So this is probably an odd request for an acoustic. But anyways.

So I'm looking for an acoustic-electric guitar that has good tone unplugged and plugged in but the overall volume/projection isn't very loud compared to say a jumbo or dreadnought acoustic.
Price range $200-500(maybe $600)

If you're wondering why... it's because the volume of my voice is just a little to low for my current guitar(dreadnought style) while it is unplugged and I know not to far from now I'll be playing a few shows that I won't be plugged in at. (Yeah I know, "Why don't you get better at singing?" But if I were to be belting an entire song it probably would take away the vibe and emotion in the song)

Thanks
If you don't mind using electric pickups, you could always use a semi hollow or something like that that still has a dreadnaught type construction, but with a smaller cavity.
Quote by Warrior47
If you don't mind using electric pickups, you could always use a semi hollow or something like that that still has a dreadnaught type construction, but with a smaller cavity.

Well I'd still like an acoustic guitar sound and I was thinking more towards the folk/concert style? Cause a semi-hollow I can tell you right now is way to low for my voice.

(Thanks though )
folk/concert style should work for sure. Maybe a Guild GADM20, or a used Martin 00-15/000-15. Vintage Gibson LG-0s work well for this application too and can easily be found for $400-600. All these guitars mentioned are all mahogany, so they should be very warm and woody without being too bright or brash.

A big baby taylor or Martin LXM should work too I guess, but I have no experience with these, so take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Quote by ilikeguitar90
folk/concert style should work for sure. Maybe a Guild GADM20, or a used Martin 00-15/000-15. Vintage Gibson LG-0s work well for this application too and can easily be found for $400-600. All these guitars mentioned are all mahogany, so they should be very warm and woody without being too bright or brash.

A big baby taylor or Martin LXM should work too I guess, but I have no experience with these, so take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck

Thanks again! I'm really interested in that Guild, and I'm looking for one used now. But remember acoustic-electric please
Last edited by bassplayer4444 at May 22, 2011,
Quote by bassplayer4444
Thanks again! But remember acoustic-electric please

Oh my bad, I overlooked that detail . The Breedlove passport OM would be a good choice I think. Is mahogany, has electronics and is a 000 body. Very nice guitar.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Quote by ilikeguitar90
Oh my bad, I overlooked that detail . The Breedlove passport OM would be a good choice I think. Is mahogany, has electronics and is a 000 body. Very nice guitar.

Thanks again for the suggestion
So far I'm digging it, but just curious know of any acoustic-electrics similar to that one but have a cutaway also( sorry I'm being so pickyD: )

And thanks
Quote by bassplayer4444
Thanks again for the suggestion
So far I'm digging it, but just curious know of any acoustic-electrics similar to that one but have a cutaway also( sorry I'm being so pickyD: )

And thanks

Check out my Sonata YSC-50ER I bought for the wife. It's exactly what you are looking for, but I'm not sure if they are even available anymore. Sonata's are only available at H&H Music if you have one of them near you.

Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
the guild GAD-m20 and its brother, the GAD-f20 aren't as loud as dreads, but they are bright guitars so they might conflict with your voice. they are beautifully made, btw, absolutely gorgeous guitars.

you might try a fender tim armstrong hellcat. they are shallow and definitely quieter than a dread, but not too quiet, have a solid mahogany top, and have better tone than a lot of lam b&s guitars.

going with a laminate back and sides dean or ibanez might cost you some tone quality, but they tend to be quieter than other guitars. another shallower guitar is any one from the yamaha apx series. they don't sound as good as the hellcat - more of that cardboardy tone - but a lot of people seem to own them.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!