so im considering buying a telecaster copy from guitar fetish and im wondering if its possible to put a couple humbuckers on this specific type of tele(mostly worried about the bridge pup and the metal plate around it)? im pretty sure id have to do some routing and for sure some rewiring and add pup selector. so anything else id have to consider? i just want to know exactly what id have to do before i buy it.

thanks.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-XV-820-Vintage-Style-Sienna-Sunburst-Rosewood-Fingerboard_p_1139.html#
you could put a stacked single coil where the bridge single coil is now, which would save you some time and work. But if you wanted to swap for full size humbuckers you'd need to get a new baseplate (metal plate around the bridge pickup) and a new pickguard to accommodate for the neck humbucker (or just cut the old one)

The pickup selector thats on the guitar now should work fine, no real need to replace it. The only re-wiring would be removing the old pickups and installing the new ones
i completely forgot about stacked humbuckers ill look into that option. thanks.
Hypothetically you could get this:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/350369359131?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

You'd have to mod the pick guard a bit. I recommend getting someone with a lot of experience fabricating pick guards to do it for you, or maybe get one custom made.

And of course, you'll need to route the guitar itself for the 'bucker. Only worth doing if you want a project. It would be a cool project, tho....
Oh, yeah, you might want to replace the pots with 500k if it has 250k right now.
I'd go with the first one. And bonus, it's $10 cheaper than that e-bay special I pointed you to. That might buy you a router bit.
Might not need to switch the pots. My SSS Squier came w/500k pots. I had to switch them anyway 'cause I used a Fender S-1 switch vol pot for the neck, used a higher quality 500k pot for the bridge, and used a concentric pot (off a Fender Bass) for the tone controls.

I don't know what Xavier uses in their Teles, or whether you'd want to replace them with an upgrade. Lots of times cheap pots are scratchy right away. Also you need to make up your mind whether you want a linear or an audio taper.
I believe guitar fetish also sells a tele bridge plate routed for a humbucker.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
Last edited by CarbonToe at May 23, 2011,
just remember that your typical tele body is routed like this:
(Invalid img)
as opposed to like this:

which you would need for dual humbuckers. you will have to route both the neck and bridge pickup areas. finding the pickguard and the bridge plate is the easy part.
Quote by jof1029
(Invalid img)
as opposed to like this:

which you would need for dual humbuckers. you will have to route both the neck and bridge pickup areas. finding the pickguard and the bridge plate is the easy part.

Routing's not that hard. You can even do it with a dremel tool. Had to route my Squier to fit the depth of my neck humbucker, but had to dig a lot more wood out of the control cavity to fit the super switch and the S-1 volume pot. Total was about an hour of work.

Also routed a battery compartment in a Schecter for a Sustainiac and had to dig a lot of wood out the side of the control cavity to fit the circuit card. No big deal.

On the tele at least the routing will be covered by the pick guard and the bridge (one good reason to use the telecaster 'bucker bridge instead of the hard-tail strat bridge.

You'll have a lot more to be proud of if you do all this yourself for the big humbuckers instead of going the easy route (pun intended) with the hotrails. And it's not like this routing is going to hurt the value of an expensive guitar or anything like that.
Quote by jof1029
(Invalid img)
as opposed to like this:

yea ive done routing work before and im pretty confident in that area. just i dont really know a whole lot about teles. thanks.
Quote by jetwash69

On the tele at least the routing will be covered by the pick guard and the bridge (one good reason to use the telecaster 'bucker bridge instead of the hard-tail strat bridge.

yea thats why im leaning toward keeping the original style bridge.
as far as bridges go....just cut the original bridge up for a humbucker if you don't wanna wait for shipping and stuff.