sorry for the re-hash
can an 8-ohm speaker be safely plugged into the 4-ohm speaker-out jack?
or is that bad?
Bad.

4 can be plugged into 8, and 8 can be plugged into 16 safely, but you cannot mismatch greater impedance. You can destroy major components in your amplifer, especially if it's a tube amp. Also make sure the wattage of the head is the same or lower than the wattage of the cab.

It's really always best to just match the impedances.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at May 22, 2011,
^ which is exactly what the TS is doing: a 4 ohm output into an 8 ohm load.

Should be fine.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Bad.

4 can be plugged into 8, and 8 can be plugged into 16 safely, but you cannot mismatch greater impedance. You can destroy major components in your amplifer, especially if it's a tube amp. Also make sure the wattage of the head is the same or lower than the wattage of the cab.

It's really always best to just match the impedances.

You've got that backwards, plugging a lower impedance cab into a higher impedance output is when things tend to go bang. You shouldn't really mismatch the impedances at all but using a higher impedance cab is the safest mismatch.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You've got that backwards, plugging a lower impedance cab into a higher impedance output is when things tend to go bang. You shouldn't really mismatch the impedances at all but using a higher impedance cab is the safest mismatch.

That is what I meant to say, unless I typed it wrong. Cab should always have a higher or same impedance than the head or else fireworks will occur. Though it sounds better to just match impedances exactly.