Page 1 of 2
Alright, so last night my band and I were planning on jamming through the night, but apparently some of the neighbors weren't having that at all so they called in a noise complaint. And so a cop showed up and told us to stop basically, which I would see as being more than reasonable if we were within city limits BUT we're quite literally out in the middle of cow pastures and fields, so the neighbors aren't even remotely close [but as a side note, he did say we sounded good]. My question is basically if you are outside of city limits in most towns is there typically some sort of mandate stating that you can't be overly loud? also, to find specific laws and noise codes for my area does anybody have any idea where to look that up?

tl;dr LOUD NOISES, lame far-away neighbors calling in a noise complaint, whats the policy outside of city limits?
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Exactly how far away are your lame neighbours?
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Just guessing, I think their complaint was probably legitimate considering I don't think a police officer would want to go out to the middle of nowhere if he didn't have to. But I really don't have any idea
Quote by RU Experienced?
If the neighbors aren't remotely close and they can still hear your shitty band practicing you're playing too loud.

/thread
Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Exactly how far away are your lame neighbours?

I'm a terrible judge of distance, but I'd say the absolute closest is like 1/4 mile?
Counties can have noise ordinances too. It's not just a city thing.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
well getting told by the police you're playing too loud is pretty metal! or rock 'n roll, or whatever genre you play, i havent listened to your music yet.
The Voices made me post that

Hi everybody it's me, Facebones!

I'm sure it would be helpful to know where exactly you are on earth as I'm 100% sure these things change depending on state, country and so on.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MattsRichardson
Alright, so last night my band and I were planning on jamming through the night, but apparently some of the neighbors weren't having that at all so they called in a noise complaint. And so a cop showed up and told us to stop basically, which I would see as being more than reasonable if we were within city limits BUT we're quite literally out in the middle of cow pastures and fields, so the neighbors aren't even remotely close [but as a side note, he did say we sounded good]. My question is basically if you are outside of city limits in most towns is there typically some sort of mandate stating that you can't be overly loud? also, to find specific laws and noise codes for my area does anybody have any idea where to look that up?

tl;dr LOUD NOISES, lame far-away neighbors calling in a noise complaint, whats the policy outside of city limits?

you could have always just turned it down. You don't need to be turned up to eleven just for jamming. Bad for your ears too man.
Quote by RU Experienced?
If the neighbors aren't remotely close and they can still hear your shitty band practicing you're playing too loud.

Really?

Quote by Auto_Nom
well getting told by the police you're playing too loud is pretty metal! or rock 'n roll, or whatever genre you play, i havent listened to your music yet.

Meh not so metal, more alternative chill meets reggae jazz?
Some people have to sleep and some people don't like noise.
You have to meet half way and realise that.
It's completely in their right to call to stop loud noises. You wouldn't relly want to be woken up throughout the night to chavs in their Saxos booming out drum and bass outside your house.

I know I didn't.

You should just turn it down to listenable levels.
And save your ears.
play full volume outside your neigbours door, then theyll realise its not so bad when you are a quarter of a mile away
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by Silent Murder
Some people have to sleep and some people don't like noise.
You have to meet half way and realise that.
It's completely in their right to call to stop loud noises. You wouldn't relly want to be woken up throughout the night to chavs in their Saxos booming out drum and bass outside your house.

I know I didn't.

You should just turn it down to listenable levels.
And save your ears.

Oh no I totally agree. I'm mostly just curious as to what the policies typically are, this was in no way meant to find a loophole just so we can seriously piss off the neighbors. and honestly, we weren't that loud.
Quote by MattsRichardson
Meh not so metal, more alternative chill meets reggae jazz?

that sounds awesome, no need for anyone to complain about that
The Voices made me post that

Hi everybody it's me, Facebones!

Quote by MattsRichardson
Oh no I totally agree. I'm mostly just curious as to what the policies typically are, this was in no way meant to find a loophole just so we can seriously piss off the neighbors. and honestly, we weren't that loud.

Alot of people live out in those kinds of areas to get away from the noise of the city and are pretty sensitive. They hear it a little and it drives them nuts. My guess is that since the police showed up, its legitimate. The police would have told them there was nothing they could do about it over the phone had it not been.
Quote by MattsRichardson

You quite obviously were that loud though, the only thing here is that your definition of "that loud" is different from theirs.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Even in the country, sound can carry on a still night. Turn it down a bit and you should be fine next time.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by mh1986
Alot of people live out in those kinds of areas to get away from the noise of the city and are pretty sensitive. They hear it a little and it drives them nuts. My guess is that since the police showed up, its legitimate. The police would have told them there was nothing they could do about it over the phone had it not been.

police have shown up, in force, for stupider things
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Usually you can be as loud as you want, within reason, until 10pm. People have to sleep, and given your neighbors may have little kids, 10 is plenty late.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
Usually you can be as loud as you want, within reason, until 10pm. People have to sleep, and given your neighbors may have little kids, 10 is plenty late.

It's 11:00 here, and it sucks. My neighbours are complete cunts.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Yep.

It's not so much a distance issue from city limits as it is a time of day issue. Most noise ordinance laws are in effect outside of the hours of 9AM through 10PM. If you're loud outside of those hours, you're technically violating the laws, and can be complained on.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
They could've just came over and asked you to be quiet...I don't think it was necessary to waste police resources.
Also...don't play so loud lol
That was pretty dick of them if they didn't come round themselves to tell you to be quiet first.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
I've been told to shut up by neighbours at like 3pm. "It's a nice day and my and my family would like to sit outside and have a relaxing time".

I told them we'd quieten down but we won't stop because we needed to practice for a gig. The guy was understanding, so we cut the volume by about half and everything was fine.
in england after 11 oclock you can be asked to be quieter but you have no legal obligation to do so as long as you are under 100db. though to keep good relations with your neighbours its usually a good idea.

this happened me and some mates camping for a BUCS competition one weekend. hint dont come up and threaten legal action to a group of law and town planning students you will walk away feeling mentally raped
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
Quote by gillehy
in england after 11 oclock you can be asked to be quieter but you have no legal obligation to do so as long as you are under 100db. though to keep good relations with your neighbours its usually a good idea.

this happened me and some mates camping for a BUCS competition one weekend. hint dont come up and threaten legal action to a group of law and town planning students you will walk away feeling mentally raped

100dB? **** me that's nearly as loud as a music concert...
Quote by boreamor
100dB? **** me that's nearly as loud as a music concert...

that is what the laws there for it only applies to private residences. if your out in your car or something in a public area you can be done for disturbing the peace etc
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
My recommendation, if you are disturbingly loud from 250 yards away, try jamming indoors...
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Quote by gillehy
that is what the laws there for it only applies to private residences. if your out in your car or something in a public area you can be done for disturbing the peace etc

This is louder than a jackhammer though... If you're playing that loudly you deserve to get shut down.

Hell you shouldn't be playing more than like, 60dB.
Quote by boreamor
This is louder than a jackhammer though... If you're playing that loudly you deserve to get shut down.

Hell you shouldn't be playing more than like, 60dB.]

Really? That's only about conversation volume? I can play an unplugged electric louder than than that. You need to be practising a good deal louder than that. Add four other instruments with that, you can easily go over 100 dB total.
If your neighborhood has noise covanents, you could be fined if there is another violation.

If you dont, excessive noise might be disturbing the peace...check your local laws and regulations..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Where to look up ordinances, we don't know where you live. So one way would be to google "noise ordinance [name of county]"

Second, in my area when a complaint is called, they just tell you to turn it down. If they have to tell you again it's $100 per infraction.

There was a jerk-off neighbor that constantly play music way too loud. I tried to be nice and ask him to turn it down, he did for about 30min. So I called in a complaint. So did 8 other houses in the neighborhood. Oddly, it took this genius getting fine $400 before he finally got the hint.

Noise complaints were called in like 5 nights in a row. After the first night he was fined every time. I heard him whining about it to some guy...
1/4 mile isn't really that far. If you were playing fairly loudly I could understand them being able to hear it. More so if you're living somewhere that doesn't have much else going on. The noise will be more noticeable when there isn't much background noise.

As far as the policy goes, I'm sure it applies everywhere. You're just less likely to have someone notice if you don't have neighbors.
I had the same problem with my neighbours. They would insist on playing music REALLY LOUDLY all the time, so we called the police, after warning them on numerous times. Your neighbours should really have warned you first, but they probably got sick of it.

Its just not funny, the opposite way round, so I'd say just turn down the volume (or even play acoustic, with quiet bass and hand percussion, if thats possible) and keep yourself out of trouble. Maybe an apology to the neighbours would be a good move too.
Quote by robhc
Really? That's only about conversation volume? I can play an unplugged electric louder than than that. You need to be practising a good deal louder than that. Add four other instruments with that, you can easily go over 100 dB total.

100dB is around the level of a gas powered lawn mower. Since a Boeing 747 is around 140 dB, you can see that 40dB is a big difference (lawn mower to jet plane, or in your case, ordinary conversation levels to a lawn mower). Anything over, I think 80dB, for prolonged periods of time can damage your hearing permanently. If your out in the middle of nowhere there really isn't much around to hinder the sound from traveling so it will still be fairly loud by the time it reaches your neighbors.

tl:dr Just turn it down, tinnitus sucks anyways. I miss the sound of silence.

EDIT: If you do find your area's noise laws you have every right to buy a dB meter and play at (I would opt for slightly under) the legal level.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Last edited by rjdusa at May 22, 2011,
People have the right not to be disturbed in their own home.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Be quieter?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 2