I have 3 Guitars with bolt on necks. (2 guitars, 1 bass). None are super high quality. But every single one has gotten hairline cracks on the body right where the neck connects. I take extremely good care of them. I either set them on a stand or in the case when not in use. What is causing them? Will these cracks continue to spread? will they effect tone/playability?

I also have one set neck guitar that is flawless, and it is the second oldest of the 4... are set necks better quality?
Yes, set necks should usually be considered higher quality. They allow better sustain and you'll usually only see them on "better" guitars.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Bodies with bolt-on necks need to have a tight neck pocket otherwise they lose a lot of sustain and they can be knocked out of tune easily. A high-quality bolt on neck join will simply be made very precisely, but a cheaper one will be made roughly and then the screws will simple be tightened too much to compensate for the sloppy neck pocket. That can cause cracks in the finish which get larger over time.

They're not cracks in the wood, don't worry about that. It's just the finish that is cracking. Loosening the neck bolts very slightly may help relieve the pressure but loosen them too much and your sustain will die on its ass. Personally I would just leave it as it is.

And no, set necks are not higher quality than bolt-ons. Neither bolt-ons, set necks or neck-throughs are better than the others, they all have their pros and cons and actually a very well made bolt-on is generally better for tone, sustain and stability than either of the other two.
what about cracks in a set neck? I've got an Epi explorer that's got a hairline crack exactly where they are on bolt ons
Quote by grohl1987
Bodies with bolt-on necks need to have a tight neck pocket otherwise they lose a lot of sustain and they can be knocked out of tune easily. A high-quality bolt on neck join will simply be made very precisely, but a cheaper one will be made roughly and then the screws will simple be tightened too much to compensate for the sloppy neck pocket. That can cause cracks in the finish which get larger over time.

They're not cracks in the wood, don't worry about that. It's just the finish that is cracking. Loosening the neck bolts very slightly may help relieve the pressure but loosen them too much and your sustain will die on its ass. Personally I would just leave it as it is.

And no, set necks are not higher quality than bolt-ons. Neither bolt-ons, set necks or neck-throughs are better than the others, they all have their pros and cons and actually a very well made bolt-on is generally better for tone, sustain and stability than either of the other two.

This.
Quote by grohl1987

+1

And +1 to the cracks in the finish thing, too.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The only real thing that is different between the three are their feel and how easily that can be made good

For example, a low quality neck thru will be much better than a low quality bolt on, but for more expensive models, the neck thru will be just as good or better (especially since the neck can be replaced if damaged) it'll just feel less smooth
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by grohl1987

+1
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
The only difference between bolt-on necks and set necks is that one is easier to fix if broken (I think this speaks for itself how)

But the wood shouldn't crack at all unless you are being pure shitty with them. If you are really worried, get it checked and if it is the wood thats cracked and not the finish then you should look at how you treat/store your guitars.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by nitestick
Yes, set necks should usually be considered higher quality. They allow better sustain and you'll usually only see them on "better" guitars.

Mr. Hufschmid would like a word with you.

http://www.hufschmidguitars.com/8_string_guitars.html
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by Spud Spudly
I see the Fender fans are out in force.
Because Fender are the only company that makes bolt-on guitars. Of course.
Quote by grohl1987
Because Fender are the only company that makes bolt-on guitars. Of course.

i hope this is a joke as i would think you know that most major guitar makers have bolt on models (yes even gibson has had a few over the years)

it's already proven that bolt on necks have as much sustain as the other neck types. a cheap set neck will give you crap results just as much as the cheap bolt ons (and it can't be fixed, at least not for a price that would be worth it).
i havent noticed any problems with my Schecter with is bolt on. Ive also had a Gibson faded V and a Schecter C-7 hellraiser (both set necks). I still preferred the overall feel and tone of the Damien 6. cheap bolt ons will have problems just like cheap set necks like on some Epiphones. Never really had any problems like that out of any of my guitars though
Quote by shecter guy
i havent noticed any problems with my Schecter with is bolt on. Ive also had a Gibson faded V and a Schecter C-7 hellraiser (both set necks). I still preferred the overall feel and tone of the Damien 6. cheap bolt ons will have problems just like cheap set necks like on some Epiphones. Never really had any problems like that out of any of my guitars though

Oh yeah, schecter guy never had any problem with his schecters. haha

Schecters are not garbage, but they really aren't great.

I have seen these same kind of cracks on i guess is the finish on fenders, gibsons, ibanez, charvels, and just about any other kind of guitars.... never on a schect though huh?
Last edited by jsspang at May 23, 2011,
lol im not saying it cant happen, bur mine is an '06 model and its still in near ment condition minus a couple dents. Never had it happen with the Gibson, Epiphone, PRS, Ibanez or Cort guitars ive had either. Maybe im just careful with my equipment :P Reliability is a huge reason im such a fan of Schecters
Quote by monwobobbo
i hope this is a joke as i would think you know that most major guitar makers have bolt on models (yes even gibson has had a few over the years)

it's already proven that bolt on necks have as much sustain as the other neck types. a cheap set neck will give you crap results just as much as the cheap bolt ons (and it can't be fixed, at least not for a price that would be worth it).
It's called sarcasm you blind moron.
Well, this thread degraded into a flame war fast...
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by nitestick

Sorry but your entire text is based on stereotypes, you dont even think when speaking or you are trolling

Also try telling Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Kirk Hammett, Yngwie Malmsteen, MAB, Eddie Van Hallen, Jimmy Hendrix etc that bolt-on guitars have poor sustain...

Your statement makes so much sens that the day your set neck will be dammaged lets say during a tour, the very first thing you will do will be to go and cry at a luthiers front door to only realise that the repair will be almost impossible or extremely expensive.

Do you really think that builders like Blackmachine or Hufschmid would waist their time building bolt-on necks if the sustain would not be there?

Also when you say bolt-on... Do you actually realise that there are several ways to bolt-on guitar necks? Your statement puts everything into the same basket....

You have the uncomfortable fender way then you have the improved fender (Ibanez Jem), then you have the comfortable and thin one, just like Hufschmid does for exemple:

Pics he posted yesterday on his facebook page:

(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)

Quote by stoo666
what about cracks in a set neck? I've got an Epi explorer that's got a hairline crack exactly where they are on bolt ons

Are you taking proper care of your instruments?
Check this out its very interesting and informative...

http://www.hufschmidguitars.com/details.html
Last edited by 8stringlover at May 24, 2011,
Quote by nitestick

Epi LP Special 2s are set necks. Find me a person who thinks they are even remotely good.