Page 1 of 3
Just a thread to shed some light on great bass players who are often left out of the spotlight. When people talk about "great" bassists, the same names are tossed around: Flea, Burton, Wooten, etc, despite there being a wealth of other bassists who are more than their match; they just never made it big.

Post links, pics and gear, whatever people might want to know. Think of them as mini BPOTMs.

This guy I have a real soft spot for: Mark Bedford of the ska/pop band Madness. Geezer Butler and Tim Commerford may be my constant inspiration but this is the guy that taught me how to play in the first place. Nice funky/bouncy/whatever lines that were easy to play but infinitely satisfying at the same time and that's soul and centre to me.

Embarrassment by Madness
House of Fun by Madness, actually the first full song I learnt to play that wasn't just root notes.

As you can probably tell from those tracks, he's a Fender P plus Ampeg man.

Now your turn, any bassist you know of deserving of some extra credit and attention?
Last edited by Spaz91 at May 23, 2011,

Al Cisneros.

He's not exactly unsung, but I don't think he gets enough recognition because his style of music isn't all that popular.

Also, bugger your P bass through Ampeg man, this guy's a Rickenbacker through Matamp Green amps and 4x15 cabs... guy. Just imagine being his roadie .

Wikipedia knows a lot more about his past bands than I do, I just love him because of Sleep and Om.

And finally, here's a funny video of him being almost too stoned to perform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jprlHifQCIM
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy. The grittier tracks had some nasty, visceral lines, and the first few albums had some stuff that was smooth as hell, like ''Raygun''.

And as stupid as it sounds, Geddy Lee on everything after signals. It's like he listened to Hemispheres and said ''I have to calm the hell down''. As a result we have some bloody tasty stuff like ''Animate'' or ''Driven'' that while simple, is fun as hell to play. Theres pretty much no credit given to his playing beyond Moving Pictures though.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EkXfjyzjkk

Edit AGAIN: Godamnit Gilly, I always forget Al. Which I guess is kind of the point.
Last edited by GrStMyGn at May 22, 2011,
Jamie Cavanagh from Anathema.He's not known for much other than he is the brother to two of the guitarists of the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvTvxAZpaMc&feature=related

EDIT:Couple of pics

Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at May 22, 2011,
Quote by dark Mass

Is it just me, or is that lead guitarist out of tune?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Is it just me, or is that lead guitarist out of tune?

He is.

EDIT:New video though it's a studio mix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6vLmU7HbHc
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at May 22, 2011,
Jean Baudin

bassist for nuclear rabbit, element of surprise and his own solo work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEJ6bFzFJaI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T60DXXHcT-A&feature=related

He plays a lot of tap and slap style bass, and fills out sonic space like no ones business. listening to nuclear rabbit makes it hard to believe there was only 1 guitarist and 1 bassist. Hes a heavy user of erbs playing a 6 string in most of his band work and playing an 11string [uncoursed] for his solo work. he also has a 12 string but he says that 12 strings is just too many.

One of my favorite players for his unique style and intentionally genreless band as well as his hauntingly beautiful solo work.
no sir away a papaya war is on
No one ever says anything about Royston Langdon, or Spacehog in general.

His playing, while not complicated, is fucking tasty and just really awesome.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I don't think Juan Alderete gets enough credit tbh! Im not a fan of Racer X but his skills are unquestionable and his work with The Mars Volta is just amazing, serious chops,and an awesome tone, reminds me a little of Justin Chancellor but maybe thats just me?

Either way preps to the man
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Sonny Dallas - The skill it must have taken to give Lee Konitz's Motion some sense of direction and stucture is enormous. Had a weaker bass player been on this record it'd be unlistenable.

Andy Simpkins - powerful playing, good sound, good solos. just solid all around.
#DTWD
Quote by Dan_5893
Jon Stockman

Karnivool bassist, he's absolutely amazing. Has a beautiful OD tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjvtx3HMUks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUmARJ0o6Hw

Agreed, could listen to Karnivool all day.

For me an unsung bassist would be Sam Rivers of Limp Bizkit, he doesn't get near enough the amount of attention he should. Have a listen to Re-arranged, such a tasteful player.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Bruce Thomas of the Attractions (Yes, I've said this before..). He really defined the early sound of Elvis Costello's records from the second disk onward. Too bad he and Costello hate each other's guts. He took Motown + pub rock + new wave and turned bass playing into a whole new direction.

Graham Maby

Graham pulled such tasty bass lines as Joe Jackson's bass player that Jackson would often re-write songs to compliment them. He also been a prominent bass player for They Might Be Giants and has done studio work for countless others. Like Thomas, he has the knack for pulling in a wide scope of influences and making it uniquely his own.
Quote by anarkee
Bruce Thomas of the Attractions (Yes, I've said this before..). He really defined the early sound of Elvis Costello's records from the second disk onward. Too bad he and Costello hate each other's guts. He took Motown + pub rock + new wave and turned bass playing into a whole new direction.

+1, I would kill for a tab of Lipstick Vogue.
Most people don't mention his bass playing on the first QotSA album when singing his praises though. That hollow Yamaha sounds awesome.
Lee Barrett formerly of extreme noise terror and to mera. the guy is a beast. and he discovered emperor and opeth too. lovely guy
^ agreed!! When I saw them this year he switiched between a Fender jazz and an awesome lookin Kramer, which had THE most beastly sustain and bottom end!!! Very tasteful player
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by smb
Most people don't mention his bass playing on the first QotSA album when singing his praises though. That hollow Yamaha sounds awesome.

True, that Yamaha was my Holy Grail for a while but I gave up. If I ever see one for <£500 I'm nabbing it.
Haha okay well I'll buy it off of you when you get bored of it
Not exactly unsung in the punk/hardcore scene, but on the whole very underrepresented: Brian Robinson from A Wilhelm Scream.

This is the way hardcore bass is meant to be played. Almost jazzy in the number of notes he manages to cram in.

Notable works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSCX_vuRDWc - The Horse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XUFh3QnPD0 - Our Ghosts
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Deliriumbassist
No-one talks about TM Stevens, Steve Bailey or Doug Wimbish.

Steve Bailey has had three endorsement deals for signature basses and is now with Warwick (ugly-assed 'Wick, though). How much more "sung" can you get? I very much agree about Doug Wimbish, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Steve Bailey has had three endorsement deals for signature basses and is now with Warwick (ugly-assed 'Wick, though). How much more "sung" can you get? I very much agree about Doug Wimbish, though.

Three endorsement deals, yes. But how often have you heard the name? Same with Jacki Reznicek, Victor Bailey and Damien Erskine. Heck, Doug has his name on the most expensive production Spector. I can count on my fingers how many times any of these guys have been mentioned, yet they all have sig models.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
No-one talks about TM Stevens, Steve Bailey or Doug Wimbish.

Doug Wimbish is one of those players I really enjoy, but I can't but feel he covers everything up with a load of effects.

Edit: I played a Doug Wimbish sig on Thursday. Sooooooooooooooo nice.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
Doug Wimbish is one of those players I really enjoy, but I can't but feel he covers everything up with a load of effects.

Edit: I played a Doug Wimbish sig on Thursday. Sooooooooooooooo nice.

I've read through his rig. It's INSANE. He has a separate rig for onstage and FOH- both can go stereo if he wants.
You could argue having done arena and stadium tours since the 70s would exclude him, but when do you ever hear any talk about the greatness of Garry W. Tallent?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.

Thank you Mike D'Antonio for never losing the amount of BALLS in your tone and making up some pretty sexy basslines.

Also, thank you Paul Romanko for showing that bass DOES play an important role in metal, and coming up with sick basslines/solos. Although you really need to come out more, ****ing guitars always get in the way
pinga
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I've read through his rig. It's INSANE. He has a separate rig for onstage and FOH- both can go stereo if he wants.

Have any links? I heard his rig is pretty complicated, never bothered to check it out though...
Quote by skater dan0
I am going with Glenn Hughes (Mark 3,4 Deep Purple). This man was very melodic in his creation of rock basslines.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Page 1 of 3