So. Recently i got a Tonelab ST which has an analog delay effect and im wondering about how to use it. Ive never heard much songs that use delays so im wondering if there are any ideas and tips that you guys may have to share.

I already know that delays can be used to add depth to solo's but what i dont know is how strong that delay should be. And any sweet songs which use delay is much appreciated
Its up to you.. if you like how its sounds you can add delay as much as you want..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bugera Fire Wall Half Stack
^
usually when i get a new effect ill just set all of the knobs to 12 O'clock and play with it from there
Quote by slingshotjr
usually when i get a new effect ill just set all of the knobs to 12 O'clock and play with it from there

I tried that and i got irritated by not knowing what to do with it
well then...my usual delay is around 350 milliseconds with about half batural volume and a longer decay time
the beginning to lateralus by tool has some cool delay and it's a pretty easy song to learn.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I don't think the ST read out even gives the delay in msec. I believe it's all by ear and maybe it has tap tempo.
Think rhythmically and play a chord sequence that's in time with the delayed repeats. A shorter delay time with a little overdrive can add punch to a solo. A really short delay with fewer repeats can beef up a single guitar part. Longer delays can be a bit spacey.

Songs that use delays:

GN'R - Welcome to the Jungle
Metallica - The Outlaw Torn
Muse - Map of the Problematique
Foo Fighters - Rope
Audioslave - Cochise
U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
Pink Floyd - Shine On (You Crazy Diamond)
Police - Walking on the Moon
Who - Magic Bus (Live at Leeds)
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
The fun starts when you add a second or third delay. Ever hear of the Fibonacci Sequence? Its awesome with delays
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by fly135
I don't think the ST read out even gives the delay in msec. I believe it's all by ear and maybe it has tap tempo.

Yeah it actually doesnt but there's this software is use that was developed by a user that allows patch edits from the computer which shows all the parameters and also the delay time in ms. It also has a sweet little looper function.
If you have/make a feedback looper and an EQ pedal (you could build a feedback looper with a simple high end filter like a guitar tone control) you can get some cool effects with delays.
Set the delay so there is only one repeat, and run the delay and EQ in the feedback looper, you can set it so each repeat has less and less treble (this is good to do if you have a digital delay and want to replicate an analog delay tone) or you could do other things with the EQ too.
This probably won't work that well with the ToneLab delays though, its more for use with an individual delay pedal.
Last edited by littlephil at May 27, 2011,
Quote by littlephil
If you have/make a feedback looper and an EQ pedal (you could build a feedback looper with a simple high end filter like a guitar tone control) you can get some cool effects with delays.
Set the delay so there is only one repeat, and run the delay and EQ in the feedback looper, you can set it so each repeat has less and less treble (this is good to do if you have a digital delay and want to replicate an analog delay tone) or you could do other things with the EQ too.
This probably won't work that well with the ToneLab delays though, its more for use with an individual delay pedal.

Sounds like a lotta work
The tonelab sounds pretty analog already, I would like it to be a bit more digital