I bought a gibson blueshawk on ebay, and as awesome as it is, the guy who i bought it from neglected to inform me that he was a CONSTANT chainsmoker for the 15 years that he owned it. It's so bad that the binding has actually become a golden yellow (although i must admit it is fairly cool looking.) How can i get the smoke/nicotine residue off the finish without damaging it? I already tried regular polish, and it wasn't effective at all.
It is just a part of the guitar now
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
well its not the yellowness that i want to get rid of, its more the layer of grime on the outside.
I think Robbgnarly may be right here... but if it looks good, then keep it! more character to the guitar. If you really don't like it and desperately feel the need to have it looking stock, talk to a local luthier or someone like it.
use some alcohol and gently buff it out, that will remove most ov the grime.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Put some nicotine patches on top of it, and all shall be fine.
id try first with a guitar polish...and use lemon oil if its a rosewood neck
Make it go cold turkey, or get it some gum.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Not a whole lot you can do about it i'm afraid.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
You can't do anything about it other than having the guitar refinished. Gibson guitars use a nitro finish which absorbs pretty much everything that comes into contact with it, be it smoke, sweat, skin, oils, you name it. It makes nitro finishes easy to repair since you can spray more nitro over it and it kind of melts into itself providing an easy, smooth finish, but once it's stained it's stained for good. You can't clean up nitro finishes. You can repair them if they're chipped or scratched and you can refinish them entirely, but you can't clean them. Stains are permanent.
Try lighter fluid maybe... Not on any wood that isn't sealed or on the fretboard though. Should take off any grim thats on the finish but if the finish is just discolored thats a different story.
Gear:
Gretsch Electromatic
"Partocaster" H-S-P90
Schecter Omen6 – Seymour Duncan '59 & JB
Fender Blues Jr.
92 MIM Fender Jazz Bass
Ovation Celebrity
Tempo classical
Martin D-28

Check out my guitar blog Electric String Cheese
Last edited by rcurcio at May 23, 2011,
why didnt anyone suggest KEROSENE. NOT GASOLINE, kerosene. however I would be extremely careful not to get it in the electronics
Quote by rcurcio
Try lighter fluid maybe... Not on any wood that isn't sealed or on the fretboard though. Should take off any grim thats on the finish but if the finish is just discolored thats a different story.
Quote by jsspang
why didnt anyone suggest KEROSENE. NOT GASOLINE, kerosene. however I would be extremely careful not to get it in the electronics

Both of these will stain, and even strip, the finish even more.
Quote by grohl1987

Naphtha aka lighter fluid is sold by stewmac as a cleaner. Link I mean i'm not saying I would let the guitar soak in lighter fluid but a little on a rag to whip down the guitar it seems should be fine.

Either way though it sounds like the guitar is probably stained and the naphtha wouldn't help too much.

Maybe just accept the color. It adds character haha
Gear:
Gretsch Electromatic
"Partocaster" H-S-P90
Schecter Omen6 – Seymour Duncan '59 & JB
Fender Blues Jr.
92 MIM Fender Jazz Bass
Ovation Celebrity
Tempo classical
Martin D-28

Check out my guitar blog Electric String Cheese
Last edited by rcurcio at May 23, 2011,
Quote by grohl1987

You have been misinformed... kerosene will NOT. Gasoline will.
Quote by rcurcio
Naphtha aka lighter fluid is sold by stewmac as a cleaner. Link I mean i'm not saying I would let the guitar soak in lighter fluid but a little on a rag to whip down the guitar it seems should be fine.

Same with kerosene
Quote by rcurcio
Quote by jsspang
You have been misinformed... kerosene will NOT. Gasoline will.
They work fine for POLY finishes. Not for old Gibson nitro finishes.

Quote by CannedBullets
Lemon oil?

That's for conditioning raw wood, it's not a cleaning product.
Quote by jsspang
Same with kerosene

I wouldn't ptu kerosene within 10 miles of my guitar, it's just a bad idea.

I would just try some Pledge, it works great on cleaning grim of any kind of wood finish. But don't use it on any unfinished wood like the fretboard, instead, get a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser(yeah I know, but it works great) wet it, and scrub the fretboard down, then dry it with a towel, then recondition the fretboard with lemon oil or fretboard conditioner, should remove ALL of the dirt in the fretboard, cause it also strips out all of the oils, which is why you need to condition it right after you wipe it down.
Quote by Novationband
I bought a gibson blueshawk on ebay, and as awesome as it is, the guy who i bought it from neglected to inform me that he was a CONSTANT chainsmoker for the 15 years that he owned it. It's so bad that the binding has actually become a golden yellow (although i must admit it is fairly cool looking.) How can i get the smoke/nicotine residue off the finish without damaging it? I already tried regular polish, and it wasn't effective at all.

You should file a fraud report with Paypal, get your money back, and send the asshole the guitar back. He screwed you and there's no reason to not dish it back in spades.
Quote by jpnyc
You should file a fraud report with Paypal, get your money back, and send the asshole the guitar back. He screwed you and there's no reason to not dish it back in spades.

... You are a fool.

Fraud? For what? A nicotine stained guitar with a coat of filth?

Remind me to never sell you a thing.

TS, by the looks of things you either A) Send the guitar to a repairs expert who may be able to refinish the guitar.

B) Start scrubbing.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
I always used windex to get that thick smoke stain off guitars,cuts right through it. Last guitar I bought had a very thick smoke film on it. I grabbed some cloth baby diapers,super soft and great for finishes. Get the rag moist and start scrubbing. Then some guitar polish after that...

Turned out OK I think for an old beater covered in cigarette muck
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
I'm not 100% sure about this so check with others but my first step would be the usual polishes - Gibson Pump Polish etc.

Next port of call would be lighter fluid (naptha) which I've heard is good at getting off grime and then some Zymol car wax. I'd probably try the lighter fluid first as Zymol, even though it is a scratch and swirl remover should go on a clean surface.

Maybe a small bit of dampness and elbow grease?

I'm just thinking that putting too many products on top may 'set-in' some of the cack.
Standard for heavy cleaning on a nitro finish is naptha, but be damn careful!

I've heard Windex works, but haven't tried it. Spray it on the cloth, not the instrument!
Quote by jpnyc

I believe you misread...I really do love the guitar, and I can certainly live with the stuff, its just that i would at least like to try to get the grime off the outside haha. And to the dude who told me to quit smoking...I don't think you even read the post. BUT. I realized that i think the grime may not be cigarette residue/sweat, but actually some kind of wax or furniture polish with the regular grime underneath it, which is why it has been resistant to damn near everything i've tried. But it's a great guitar, I'm not gonna get rid of it.