Im having a serious issue here ive been practicing my vibrato for a long time, and im really confused as how you mute the string that is two away from the one you're on. for example, im bending my e string high one and doing a tone bend. i do not get this issue with half step bends. when i do the vibrato, i bend up... it hits the g string... i release and it sounds like shit. i have no issue with the adjacent string. i can bend my e string and not ever worry about the b string because the meat of my bending finger naturally mutes it... but the g string is a whole other story. when i bend up, i always hit it on large bends, it rings out.
If i do it nice and slowly my finger gently moves into it, but when im doing aggressive vibrato it always rings out... which is effectively stopping me from doing wide vibrato. it happens every time i hit the string. i try muting it with my hand... ive tried exclusively muting it by holding it but as soon as my fingers and the e and b strings are coming up... if i go that extra distance to fulfill the bend and hit that g string im done for.
is this something to do with action
sadly i live in the middle of no where and have no access to a teacher. ive been self taught for many years and this is the first time ive run into something that i have no idea how to solve.
: )
right handed muting, or use whatever left finger is available to reach over and mute the strings you're having trouble with. proper muting is one of the most useful techniques for anybody serious about playing live
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
right handed muting, or use whatever left finger is available to reach over and mute the strings you're having trouble with. proper muting is one of the most useful techniques for anybody serious about playing live

the problem is ive tried right handed music and even if i literally choke the string full out with my right hand palm, it still

i also tried with my left hand, and the only way i can mute the string is if i have my index finger be on the b string in this case and happen to mute it when i go up.
but since you said live, what i just said ^ is not feasible at all since it requires more than one finger bending and causes awkward tension

thus i'm lost
^ if you're muting the note with your right hand, it can't ring out. That's it. You're doing it wrong if anything else happens.

If you're doing wide vibrato it can be very handy to use the index finger as mute for all the treble strings, and do the vibrato on the 2nd or 3rd finger.
Use a different finger to bend the g string at the same time that you're bending the other string. This will push the g string out of the way of the string that's being bent. Since your other finger will be on the g string, and you will not strum it, the g string will be muted and will not sound.
Please view my first ever recording on my profile - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
I should say that when I do 1/2 step I don't run into any issues. the problem here is that I'm trying Marty Friedman like whole step bends, and because they're done rather fast, they sort of clank into the G string for the lack of a better word

@Freepower: i know that the muting does work just when i'm doing it aggressively, even when i have the whole flesh of my palm on it pressing down to the point where even it doesn't sound through when i pick it normally, there still seems to be some noise on the fret itself which is confusing the crap out of me-- i think it's actually getting 'plucked' just by me retracting with slightly more speed.

whats weird is that it doesnt happen when i'm bending my B string and interact with the D string... possibly a bad string? can this be bad action?

@Mishakuz: while it sounds like a good idea... and it does work, having that extra reach over is quite awkward and may be band-aiding an underlying problem with a string but TY
@Freepower: i know that the muting does work just when i'm doing it aggressively, even when i have the whole flesh of my palm on it pressing down to the point where even it doesn't sound through when i pick it normally, there still seems to be some noise on the fret itself which is confusing the crap out of me-- i think it's actually getting 'plucked' just by me retracting with slightly more speed.

whats weird is that it doesnt happen when i'm bending my B string and interact with the D string... possibly a bad string? can this be bad action?

Is it possible the frets are a little dodgy? Old worn frets grind a little and a fret with a small nick in it will "pluck" the string when vibrato'd.