So, I've had a 5150 combo, and just got an Orange 2x12 PPC212. I want to test this thing out. The Orange is 16 ohms, and I've heard there's an impedance selector on the 5150 combo or something? What and how and where do I switch that so that I don't cause an implosion when I hook the combo up to the Orange cab?

Thanks! I'm a total noob and don't want to ruin good gear.
Set the amp to match the cab so in your case it would be 16 ohms.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Apparently according to the manual the external speaker out should already be 16 ohms.

I think there is a selector on the 5150 combos correct me if i'm wrong but its inside of the amp which is a pain and a stupid design decision.

Anyway i'd wait till someone who has had first hand experience with this can chime in.
Quote by fixationdarknes
So, I've had a 5150 combo, and just got an Orange 2x12 PPC212. I want to test this thing out. The Orange is 16 ohms, and I've heard there's an impedance selector on the 5150 combo or something? What and how and where do I switch that so that I don't cause an implosion when I hook the combo up to the Orange cab?

Thanks! I'm a total noob and don't want to ruin good gear.

i looked into this and heard from a peavey rep that "if you plug in the 2x12 to the 5150 the amp automatically becomes 8 ohm because it's now driving 4 speakers" pluggin in the cab your combo will automatically switch to 8 ohms. you should plug in only an 16 ohm cab to do this.

there is a myth that half ohms = half power and that doing this to your 5150 makes it into a 30watt amp. this isnt true

if you want your 5150 to stay 16 ohm total, then open the closed back, dissconnect the pins that attach the sheffields. then connect the external cab. your amp will now continue to run at 16 ohm as usual.

the switch to 8 ohm is auto, when you plug in a 16 ohm cab with the internal speakers and therefor drive 4 speakers (srs)

hope i halped fixation
As a serious professional technician with 3 degrees and a doctorate in electronics, I think the only possible solution is that you send me your Orange cab since it will never work with your 5150. Only solution, man.

But honestly, the original internal speaker jack is 16 ohms and the one you see on the back labeled 'External 'Speaker' is also 16 ohms, provided the original speakers are still connected. If you disconnect the internal speakers, the 'External Speaker' jack has a rating oh 8 ohms.

Pretty sure this is 100% correct, as I had a tech check this last time I got my tubes replaced in my 5150.
I'm assuming you can remove the back of the 5150 and check the speakers. See if they're wired in 16 ohms (google it to see how the wiring harness should look), since the Sheffields in there are usually 8 ohms each.

I'd say if you keep your original speakers connected and connect the Orange to the Ext Speaker, you'll be fine. Same goes if you disconnect the internal speakers and connect the Orange to the Internal jack.
Quote by polishedbullet

But honestly, the original internal speaker jack is 16 ohms and the one you see on the back labeled 'External 'Speaker' is also 16 ohms, provided the original speakers are still connected. If you disconnect the internal speakers, the 'External Speaker' jack has a rating oh 8 ohms.

^
this

connect internal speakers jack to your orange for 16 ohm

the sheffields are to 8 ohms wired in series
So then is the consensus that the safest option is to disconnect the Sheffields first and then connect the Orange?

Thanks. Sorry I'm such a noob at this stuff. I promise you I know how to play guitar, I just am a wimp when it comes to anything electrical or hands-on
You don't have to disconnect anything. Just plug the cab into the external jack.