So another one of these get together with other people who are similar sort of to you...

So what suprising results have you gotten using your gear? For example, I use a Twin Reverb with a Jekyll and Hyde and get a pretty decent tone for "Given Up" by Linkin Park.

Fire away!
I can actually get a very good tone for anything out of my home rig of a boss me-20 and a roland cube 30x
Slappa tha bass
i get a good tone for everything from my line6, suck on that bitch
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Quote by 100%

I bow to you
If i hook up pmy tuner to my amp I could use ut as a mic

n btw roland cubes kick ass
Quote by 100%

Yeah I somehow managed to get a good tone out of my spider 3 after months and months of messing with it.
Quote by Phazon
Yeah I somehow managed to get a good tone out of my spider 3 after months and months of messing with it.

I absolutely love my spider 3 too!
Quote by DeadlySurfer
r "Given Up" by Linkin Park.

Linkin Park ftw! Lol Given Up is just alot of distortion, nothing special.

But, I managed to get a classic britrock distortion from my Spider iv 15 watt(sold it though )
I can get a better sound from my new amp though
I can get a great stoner rock tone with my Russian big muff and twin reverb. (QOTSA)
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

I can get a sound that doesn't make me want to kill myself...out of my MG15, I win.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
i use an acoustic guitar without a D string on it. it fell of the stand and the tuning key snapped off, but its made me use more interesting chord shapes so im not gonna fix it lol
I can get the perfect "American Woman" tone out of my acoustic guitar through a distortion pedal in my Raven amp.
Matthew 6:33

Uniting the World, One Bridge at a Time.
Quote by JKHC
Linkin Park ftw! Lol Given Up is just alot of distortion, nothing special.

Dude, I'm using a Twin Reverb, the amp most people say can't do metal/hard rock, hence why it's an achievement
I can djent with a 30 year-old classical guitar with a tack-on 15$ pickup, statoscope-like.

Just hook it up to a Line6 DM-4, boost the gain and djent away! Just don't touch the top of the guitar, or it feedbacks like hell.
"...But dignity is difficult to maintain,
stamina requires constant upkeep,
repetition is boring
and you pay for grace."
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Dude, I'm using a Twin Reverb, the amp most people say can't do metal/hard rock, hence why it's an achievement

Ahhh...good point. I have never played an actual twin reverb but my mustang iii has that amp model. I know it wont be exactly(or close to) the real thing but...you are right...the amp model can't take any distortion well. 4 pedals and built in distortion...nothing makes it sound good!!!!

P.S: Thats why I never use it
Quote by JKHC
Ahhh...good point. I have never played an actual twin reverb but my mustang iii has that amp model. I know it wont be exactly(or close to) the real thing but...you are right...the amp model can't take any distortion well. 4 pedals and built in distortion...nothing makes it sound good!!!!

P.S: Thats why I never use it

The Twins do take pedals very well indeed, or at least in my experience they do. My thing was they don't do metal very well, as it's open back etc and not designed for metal at all. Plus using pedals for a deep bassy metal sound usually doesn't work
Quote by DeadlySurfer
The Twins do take pedals very well indeed, or at least in my experience they do. My thing was they don't do metal very well, as it's open back etc and not designed for metal at all. Plus using pedals for a deep bassy metal sound usually doesn't work

Well, I was using a built in amp model so I couldnt tell. It just sounds bad so I don't use it for distortion or cleans. The '65 Deluxe...now thats a different story
Quote by 100%

shame that your doctor declared you tone deaf . proof or it didn't happen.
I can get pretty much any classic rock/ early metal sound with just my Les Paul straight into my Marshall. No pedals at all. Takes quite a bit of tweaking obviously but I've had Zeppelin, AC/DC, it absolutely nails Guns 'N Roses as hard as you can, Sabbath, Queen, Dire Straits, Bon Jovi you name it.
A Fender Frontman 15 with scooped mids= Pantera

Which is a bad thing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 23, 2011,
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I can get pretty much any classic rock/ early metal sound with just my Les Paul straight into my Marshall. No pedals at all. Takes quite a bit of tweaking obviously but I've had Zeppelin, AC/DC, it absolutely nails Guns 'N Roses as hard as you can, Sabbath, Queen, Dire Straits, Bon Jovi you name it.

I'd expect that though? The bands you named, Marshall and Gibson are pretty much what they used.

If you got the same result using a Tele and a Vox AC15, fair enough.
Quote by 100%

Me too. I managed to get a pretty nice hard rock/metal tone out of my Pod Farm (Bare in mind I don't have the Metal Shop add on or any add ons, it's all bare bones). Suck on that! (insert trollface here)

OT: I put this cheap Ibanez distortion pedal in front of one of the higher gain channels on my Vox ad15vt (BTW, the distortions are crap on this thing, so bad I'm selling it. Cleans are nice, though) and it sounded quite nice. Not sure if it's really all that taboo but two pieces of cheap gear coming as once decent tone is good enough for me.
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."
All-plywood Epiphone flat top with bolt-on neck = remarkably good sound

Steve Vai Jemini Distortion (red channel) + Crate V50-212 (cheap attempt at JTM-45 clone) = perfect Blink-182 rhythm tone?
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by DeadlySurfer
I'd expect that though? The bands you named, Marshall and Gibson are pretty much what they used.

If you got the same result using a Tele and a Vox AC15, fair enough.

Ssh you!
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Ssh you!

Everything's pretty cool so far guys, nice to see unconventional ways of doing stuff
Quote by 100%

Me too.

And I'm talkin about an Ux1, and not a real amp. (POD Farm POWER!!!)
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Last edited by NHECOS at May 24, 2011,
I got amazing lead tones out of a starterpack amp with no pedals. Then my friend came in and ruined it for me by absentmindedly twiddling the knobs.
Also a pretty sweet low-gain sound out of a Vox Amplug Lead.

The best tones were created by pushing an instrument or amplifier out of its comfort zone. Unfortunately that's also how you create the worst tones.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Things that shouldn't work but do?

My MIM Stratocaster's Tremolo.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
That I can get metal lead tones out of a 40 year old no-name pickup that is rusted into place on my guitar haha
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1