First off, im a guitarist, i know how to play bass (properly) but have never used anything beyond the samick rental i used when i took music in school like 7 years ago.

Now me and my friend and starting up a recording studio and such. And we've got all the hardware software ect for that. and fortunately for us we both have pretty extensive knowledge of six strings and guitar amps.

Now neither of us know dick about Bass gear. for now seeing as the loan our partners approved for us isn't as high as we had hoped, we have a fairly low budget for buying the addition things we need. as we will need much of this money for advertisment and starting costs ect.

So to the point. I'm in charge of getting tohe gear, as my friend has decided to deal with the other stuff. like i said i dont know all too much about bass. There are things like, yeah i know about ampeg and great companies ect. But mostly i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a few basses (we'd like to at least get a hold of 4 or 5 for now, as we'll purchase more as we pay off our loan and bring in more gear ect) and a few bass amps. So i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for decent quality gear, at an affordable cost. as i said our loan wasnt too too much to get the stuff our partner wants us too. we have around a little under 5000 to spend on bass gear.
5000 what?
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at May 22, 2011,
Quote by fleajr_1412
5000 in what currency?

5000 dollars canadian, which right now i think is like roughly 5100 in US right now
It's good idea to get a five string and maybe even six string as well but I wouldn't recommend fender for that. And make sure you have at least one 24 fret bass.
Quote by obeythepenguin
Wow, usually these threads are people with unrealistic expectations demanding custom-shop features for under $200 (barely enough for a low-end Squier, let alone an amp). For a lot of us, $5000 sounds like a lot.

Anyway, your best bet is probably an MIA Fender Precision or Jazz -- either one will do, and with your budget, you could probably get both and still afford a halfway decent amp. (Don't quote me on it, though.) They're both extremely versatile, and work well for most anything -- it's not like guitars where you need dozens to cover every possible sound.

If you don't want to spend quite that much, the MIM Fenders are also pretty solid. I swear by them, though you may want to try a few since sometimes they can be hit-and-miss. You could probably get two of those, some kind of five-string, and an amp. At any rate, I'd definitely have at least one Fender -- they're the industry standard, and you can't really go wrong with them.

But eh, that's just my two cents.

haha, yeah no, not quite the case here. 200 dollars wouldnt' quite cover the quality or quantity we need for business purposes.

We figured fender would be a way to go the thing is, that im no so wise with amps. i mean half of the Guitar Amps we have in the studio are ours because like i said we know alot, and i agree totally, with the multiple amps ect to cover a sound (same with guitars)

well with the spending, I'd rather spend a little bit more to get a few less of the product than more that wont really cut it. Cause we can't be taken seriously if we're the place with low quality instruments. Another concern is, as i mentioned, we kind of need multiple bass guitars as well as multiple bass amps. With our budget im curious as if you would think we could get what we need? (in your personal opinion)
I would try and get a jazz and a P definately. if you can get a warwick or a MM that would be good too. as far as amps, im not very knowledgeable, but make sure you have either a 410 or a 210. and a 115 for cabs.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by zac11114
haha, yeah no, not quite the case here. 200 dollars wouldnt' quite cover the quality or quantity we need for business purposes.

We figured fender would be a way to go the thing is, that im no so wise with amps. i mean half of the Guitar Amps we have in the studio are ours because like i said we know alot, and i agree totally, with the multiple amps ect to cover a sound (same with guitars)

well with the spending, I'd rather spend a little bit more to get a few less of the product than more that wont really cut it. Cause we can't be taken seriously if we're the place with low quality instruments. Another concern is, as i mentioned, we kind of need multiple bass guitars as well as multiple bass amps. With our budget im curious as if you would think we could get what we need? (in your personal opinion)

Having a wide range of basses should really be more of a concern than amps. You could get a really nice transparent sounding head and a 410, and then if you want the sound of a particular amp then you could use some VST software. It's most important to get a transparent sounding head so it's easy to mould the tone. I'd recommend looking at TC Electronic, Carvin, Phil Jones, Eden, Markbass, Aquilar, Bergantino (their cabs are incredible) and Genz Benz. You may want to look into a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver. It doubles as an excellent D.I. box and is really useful if you want to add a bit of grit.

+1 to getting a Jazz and Precision, stay away from Fender if you want to a five string. Try Yamaha, Warwick, Ibanez, Peavey, Spector and Lakland for decent fives.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I'm not sure what 'business' you're going to need all this for, it sounds a bit excessive to me.

A good quality amp of your choice (I'd go for a Markbass or a Fender Bassman Pro) and a 6x10, 8x10 or something similar to your tastes is all you need amp-wise.

Bass-wise, if I was going to be a serious touring musician, I would have a couple of 4 strings, maybe one or 2 5 strings and a fretless (I'd get a fretless 5er). I can't see you needing more than that.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
A sansamp and some kind of ampeg cabinet
Fairly stock stand things for bass
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
You may want to try Ebay. If you are careful,diligent and look over what is up for bid you can find some great deals . may stretch out your $ a bit further
The Dean of Discontent
University of Beelzebub
Hell, Antarctica
If it were me kitting out a studio for myself:

P bass with decent flats
Some kind of 5er, maybe an Ibanez or hell, a Musicman
Maybe a J as well if you've got the cash left
Sansamp BDDI
A vintage sounding amp - ie Ampeg (best to get this used)
A modern sounding amp - I know shit all about these but I guess a Phil Jones or a Markbass would do the job
For that money.
MIA Standard P.
Five string Stringray.
Sansamp.
Something tubed. Probably an old Bassman or an SVT-CL if you can score one for the right price.
Something more modern. Markbass, EA, TC Electronics and Eden spring to mind.
A nice 410, probably either Aguliar, Bergantino or Eden. You don't need an 810 for a studio and you'll probably be DIing most people unless they're that adamant about being mic'c.
Buy as much as you can used and probably have pocket money left over.

Remember you'll get a lot people that want to use their own amps/basses too.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at May 24, 2011,
Bass-wise I think you should check out MTD and Lakland. Sure, they aren't the standards, but I find they're built a lot better and sound a lot cooler.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
For that amount of money?

Hmm..

Verellen Meat Smoke with matching 4x10 cabinet

http://www.verellenamplifiers.com/products.html

and either:
A Fender MiA jazz bass or P-Bass
A Music man bongo or stingray
A warwick perhaps?
A Lakland?
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Last edited by Fishybones at May 25, 2011,
I've had a chance finally to come look at this, i know it's been forever since this thread, I took all posts into consideration and we got ahold of what we needed and I'm happy with our purchases, thanks to you all for your contributions!
Out of curiosity, what did you end up getting?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Also out of curiousity, Where is the studio, and what is the alarms number?

...What?...GAS is a dangerous thing y'know...