Over the last couple months I've been going to my 2 local guitar stores quite a bit and trying different guitars, since I'm looking to get a new one. Ones I've seen and read about online are the Schecter C-7, Damien Elite FR, Jeff Loomis Sig, some various ESPs and an Explorer. Problem is, the guitar shops I go to don't happen to have the guitars I'm looking for

Should I potentially buy one fo the guitars I want online without ever trying it first? All of the ones I've seen that catch my eye seem to have great reviews by most people on the sites. I'm looking for a 6 or 7 string that can play pretty heavy metal as well as jazz.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Well, I have bought 2 guitars online without trying them out first, and I read the reviews quite thoroughly. The two guitars I bought were really good guitars, and I'm not quite sure why I risked buying them without trying them first, but it seemed to work out well for me. My advice, if you plan on doing so, look at the reviews, and then find the average of the reviews, and then if you're satisfied, buy it.
Originally Posted by Azbats63
I'm the only white guy in a band in El Paso. My bandmates call me El Diablo Blanco. They tell me it means "trusted friend."
Quote by thePTOD
Over the last couple months I've been going to my 2 local guitar stores quite a bit and trying different guitars, since I'm looking to get a new one. Ones I've seen and read about online are the Schecter C-7, Damien Elite FR, Jeff Loomis Sig, some various ESPs and an Explorer. Problem is, the guitar shops I go to don't happen to have the guitars I'm looking for

Should I potentially buy one fo the guitars I want online without ever trying it first? All of the ones I've seen that catch my eye seem to have great reviews by most people on the sites. I'm looking for a 6 or 7 string that can play pretty heavy metal as well as jazz.

I've bought all my guitars online without trying them first. You adapt to new things fairly quickly. Do your research, read reviews. I know people will say try them all out first then buy, but I don't and I'm plenty happy with my purchases.

The reason I don't is I find guitar stores to be extremely stressful environments. Not to mention I don't like mingling with commission starved salesmen.

Not to mention you don't have to pay sales tax or shipping by going with some online stores. Thats saves a bunch of $$$ when your talking about buying an expensive guitar.
Last edited by mh1986 at May 22, 2011,
My #1 and #2 guitar were blind buys for the most part.. I played my G&L Strat once and then bought it.. and my Tele I bought over ebay completely blind, based on minimal reviews.. it's now my favorite guitar (though not my #1).
Sparrow Twangmaster Telecaster
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
The only guitars I buy without trying are Japanese-made Ibanez, because I know I will always love the way the Japanese necks feel.

However, you could check the return policy for the company you're buying it from. You may be able to return it if you're not satisfied.
The problem with blind buys is that you can read a million reviews saying that it sounds great, it plays really well and feels amazing to play. But when it comes down to it, all of that is 100% subjective, one person's idea of comfortable to play could be completely different to your's.

On that, I'd always say to try the guitar first. Like Pac_man says though, check the policy and see if you can have a trial period, test it out for a little while and see how it does.

Finding the right guitar can take a bit of time, but is definitely worth it. You don't wanna spend hundreds on buying a bunch of guitars that you think will be right and then end up with 5 guitars you don't like before you find the one you really want. I did that, it sucks :P

It's your risk though I suppose, your money

EDIT:
Just realised that may come across as a very negative comment... You could also find the guitar of your dreams if you're lucky! But, it's best to know that before you buy it
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Last edited by makutoid at May 22, 2011,
I played a SRX390 at Guitar Center, didn't like the $399 price tag, went online and bought the same SRX390 off ebay for $260 with a $80 bass case included. Brand new never play, even with all the Ibanez paperwork and warranty stuff.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I played a SRX390 at Guitar Center, didn't like the $399 price tag, went online and bought the same SRX390 off ebay for $260 with a $80 bass case included. Brand new never play, even with all the Ibanez paperwork and warranty stuff.

The point is, you still played the guitar... You may not have played the exact same product, but it was the same model which would have been made with the same spec. The only differences should have been things to do with the physical set up, which anyone can do if they put the time and effort into it.

Also, congratulations on your contribution to the closure of local music shops
(insert sarcastic tone here)
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Thanks guys. I 've read reviews on both Guitar Center and Musician's Friend, and all of the guitars I'm looking have about an average review rating of 4 or 4.5 out of 5.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
Thanks guys. I 've read reviews on both Guitar Center and Musician's Friend, and all of the guitars I'm looking have about an average review rating of 4 or 4.5 out of 5.

My advice is you should never pay attention to reviews on the websites selling the gear. Ever.

The only place I trust for reviews is Harmony Central, and even then you should always take someone else's review with a grain of salt.
Schecter guitars are examined and set up in the USA before going on to dealers. So ordering a new Schecter should be safe.
I've bought 5 guitars online and am satisfied with all of them. Kind of "meh" about my V-200 but it's just difficult to EQ for sometimes.

Look up reviews of the guitars you're looking at on Youtube. That way you get not only a review but also generally people will make demos of the guitars so you can hear somewhat what it sounds like.

Cheers.
I have bought 1 guitar online (Epi G-400)and am happy with it. Now don't get me wrong the set up was horrible, but the overall construction is great and made a great platform for hot rodding. But then again this was only a $299 guitar not $800+ so I knew there would be set-up issues. However when you get into the $800+ range I would be very hesitant to drop the $ with out playing first, but thats just me.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've bought 6 guitars without trying them first, with only one minor hiccup- they sent the wrong one once, quickly rectified- but it shouldn't be a problem if you're dealing with reputable companies. Read your reviews & do your research about the guitars, yes, but also look into their returns policy.

My first 2 were Deans that I ordered though my FLMS. That's because retailers have different rules about how long they have to accept a shipment and remedies for non-conforming goods. so they got my Deans...and due to certain issues, I couldn't pick them up immediately, so they got to take a food look at them.

That store now sells more Deans than almost any other store in Texas.

The other 4 were all through a luthier.

I also have many friends who own Carvins, and they're mail order only if you don't live near San Diego.

Beyond that, some other very-high quality makes are simply not available where I am. If I ever want a Brian May, Vigier, Moog, Veilette, Ruokangas, Parker or Fernandes- and I do- I'm S.O.L. if I insist on having one in my hands first. I live in the Dallas area, and of those, I've only seen & held a Parker once...and THAT store is out of business.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by jpnyc
Schecter guitars are examined and set up in the USA before going on to dealers. So ordering a new Schecter should be safe.

Unfortunately this means nothing, it relies on if the guy at the factory is good at his job. My G-400 was set up in the USA and whoever did it knew nothing about a proper set-up. But more often than not a USA set up guitar will be better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I bought my robot flying v off ebay.

Obviously it's a risk. You gotta contact the seller and ask ALL questions beforehand.

Imo if you can find one locally ( even if more expensive ) i'd go for that anyday. I was willing to risk for the robot v because its a model i wanted and couldn't find anywhere else.

I'm extremely satisfied with it, plays even better than I'd imagined
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Ive orded 2 guitars without trying them. But they where PRS guitars and everybody know that they are really nice guitars. Dont know about Schecter though.
I notice everyone's talking about the set up.. The set up of the guitar kind of has nothing to do with the purchase.. The ability to set it up properly, yeah sure. But what you should be looking for is the right sound and the right feel. Obviously you're more likely to get a better idea when it's set up properly, but don't let that decide it for you. To set up a guitar properly takes like 15 minutes if you have any idea what you're doing.

My friends send their stuff to me all the time, and I'll usually set it up right there in front of them while they wait and they'll be playing away happily within half an hour. It really takes no time at all to do it yourself.

In terms of buying, focus on the rest of it first. How it balances, the way the neck feels and how the fret board feels under your fingers, friction against the finish, all those little things that are a fixed part of the guitar.
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart