We'll anyways I currently own a 5 string bass and wanted to get a 6 but am dissapointed that 6 string bass tend to have a high C when I'd rather have an extra low string so I can tune to F#BEADG. Could a 6 string bass sufficiently tune that low? or would i have to look for a 7?
I leik music
If you buy a set of 5 string strings and one seperate string for the F#, it'll be fine after a set-up
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Wow. You'll have to get something as thick as piano wire to pull that off. You can try it (with one fucking thick bass string), but I've noticed that things get really muddy in that range if you're not pro at EQ'ing

EDIT: Also, most 7-string basses don't add a lower string. Instead of F#BEADGC, they tune BEADGCF from what I know
Last edited by BrandonBeaux at May 22, 2011,
I have never seen a 7-string bass, but I suppose you could have a custom one made. As the other people said, you'll need a fairly thick bass string, and maybe a fretboard adjustment because of the thicker strings.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.

dat low F#

Quote by gquady09
I have never seen a 7-string bass, but I suppose you could have a custom one made. As the other people said, you'll need a fairly thick bass string, and maybe a fretboard adjustment because of the thicker strings.

A quick google search will show you lots.

Fretboard adjustment? I hope you mean neck.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Last edited by gilly_90 at May 22, 2011,
It's a Warwick Dark Lord

Was discontinued a couple of years back.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

@Gilly_90: Yup, I meant neck. Thanks for the correction.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

Quote by BrandonBeaux
What kind of bass is that, BC Rich?

I'm sure if Ben was still a mod that would get a ban.

Warwick still do Dark Lord strings, if that fails then look at Rotosound Drop Zones.
Think if SRV had played bass. I think he'd have something like that set-up.

Theres no point going that low, even Dick Lövgren of Meshuggah doesnt tune down to the low F. I have seen plenty of extended range basses with low F#s and even a couple of low C#s, but believe me they sounded shite.
Quote by mishax92
Theres no point going that low, even Dick Lövgren of Meshuggah doesnt tune down to the low F. I have seen plenty of extended range basses with low F#s and even a couple of low C#s, but believe me they sounded shite.

NO U.

They don't sound like shit if you get the right EQ. I want to tune my future fiver into GCGCF, it adds the bass for the low end br00tz. Lee Foral of After the Burial tunes to the low F (practically 20Hz tone)! I've heard him live, believe me, it can be done.
pinga
Wouldn't it be better to use a octave pedal and use light strings tune up the e to a f#?
not really. while yes you could do this to get the desired note you wouldn't have the heaviness of a normal low F# same reason guitars aren't normally octaved down and used for bass.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by th30nlyAket
Wouldn't it be better to use a octave pedal and use light strings tune up the e to a f#?

My octave pedal doesn't really track well under A1
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by Cb4rabid
NO U.

They don't sound like shit if you get the right EQ. I want to tune my future fiver into GCGCF, it adds the bass for the low end br00tz. Lee Foral of After the Burial tunes to the low F (practically 20Hz tone)! I've heard him live, believe me, it can be done.

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. Brutal is almost never better.

Quote by gquady09
Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. Brutal is almost never better.

A wild opinion appears!
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Yup, that's all it is. I just fail to see the point in tuning that low. The extra work required to properly set up the bass, in my opinion makes it not worth it.

its not any harder of a set up than anyother tuning would be. but I do agree with you. I find my low B to be a bit much some times.
Quote by the_perdestrian
its not any harder of a set up than anyother tuning would be. but I do agree with you. I find my low B to be a bit much some times.

The only reason i don't like going that low is because it makes it easier for some dickhead to mix you out. If I'm in control of the mix, I like going down to A0 sometimes.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

I had my 6'er set to GCGCFA# for quite a while and I personally had no issue with it... I didnt ride the G or anything like that ... but it certainly got used alot for riffs around 12th Fret on the low C and playing 8's and 10's instead of having to use 3's and 5th frets etc.
thats the best part about low strings for me. I dig the tone of a bass higher up on the neck. also if a song stays around the 0-4 frets on the e and a its easier to play on the b and e by the 5-9. i just hate keeping my arm way out there at the end of my neck
Quote by gquady09
Yup, that's all it is. I just fail to see the point in tuning that low. The extra work required to properly set up the bass, in my opinion makes it not worth it.

1. Not any harder to set up than any tuning (thanks perdestrian)

2. Have you ever tried it?

3. I love the low end. The lower the better.
pinga
1. I guess you got me there.

2. Yes, and I hated it.

3. Not much I can say here, except that I disagree.

The usefulness of a bass sound depends on the sound of the rest of the band so its less of "each to their own" and more "each to their guitarists'." Personally I love the sound and feel of drop tuned strings, I often drop standard guage strings down to BDAD, I'd go lower if I had a five string.
You can tune it to whatever you want. Longer scale length will help, but F# is easily doable and sounds frigging brilliant. Depending on your guitar, you may need to widen the nut.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221