Page 1 of 2
Alright I will be getting a new tube amp head and need some help deciding what to pick out.
I will use this at home and possible gigs that will have a pa system.
My budget for the head is $250.
I mostly play classic rock and some newer rock, but clean is a must. Wattage I want is around 5.
Must be all tube no superchamp or vibrochamp!
I use a 93' epiphone sg.
Influences for music are Clapton and Page. I want to have good bass response but want the most minimalistic amp controls possible only need a volume knob as i use tone at my guitar knobs.
Thank you for all your help.
your probably not gonna be able to get a real clean sound sound out of a 5 watt tube head unless the volume is way down.
check out the VHT special 6
Quote by cmc5890
Alright I will be getting a new tube amp head and need some help deciding what to pick out.
I will use this at home and possible gigs that will have a pa system.
My budget for the head is $250.
I mostly play classic rock and some newer rock, but clean is a must. Wattage I want is around 5.
Must be all tube no superchamp or vibrochamp!
I use a 93' epiphone sg.
Influences for music are Clapton and Page. I want to have good bass response but want the most minimalistic amp controls possible only need a volume knob as i use tone at my guitar knobs.
Thank you for all your help.

you being serious?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
5 seemed loud enough I have played 5 watt tube amps that are very loud before. And yes I don't feel the need for extreme amounts of controls I get more out of my guitar knob controls than I do my amp controls. Will go used but prefer new. But clean I have a very sparkly clean ss amp but I want to get that nice tube clean I can play at very low volumes where I live.
I can have controls on the amp but will rarely use them and I have a multitude of guitar shops in the area which carry the vox ac4, epi valve junior, VHT, ht5 and others.
Played the orange not a fan it was way too deep with my sg.
I like the dirty clean tone. But all those I listed were under budget. What do you think of any of those?
Not been able to test any besides the valve junior and really liked it. I'm intrigued by the ht5 seeing as I'm a poor college student needing to stretch my budget. I've heard great reviews on the ac4 as well though. VHT is new to the market am I right?
Well I know a person with a valve junior and it had enough clean headroom for me and in my basement with a 1x12 we couldn't dime it without it being unbearably loud and that is where I play so 5 is enough and I liked the tone of his but I need to test out more heads. Thank you for being so helpful since I like to shape my guitar tone from my guitar not an amp most people just say umm what!?!
The VHT is the best of the bunch without any mods done to it...even better with mods!
I also think its the loudest and has the most clean head room.
You can get the head version for under $200
thanks for the input I will probably be testing out amps in the next two days. Do you think that the JCA20h is even worth testing I heard that was a loud SOB.
save your money, get an orange tiny terror. You will not be disappointed.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
I tried the tiny terror with a orange cabinet and it was way to dark for me.
Alright so I will probably be getting a valve junior put new jj tubes in it with my custom 1x12 eminence governor cabinet.
Normally I'd suggest something else but for what you want the valve junior is about as close to perfect as you can get. If you're handy with a soldering iron it's even better.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
I love how you specified must be ALL TUBE then asked about the HT5.....

But yeah a VJ should do pretty well for what you want.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Pat s1t what would you suggest. I don't see a reason for a comment like that unless you have an alternative to it.
Sorry I know very little about the ht5 since I asked that all tube I expected from the response it would be my mistake.
your budget is difficult to work with,
i'd be patient an save a little more money so you can buy something and not end up hating it.
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Quote by cmc5890
Alright so I will probably be getting a valve junior put new jj tubes in it with my custom 1x12 eminence governor cabinet.

The VHT is so much better, I have a valve jr(modded) and and a VHT special 6(modded and the VHT is much better stock!
The VHT seems to have a very fenderish sound im told is this true?
Quote by cmc5890
The VHT seems to have a very fenderish sound im told is this true?

It does have a fenderish sound
Go used or increase budget, all tube with low cost sound poor IMO
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Quote by cmc5890
Pat s1t what would you suggest. I don't see a reason for a comment like that unless you have an alternative to it.
I can't suggest anything, that's the point. There is nothing I can think of in that price range with those specs.
Wait a minute I was reading up on that VHT special 6 it looks like it is self biasing. Is this true?
15W vox night train duh....
what are you guys reccomending ht5???? for classic rock!!! wth
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by cmc5890
Wait a minute I was reading up on that VHT special 6 it looks like it is self biasing. Is this true?

I dont remember if thats what its called, but it can use any octal tube according to VHT, some of the bigger tubes like KT88's make the power transformer run a little hot, but that could be easily fixed.
Quote by deepsal
15W vox night train duh....
what are you guys reccomending ht5???? for classic rock!!! wth
Because he wants it to be about 5 watts... He's kinda limited in terms of options.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
It cannot be too loud Ive tried louder. about 5-8 is what i need. But i went to guitar center today.... called to make sure the special 6 was in stock to try they said come on over you can try one... i got there and they said "we dont sell VHT amps" total bullshit tried to sell me a tiny terror amp when i said i did not want that amp eariler when he mentioned it. That place is dissapointing.
Kustom Defender, 5 watts, single volume knob, $99...

I actually wanted one for this little 4x8 cab I have but can't find the Defender or even a used EVJ around here.
Yea the place is terrible but I needed to look at this head and they were the only ones in the area with it. I guess not they just lost my business and that of everyone I know. I even called after I went they said it was in stock then I called them out on it and they just hung up. But how is that kustom I've played the 50 watt defender before and that was pretty good.
VHT Special 6 is probably the best 5 watter on a budget. Better than the VJ, Vox, Champ 600.
Its a tweaked out BF champ with a SS rectifier, point to point handwired, very mod friendly, without mods its a great amp, if a little dark, swapping one resistor in the tonestack will rectify that though.
Last edited by beckyjc at May 30, 2011,
Thanks for the advise I might just have to buy it without testing seeing as I can't anywhere and can get a 45 day satisfaction return policy.
Page 1 of 2