Hi. I have a jcm 800 2205 along with marshall 1960av 4x12 and i get the sound im looking for by cranking channel volume and master volume, attenuating it and dropping the gain to about 4/10. Im the kind of guy thats never happy so i was thinking whats the point in having this high gain two channel amp when a plexi - cranked through an attenuator - would get the same level of gain and maybe give me better tone. Anybody have experience playing through a jcm 800 and plexi? (i was thinking maybe a 1987x or bluesbreaker amp). Ive always wondered about getting a "plexi" but worried it might not sound as good as my current rig.
Quote by anderson80
Hi. I have a jcm 800 2205 along with marshall 1960av 4x12 and i get the sound im looking for by cranking channel volume and master volume, attenuating it and dropping the gain to about 4/10. Im the kind of guy thats never happy so i was thinking whats the point in having this high gain two channel amp when a plexi - cranked through an attenuator - would get the same level of gain and maybe give me better tone. Anybody have experience playing through a jcm 800 and plexi? (i was thinking maybe a 1987x or bluesbreaker amp). Ive always wondered about getting a "plexi" but worried it might not sound as good as my current rig.

depending on the attenuator, amp and speakers...

potentially.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Isnt that the JCM with the cliping diodes?
If thats the case, a Plexi/clone will suit you well.

yeah it is. still sounds great though although i cant help but feel the amp would be more at home with high gain stuff! only other marshall ive owned was a tsl601 combo which doesnt compare really...
Since you have the diode 800, you're going to get a different (better, IMO) tone through the Plexi.

If you want more gain and an 800 tone, just boost it with something like a Tubescreamer or Fulldrive. Minus the Master volume, that's basically all an 800 is anyways: a metalface circuit with more gain, added treble and less bass. (i.e. a tubescreamer boost)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Maybe just mod the 2205? There's a lot of them out there. You could just start by just removing the clipping diode network.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification