I've thought of a cool, wierd (and expensive lol) way to arrange a band. possibly a metal band

Have the bassist (or whatever you'd call it) play on a 10 string chapman stick tuned in reciprocal tuning: http://www.stick.com/instruments/tunings/10/dbr/

a guitarist with an 8 string tuned like a 7 string: BEADGbea

and another rhythm/fill guitarist (don't know if u'd need it with the guy on a chapman stick) playing 4-stringed guitar tuned BEAD playing power chords lol

and of course a drummer, possibly with a double bass drum and some hand percussion on the side.

frontman

I thought it'd be really cool to do a set up like this and with all the possibilities and sound this would make
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Boss Fender 65 dlx reverb pedal
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
if it would be kickass, I think- is not guarenteed.
but it would be a kinda animals as leaders + viraemia.... or unexspect...

why that kinda of guitars.? what do you have musically to offer....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B

Quote by Kear Bear
IHave the bassist (or whatever you'd call it) play on a 10 string chapman stick tuned in reciprocal tuning: http://www.stick.com/instruments/tunings/10/dbr/

a guitarist with an 8 string tuned like a 7 string: BEADGbea

and another rhythm/fill guitarist (don't know if u'd need it with the guy on a chapman stick) playing 4-stringed guitar tuned BEAD playing power chords lol

The 2nd guitarist will just sound like somebody playing power chords on a 7 string.

The 1st guitarist will wound like someone playing a 7 string.

The bassist will sound like someone with a 10 string bass.

And that's about it. Making music is more about the melodies you use, rather than random scales, tuning and strings. You didn't really think those last two guitars would sound anything different than a 7 string did you?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
well no i thought for the 8 string it'd be cool to have all those extra high notes for some wierd sounding things, the chord voicings would also be phenomenal!

and giving the bassist a chapman stick, he'd have more of a roll like a piano player, as well as the bassist.
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
with both of those instruments, the chord voicings and the melodies would be almost endless. so much experimentation would be extremely encouraged.

the 4 string guitar might've just been something for the frontman to play during instrumental passages so that he doesn't get bored lol.
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
Quote by Kear Bear
with both of those instruments, the chord voicings and the melodies would be almost endless. so much experimentation would be extremely encouraged.

the 4 string guitar might've just been something for the frontman to play during instrumental passages so that he doesn't get bored lol.

Experimentation comes with all instruments, but if this particular setup works for you go for it. I wouldn't hold your breath for the 10 string bass but meh.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I wouldn't hold your breath for the 10 string bass but meh.

oh i know.... 2100 bucks minimum for it. though this is all theoretical; it'd be forever till i can pull this off, or if i pull it off
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
Quote by Kear Bear
oh i know.... 2100 bucks minimum for it. though this is all theoretical; it'd be forever till i can pull this off, or if i pull it off

And find a person who can play it well
Soundcloud
Apart from lasting longer, you might find a high G instead of an A to be useful for chord phrasings. I found the minor third instead of the perfect fourth to be far more useful. I think closer voicings work better in the higher registers.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
Apart from lasting longer, you might find a high G instead of an A to be useful for chord phrasings. I found the minor third instead of the perfect fourth to be far more useful. I think closer voicings work better in the higher registers.

oh that'd work way better dude!

and btw if you hear Rusty Coolly play on the high a string it almost sounds like pinch harmonics! (not that i can even get close to his abilities)

And find a person who can play it well

oh exactly. i would think a guy experienced in bass and piano would be pretty ok with this
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
Quote by Kear Bear
oh exactly. i would think a guy experienced in bass and piano would be pretty ok with this

I'd prefer someone with experience on 10 string basses actually.
Soundcloud
yeah but how many of those are in podunk USA? lol
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
Quote by Kear Bear
yeah but how many of those are in podunk USA? lol

Well they aren't very common anywhere in the world. Most musicians haven't even seen a 10 string bass before, let alone played or owned one.
Soundcloud
Quote by Kear Bear
well no i thought for the 8 string it'd be cool to have all those extra high notes for some wierd sounding things, the chord voicings would also be phenomenal!

and giving the bassist a chapman stick, he'd have more of a roll like a piano player, as well as the bassist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SldDtVpTcA

9 string guitar.

Quote by AlanHB
Experimentation comes with all instruments, but if this particular setup works for you go for it. I wouldn't hold your breath for the 10 string bass but meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qARdE08p0A&feature=related

11-string bass. There's actually a lot of ERG's out there, I was very surprised.

To be honest, this just seems like a useless idea. Just learn some songs, and make some songs. To give you a heads up and background to this response, I'm a 6-string guitarist (soon to be 8; tuned to CGDFAE) who will be in a band with a 6 string bassist tuned to BEADGC and maybe a 7 string guitarist tuned to (most likely) Drop A. It's not about the instruments/tunings, it's about the notes and knowing your instrument.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at May 23, 2011,
Quote by DiminishedFifth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qARdE08p0A&feature=related

11-string bass. There's actually a lot of ERG's out there, I was very surprised.

Geez, that looks heavy! I just haven't seen one in real life before. There is a bassist around who plays an 8 string bass who's a very accomplished and hard working musician in the area, but that's the only time I see one around.

Quote by DiminishedFifth
To be honest, this just seems like a useless idea. Just learn some songs, and make some songs. To give you a heads up and background to this response, I'm a 6-string guitarist (soon to be 8; tuned to CGDFAE) who will be in a band with a 6 string bassist tuned to BEADGC and maybe a 7 string guitarist tuned to (most likely) Drop A. It's not about the instruments/tunings, it's about the notes and knowing your instrument.

Yeah I'm with you here. There are many musicians who get creative sounds out of their standard instruments, I'm sure you can too TS.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Geez, that looks heavy! I just haven't seen one in real life before. There is a bassist around who plays an 8 string bass who's a very accomplished and hard working musician in the area, but that's the only time I see one around.

To be honest, one of these days I want to get a 9 string guitar (low F# and high A), and an 10 string touchstyle guitar.

Of course, all this is AFTER I have my 8 for quite awhile