I've recently bought an old electric guitar of one of my friends and I noticed that the intonation was off so I fixed it and bought new saddles but the off tuning sound persisted until I realized that the problem is mainly on the first 3 frets of my G string. The string itself is new and was put on properly. I'm not that experienced with fixing guitars so any help is appreciated.
Have you tested with a tuner to see if it is actually in tune? I often think the G string is out of tune on my guitars but it seems to be in perfect tune. Is it perhaps some fret buzz mixing in with the tone you're hearing?
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by nitestick
Have you tested with a tuner to see if it is actually in tune? I often think the G string is out of tune on my guitars but it seems to be in perfect tune. Is it perhaps some fret buzz mixing in with the tone you're hearing?

I've used 3 tuners on it, My zoom H2 built in tuner, My clip on vibration tuner(sound wrong but i dont remember the name) and my guitar pedal tuner. I do get fret buzz on the same string but only on higher frets.
This is common; the nut slot is not cut deep enough to stay in tune on those slots. But depending on how high your frets are it may not be possible to cut the slot any lower without the strings hitting the frets when played open. If it's a huge problem you can have a tech try to lower the slot a little.
Quote by jpnyc
This is common; the nut slot is not cut deep enough to stay in tune on those slots. But depending on how high your frets are it may not be possible to cut the slot any lower without the strings hitting the frets when played open. If it's a huge problem you can have a tech try to lower the slot a little.

Cool thanks, I'll try see if thats the problem