Bands where the backup singer(s) is/are better than the lead singer?

Page 1 of 4
Basically the title.
I vote Avenged Sevenfold. Synyster and Zacky have much better voices than Matt. The Rev had a much better voice than all of them.
Also, in SOAD, Daron is a better singer than Serj.
Daron is a shite singer. Scars on Broadway hurt my ears.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by JD2k9
Basically the title.
I vote Avenged Sevenfold. Synyster and Zacky have much better voices than Matt. The Rev had a much better voice than all of them.

Think you just /threaded yourself there bud.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Rhcp

Quote by JD2k9
Basically the title.

They're both relatively mediocre. When put together, they sound really cool.
Last edited by goest at May 22, 2011,
Frusciante-era Red Hot Chili Peppers. John's voice is much better than Anthony's.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Even though Mastodon doesn't really have a real lead singer, all of them have amazing voices.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Ellefson is way better than Mustaine vocally. However, Megadeth wouldn't be what it is without Dave's whinings.
Hoof Hearted
Quote by goest
Rhcp

I was gonna say this. However, I really enjoy Anthony Kiedis' singing.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

imo soad, rhcp and a7x all have/had better lead singers than backing singers.
(yeah the rev's voice was fantastic, but still not as good as Matts)
actually I can't think of a band that has better backing vocalists than lead.
M. Shadows voice suits the music more than Zackys/Syns. Also the Rev was better.
Serj is a MUCH better singer than Daron. Daron is a crazy ****er with a boring voice, whereas Serj has an awesome voice. Just listen to his solo stuff.

EDIT:

Oh of course. Mark Hoppus has a MUCH better voice than Tom DeLonge (Blink 182)
Bon Jovi. I can't stand them but Richie Sambora is a fantastic singer. Jon sounds so nasal these days, it's painful to listen to.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by SheKILaDZE
imo soad, rhcp and a7x all have/had better lead singers than backing singers.
(yeah the rev's voice was fantastic, but still not as good as Matts)
actually I can't think of a band that has better backing vocalists than lead.

Froosh has the voice of an angel.
Quote by goest
Froosh has the voice of an angel.

as far as I've listened to him, his voice is shaky and unclear like he can't speak properly.
if I remember correctly from an interview of his, he really can't speak properly
Quote by boreamor

Mark Hoppus and Tom Delonge are both lead singers It is true though
Quote by zgr0826
Even though Mastodon doesn't really have a real lead singer, all of them have amazing voices when not live.

ftfy
Quote by SheKILaDZE
as far as I've listened to him, his voice is shaky and unclear like he can't speak properly.
if I remember correctly from an interview of his, he really can't speak properly

Listen to his solo stuff. He has a GREAT voice.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by SheKILaDZE

In most of his interviews he was FUUUUCKED UP
Serj's voice is way better than Daron's. Daron's little parts in the early SOAD albums were good, but in the new stuff, where he sung half of the lyrics, it got annoying.

I agree with all the Mastodon members having great singing voices. They're all unique to each other. One of the reasons Crack the Skye was so good.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
How do you guys think 'bout Nirvana? Cobain had a really unique voice, but I can really imagine someone would prefer Grohl's voice over Cobain's voice.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Quote by SheKILaDZE

He did have some pretty bad speech problems after overcoming his addiction and getting all new teeth and all that, but he's gotten much better now. he speaks and sings perfectly clear now a days.

proof:http://youtu.be/k2kPUZzBgBk
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by boreamor
EDIT:

But aren't they both lead singers, kinda. They have roughly the same amount of songs.

But yeah, Mark is better
WARNING: Signature may not be handwritten
Quote by Hebriqui
How do you guys think 'bout Nirvana? Cobain had a really unique voice, but I can really imagine someone would prefer Grohl's voice over Cobain's voice.

Grohl is better, but Cobain suited Nirvana much more. If Grohl sang for Nirvana, it wouldn't have the same feel
WARNING: Signature may not be handwritten
The backup singer of this band has a ****ing awesome voice, while the rest of the band, "singer" included, is really bad, even for a metalcore band.
Gear:

Ibanez Prestige RGA121H - Crushed Dark Ruby
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Nirvana, Dave Grohl >>>>>>> Kurt Cobain
I'd say Alter Bridge but i think Myles is a bit better than Mark.
And i prefer Yngwie to any singer he has had.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Quote by Vitor_vdp

I was going off Words Darker Than Their Wings but then i remembered Blackbird etc but i couldn't be bothered to edit it. Too much effort on my part.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Noel Gallagher, as opposed to his even-more-of-a-gob-shite brother. After 1997-ish, Liam's voice became the broken electric shaver it is today.

Yes yes a thousand times yes!
Hoof Hearted
NoFX
Melvin and El Hefe are SO much better vocalists then Fat Mike.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Enter Shikari, the bassist actually has a nice voice.
And basically any screamy band where all the lead singer does is scream. 9/10 if somebody else does singing sections it's just...better.
Last edited by ArcadianWarrior at May 22, 2011,
There are likely hundreds of "backup" singers in the music business who are "better" in many ways than the lead singer or the band that hires them for a tour.
Some people make a good living doing nothing but backup work; they are versatile enough so that nearly anyone can take them out on tour, or hire them to do background work in the studio.
Why aren't they big stars? Maybe they don't want to be. It's a tough road and fame is fleeting. They may have family ties and not want to be a gypsy forever. They may simply not have the personality to be a big "front" person.
Quote by zgr0826
Even though Mastodon doesn't really have a real lead singer, all of them have amazing voices.

I agree with this. Except I don't know if I've ever heard Bill sing. I don't think he does it that much.

Also, Muse, arguably. Chris has a great voice. All members of Queen had great voices as well.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Bon Jovi. I can't stand them but Richie Sambora is a fantastic singer. Jon sounds so nasal these days, it's painful to listen to.

Richie truly is a fantastic singer, however, Jon is amazing.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I don't know about "better" but I prefer Waters' voice to Gilmour's

You'll have to die in a horrible fire for that.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by JD2k9

How on Earth can you say that? I used to be a hardcore SOAD listener, but never on Earth would I ever believe Daron had a better voice in a million years. Serj's voice is incredible and Daron sounds like he sung just so thered be a second part, and he eventually improved slightly.
Page 1 of 4