Hey guys. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (bought in like 2004?). For the longest time it has been popping/hissing/crackling and I just thought it was the tubes and left it alone because I was mostly away at school.

So when I get home, I tapped each tube with a pencil and I can hear the tapping through the amp for one of the preamp tubes (a 12ax7). So today, I bought a new preamp tube (a 12ax7-c), and again it is still popping/crackling. I tapped the new tube and I can still hear it through the amp.

What's the problem with this amp? Could it be due to the fact that it is a 12ax7-c instead of just a regular 12ax7? Or is it a problem bigger than just a bad tube?

Thanks guys!
Try shuffling the preamp tubes. The problem can be caused not by the tube itself but rather by this tube socket or some broken solder joint attached to it.
I shuffled the preamp tubes and everything, but it is just this one tube socket. I'm pretty sure it's something like ^^ said.

I was gonna sell the Deluxe to get a better amp. I was trying to sell it on Craigslist for $400, but now that it's broken, this guy is offering $325 because of a $75 cost to fix an amp.

Do you guys think this is a good idea?

I'm going to a new city for the summer so I would've had to ship it, which would cost a lot, and it's not even an amp I really like. Was thinking of also selling my Taylor for around $800 and getting a used amp for around $1000.