the strings are always being ripped from the upside ( close to the machinhead)
yes, is it steel or nylon?
it sounds like a string tree (if you have them) or the nut is breaking them if theyre breaking that often at that end. is it a tight fit through the nut?
it's steel!

dudes I'm a beginner guitarist and I'm dummy at technical stuff!

I have no idea about string tree!

IDK what do you mean by tight fit through the nut?
I bet you try to turn the tuner with the string pulled through its hole without leaving any slack in the string. When I was a little kid, I killed a brand new bass string that way too, lol.
Quote by Tinderwet
I bet you try to turn the tuner with the string pulled through its hole without leaving any slack in the string. When I was a little kid, I killed a brand new bass string that way too, lol.

You're right! I don't leave slack!

but I don't tighten the strings.

I send the string through the tuner and then when the string fits the body

of the guitar ( not tight) the I turn the tuner
first, even if its a moot point, the string trees, which you may or may not have, are basically like hooks on the head of the guitar that hold your strings in line:

second, the nut, i have seen on some guitars so deep that it really grabs the string, but it should leave room for the string to move some when you tune your guitar:

ill try to explain one of the best ways to string up a guitar:

connect the string at the bridge, on the body where you normally would. make sure your tuning machines have the holes lined up perpendicular to the neck, so if you hold the guitar like youre playing, and look through the holes, youre looking at the ground, NOT at the neck.

now (i will explain this using directions as if youre at the body, looking at the head of the guitar up the neck). take your thickest string, and lay it on the nut (remember?) where it should go, and then through the tuning machine from right to left. now it should be sticking out away from the guitar.

take the end of it that is loose, and pull it fairly snug, but not tight, and then pull it back towards the body. overall the string now looks like a 'U' with both ends towards the body.

now, see theres about 2-3 inches of that string between the nut (remember still?), and the tuning mahine - pass the loose end of the string UNDER that section, so it is pointing across the head.

next, take that loose end and (making sure the string is all still fairly snug), bring it forward as if its starting to go around the tuning machine, then back over the top of that same 2-3 inch section. this WILL put a bend in the end of the string, around that 2-3 inch section.

now when you start to tune the string up, turn the machine counterclockwise, and that bend you put in the string will act as a hook, and hook onto the string where it goes into the tuning machine.

this is hard to describe, heres a picture lol

note that as you tune the guitar, the strings may pop a few times until its truly snug. it will scare you a few times, but its not a problem.
Last edited by xadioriderx at May 22, 2011,
Quote by LORDLUCIFER
You're right! I don't leave slack!

but I don't tighten the strings.

I send the string through the tuner and then when the string fits the body

of the guitar ( not tight) the I turn the tuner

You need to pull the string up with two fingers above the 3rd fret to about 2 inches to get enough slack, and start turning the tuning key at that point. That way the hole of the tuner won't cut the string.
Last edited by Tinderwet at May 22, 2011,
if you do it another way you may want slack.
the way i listed, you dont need or want slack. been doing it for years and i rarely ever break strings
Oh my most heartfelt thanks guys! Terrific instructions!

I'm gonna try them soon.

I've already discovered a mistake!

I always feed the string through the tuner from LEFT to RIGHT!

but as mentioned in dear xadioriderx's post, I should feed it from right to left!

many thanks guys