I am strongly contemplating buying one of these. But i am also looking at the Blackstar ht club 40, which seems to get better reviews. How do these play? How is the distortion? What about the Blackstar in comparison to it? Help!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Electro Harmonix Pocket Metal Muff
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Ratt 'N Roll FOREVER!!!!!!
Last edited by twistedsista521 at May 22, 2011,
The Marshall tends to sound kind of fizzy. The Blackstar is what the Marshall tries to be - its sound is a lot more even and you can add a lot more gain without it fizzing out. If you think we should all bow down to Randy Rhoads you will probably prefer the Blackstar.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Alright sweet. Would you compare the blackstar to marshalls back in their heyday?
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Basically, the Blackstar HT series is the Blackstar HT Distortion pedals integrated into an amp circuit. It's a normal tube amp, but it uses some solid state parts to give it "pre-gain" on the overdrive channel. This does 2 things.

1. It makes it really versatile and have great bang for the buck.

2. It makes tube amp snobs shit their pants every time someone mentions the amp being a "tube amp."

I've played both amps. Well...technically I've played the HT-20 and HT-60 and they both sound miles ahead of the Marshall MA series tonally, imo. I'm planning on picking up an HT-20 soon probably.

The HT cleans (aside from the HT-5) are particularly good sounding considering how much gain the amp is capable of. You can easily pull off a thrash or classic metal tone without even using an OD pedal, yet the clean channel still stays clean and "Fenderish."

Check these out

Clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MOXCh5qOds (it's the HT-20, but they are voiced pretty similarly)

Overdrive: there are tons of videos with overdrive...too lazy to find any specific ones.

Point is, if you were to have to choose between those two amps, the Blackstar is the best choice hands down. I highly recommend it.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Is it good for 80s hair metal like dokken or van halen to classic rock like zeppelin and ACDC all the way to RHCP????
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40