Page 1 of 2
Looking at these "SG/Strat/etc. users unite" made me wonder about how many people change the parts on their guitars. I own 4 electric guitars and not one of them contains all the original parts. Either the neck and or pickups have been swapped on all of them. Hence I've got a Strat that's become a Telestrat, a Bullet with Strat pickups, Les Paul with Seymour Duncan, a Kramer with Strat pickup. How many of you guys swap parts on your axes?
My main guitar (Gibson ES-137C) is completely stock. I like everything about it and don't find anything that needs changing. Gibson Custom Shop is good stuff.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Usually take away tone pots on all of my superstrats, change pickups sometimes, add locking tuners.
My Gibson SG is all stock.
Epi SG - locking tuners, Dimarzio bridge pickup
Ibanez - all stock . . . for now
Fender Double Fat Strat - Seymour-Duncan SH4 bridge pickup
Both my LP and dot are stock and play great.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
Both my guitars are completely stock, I can't see the point in changing out anything on my Brian May and I can't justify the cost of bothering to upgrade my Squier
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay
Fryer Treble Booster Deluxe
i change a lot of parts because i like to keep multiple cheapish guitars. when i owned 1 nicer guitar like a gibson explorer, i loved all the stock parts.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
All of my guitars are completely stock, although only one of the is really good. My main one (the only "really good one") is a Schecter Diamond Series Elite 003 and it's discontinued since 2006, so I bought it used in December 2010. I recall looking at a picture of it on the official Schecter site and I think the pickups in the picture were different. If they are different though, that's the only thing out of the 5 guitars I own.
Gibson SG Standard: Different Tuners, bigsby tailpiece, different knobs, soon to have Wolfetone Marshallhead pickups in it, change all the pots. I love the feel and the sound of this guitar, but I like changing it, keeps it fun.
Gibson ES-137c: Everything is original, i think Gibson got these right... To bad they are being discontinued (i think)
Gibson '54 Goldtop Les Paul VOS: New grover rotomatics, new pickguard screw, knobs, other than that, it is original.

I like changing parts of guitars, makes them original and not like the one hanging in a guitar shop.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

My Epiphone LP-100 is stock because it's not worth upgrading, but my Carvin Bolt is getting a SD SH-4 in the bridge once I get my hands on a soldering gun. I have problems growing attached to guitars that look like they just came off the factory line.
All of my guitars, amps, pedals, and bass are stock. I've yet to find a reason to mod them, especially my upper tier guitars
Music must be honest to be timeless.
i have 1 heavily mod'd and 3 that are bone stock and staying that way.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I own 10 guitars, 1 acoustic, 3 A/Es and 6 electrics. Of them, I had one electric on which I replaced it's 3 pickups with Lace Alumitones (it's a prototype guitar, and the original pickups simply died), one electric had its original 2 pickups replaced with Seymour Duncans by the luthier who made it (per my request), and another electric has had the plastic cover on it's selector switch replaced.

That's the sum total of changes made to my guitars, except for strings.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 22, 2011,
My acoustic is stock.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
If I ever got a Fender Spalted Maple Custom HH Tele, I would never change anything on that guitar, tis perfect the way it is.

But all 3 of my other guitars have had something done to it. My Squier has had about $700 shoved through it in parts( everything but the trem plate , neck, neck plate, neck screws and trem block have been replaced).

Yeah, I know, it's overkill on a Squier, but the thing plays like a dream, for a cheap guitar.
Quote by Helicopters!
My Epiphone LP-100 is stock because it's not worth upgrading, but my Carvin Bolt is getting a SD SH-4 in the bridge once I get my hands on a soldering gun. I have problems growing attached to guitars that look like they just came off the factory line.

I agree, changing the parts personalizes it in a way that picking out the guitar's color can never do.
My PBass is the most modded.
I put a spring from a pen under the treble side of the pickup so it would be adjustable.

That's it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
But all 3 of my other guitars have had something done to it. My Squier has had about $700 shoved through it in parts( everything but the trem plate , neck, neck plate, neck screws and trem block have been replaced).

Yeah, I know, it's overkill on a Squier, but the thing plays like a dream, for a cheap guitar.

Mine are mostly stock for now. Les Paul has a SH-4 waiting to go in and a GraphTech nut, but the VMNT and Tele are all stock. If it ain't broke...

Though I want to do a mirrortop finish on the Tele. Not quite confident enough with a router yet though.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
i tend to go for guitars that are just right to begin with.

upgrades come along somewhere down the line if i feel they are necessary, but at the moment all my gigging guitars are all-original.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
9 out of 12 of my guitars are original.

Bradley: replaced the tuners, bridge, stop tail and knobs.
The original tuners were crap. The bridge and stop tail were pretty well sweat corroded. I changed the knob because I could.

Mustang: replaced the slide switches (corroded) with originals from Fender.
The switches were failing and cleaning them didn't help.

Elite-T: replaced the OP-Pro preamp with a OP-Pro Studio
The original preamp was great, but I wanted more versatility.

All the rest are as I bought them.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at May 23, 2011,
I kind of try to go for guitars that can cover everything I need. My Gibson can do the heaviest rhythm chugging and some sweet, thick leads; my Ibanez can shred all day long - then go straight into some BEAUTIFUL blues tones...unless something goes horribly wrong (and this is generally speaking to everyone) whats the point in modding a perfectly fine and very well made guitar?
Music must be honest to be timeless.

I do.

But I buy guitars with good enough hardware not to need replacing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I like upgrading and messing with them so none of my guitars are stock, aside from my classical

My Schecter's now got PRS Dragon IIs and new pots, the nut, tuners and bridge are getting replaced when I have the spare funds
My PRS has a blocked trem and BKP Nailbombs, considering putting a Graphtech Ghost system into it when I have the money
My acoustic has had the saddle sanded down to sort the action
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
All of my guitars are completely stock. I have no reason to change anything on them.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
57 Custom Shop Strat- STOCK
25/50 Les Paul- STOCK
1979 Strat- STOCK
2005 Explorer- swapped the hot pickups out for classic 57's

only other changes are Straplocks on em all
Quote by 1nten5e
57 Custom Shop Strat- STOCK
25/50 Les Paul- STOCK
1979 Strat- STOCK
2005 Explorer- swapped the hot pickups out for classic 57's

only other changes are Straplocks on em all

if straplocks count?

i have 3 mod'd and one stock.

not sure on the straplocks counting as a mod. can we get clarification on that?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
My ibanez RS is completly stock, besides some new knobs. My custom tele is....stock and so are everything else.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
i don't think straplocks count as a mod

i only put straplocks on my LTD
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by VforFailure
All of my guitars are 100% stock and I love them, esp. the Les Paul

This...although I prefer my strat over my les paul
My Acoustic is stock and that's it. Although my only mods have been pickups and extra tone controls.

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
I have a Strat that I have changed the pups to Texas Specials, I have a Les Paul that is all original, and another Strat that is all original, I play the Strat that is all original the most, then the Les Paul, the Texas Special Strat is purely a live backup guitar.
My Epi J200 is stock too, but I want to get a slightly raised saddle for it eventually, because the action is a little too low for my liking.
Last edited by TrueBlues at May 23, 2011,
my 88 Strat Plus deluxe is all original. of course it has Lace Sensor pups and locking tuners as stock items.
Page 1 of 2