Hey guys, so I'm going to start recording instrumental music, kind of like Jeff Loomis type music.

So I only own a guitar(5 of em) (no drums, bass, ect), but I have about $400-600.

So i was thinking about using this stuff to make my music

EzDrummer Drumkit from Hell
Line 6 UX2 with POD farm.

What else would I need? I believe I need something to put the tracks together, I heard about this program called acid, but I don't know much about that.

thanks guys.
What kind of computer do you have? That will help decide what DAW (digital audio workstation) you may need to buy. If you have a Mac, then you already have garageband on there and can go from there, but there are a variety of other programs as well

The UX2 and EZ Drummer are good starts, do you plan on doing any vocals as well?
NOPE
Quote by ShredWithEd
That thread is too confusing!

How so? All of the info you could possibly need to start home recording is there.
All the necessary software is listed.
What are the specifications of your computer?
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Reaper
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by ShredWithEd
2.13ghz
1022mb ram

Upgrade this shit. You're gonna want 4gb ram minimum for recording. Also, upgrade your processor to a dual or quad core
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
and go with Win 7 - Vista was terrible.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
It's unfortunately a necessity to get anything decent out of it. I don't know about EZ Drummer, but whenever I have Superior Drummer 2.0 running, its taking up nearly 1 GB of RAM, and that's before taking into account any of the other tasks and processes the computer is currently involved in
NOPE
My Mac only has 2GB of RAM and I've never had any issues... then again, I don't run bloatware like EZDrummer when I can do the same with Piano Roll and a few samples. I think you'd be surprised how little RAM you need when you keep your machine well-maintained and don't hog it with crap you can do without - I wouldn't go any lower than 2GB though, to be fair.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at May 23, 2011,
ShredWithEd - you can totally make that computer work.

My band recorded our album on a similar or lesser machine. It was a 1.7 Ghz Celeron PC with about a gig of RAM. Each song was upwards to 36 tracks of 24-bit audio, with effects as appropriate.

What you need to do first.... roll back to WinXP. It is still a great operating system, and is far less of a resource hog for that particular machine.

As long as you're just using basic audio tracks not using a lot of virtual instruments, you should be fine.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'd Suggest:

Reaper I had acid for a few years before switching to Reaper it was ok but I've found that reaper just has more features that are better plus its cheaper.

A used bass idk if they have a music go round where your located, but, you could check out similar stores or even buy online from them, you can pick up a decent bass for around $100 I got a 5 string squier jazz bass for about $150 and it sounds amazing on recordings.

Recording can be done with your setup I've recorded on far worse computers with decent results, I think getting an external hard drive would help and deleting anything you dont absolutely need would help too.

If you want to upgrade your computer you could always just upgrade the tower you can get a Dell desktop at walmart with adequate specs for like $350 I've been recording on these and HP laptops for years
REAPER and an ASIO device. Tascam US-122/US-144 will capture if you have some sort of digital processor or a line-out from your amp, if not a POD also works. REAPER is free (shareware, but you can DL and use it for free) and you should be good with that.
Quote by axemanchris
ShredWithEd - you can totally make that computer work.

My band recorded our album on a similar or lesser machine. It was a 1.7 Ghz Celeron PC with about a gig of RAM. Each song was upwards to 36 tracks of 24-bit audio, with effects as appropriate.

What you need to do first.... roll back to WinXP. It is still a great operating system, and is far less of a resource hog for that particular machine.

As long as you're just using basic audio tracks not using a lot of virtual instruments, you should be fine.

CT

this

also if you need to run virtual instruments make sure your pc can run just the instrument by itself with nothing else in the daw, write out the instruments parts and mix those down to high quality wave samples and import those into your session. it takes a little extra time but will save a lot of cpu (and it might be impossible any other way)
I'm running a 2.2ghz intel with "two cores" and 2.0GB RAM and vista (ftl). It performs resonably well, and pretty well if I close out everything else.
Lefties Unite!
Also, to those saying "vista sux!!11..." you're idiots. Vista and Win7 are essentially one in the same, and you won't have any issues with either. For those about to argue that it "uses more memory than XP," learn how vista manages memory before playing it off as a resource hog.
^ vista DOES use more memory then Xp that's a fact.
However the argument is also relative, if he has an old computer from when vista first rolled out thats technically only spec'd to run Xp he's going to have problems running some software it's not impossible but it'll be slow, if he has a later computer then the specs are more inline with what he needs to run vista but Win 7 is still better heck for the era it was designed for Xp is still better then vista I run the IT dept. at work and have computers running all 3 Os' and the computer running vista is significantly slower then the other 2
Quote by DanteJayG
^ vista DOES use more memory then Xp that's a fact.
However the argument is also relative, if he has an old computer from when vista first rolled out thats technically only spec'd to run Xp he's going to have problems running some software it's not impossible but it'll be slow, if he has a later computer then the specs are more inline with what he needs to run vista but Win 7 is still better heck for the era it was designed for Xp is still better then vista I run the IT dept. at work and have computers running all 3 Os' and the computer running vista is significantly slower then the other 2

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/09/why-does-vista-use-all-my-memory.html

[/off topic]
Then how do you explain this? (from the Microsoft Website)

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:
Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)

Windows Vista Home Basic
800-megahertz (MHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 800-MHz 64-bit (x64) processor
512 megabytes (MB) of system memory
Note On system configurations that use system memory as graphics memory, at least 448 MB of system memory must be available to the operating system after some memory is allocated for graphics.

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

I mean, if Vista and 7 weren't more resource-intensive than XP, shouldn't *they* run on a 300mhz machine with 128MB of RAM?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I think the bottom line is that anything is possible depending on how creative you are.
Can he record on a vista equipped computer? absolutely, heck the first computer I was given was a 1996/7 Hp with win 95 and I recorded on that until 2005!
I prefer win 7 nowadays for recording as I just think its a nice blend of Xp it's faster and seems to give me less problems but it has some of the nicer looking interfaces etc that vista had.
Quote by axemanchris
Then how do you explain this? (from the Microsoft Website)

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:
Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)

Windows Vista Home Basic
800-megahertz (MHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 800-MHz 64-bit (x64) processor
512 megabytes (MB) of system memory
Note On system configurations that use system memory as graphics memory, at least 448 MB of system memory must be available to the operating system after some memory is allocated for graphics.

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

I mean, if Vista and 7 weren't more resource-intensive than XP, shouldn't *they* run on a 300mhz machine with 128MB of RAM?

CT

OP's computer has a 2.13GHz processor and 1GB ram (also, GHz is a worthless measurement, but people just like to have numbers to compare in a pissing contest sort of manner, see the speed difference between old A64s @ 2GHz and a Pentium 4 at 3.6, the A64 smokes it).
Make sure you meet the minimum hardware requirements when installing any operating system.

Dont just upgrade your aging XP machine to Vista or 7 and expect it to run really fast.

Apart from the look of the interface, Vista and Win 7 are pretty different beasts. Win7 has a bunch of good things going on under the hood that Vista doesnt. If you're an XP user thinking of upgrading, skip Vista and go to 7
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.