I have a Fender Stratocaster and just today noticed there appears to be a hairline fracture in the headstock. I can't tell if it's superficial to the finish, or if it is an actual crack of the wood. There is no room for anything to fit in it and it doesn't move with slight pressure. I've taken pictures of it, because I know anything I say is useless without them:

http://imageshack.us/m/705/9239/guitar1v.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8103/guitar2z.jpg

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/8708/guitar3.jpg

It extends from the high E tuning machine up and around top the top edge of the head, but stops before it gets to the front of the headstock.

Worth worrying about? Just let it go? Begin last rites? Help put my worried mind to ease...

Thanks so much.
If you can't tell by looking at it, I really doubt anyone will be able to properly judge from a picture.

Still, from the looks of them, it looks purely aesthetic. If you're REALLY worried about it, I'd take it up to a guitar shop at the risk of looking dumb if you're overly paranoid.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
actually, I would take it to a guitar tech to simply look at it. its better for them to look at it and tell you what they think the issue is and/or if it needs to be resolved. If you leave it until the finish to crack you might be leaving it too late. nip it at the butt while you can
can you stick you finger nail in it or does it hold your finger nail behind it? if you don't feel it at all its probably just lacquer that has cracked or something. to be sure the local professional does wonders.
Take it in, get it looked at. If need be, get it fixed now.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
I think it's just the finish. But take it to a tech. With cracks, ESPECIALLY on the headstock and neck, it's better to be safe than sorry.
The great thing about it is if it becomes a problem (which I doubt it will) replacing a fender neck is affordable and an easy swap for someone with 0 guitar repair skills. A couple of bolts, move the tuners and trees, gg.

Stay loyal to your strat and it will stay loyal to you.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
For people who read this thread in the future, here's what I found out:

Took it to a guitar tech, it's definitely a crack, and not that uncommon on fender necks. It probably originates at a hole in the neck that the tuning machine for the high E string uses to attach to the neck, and goes from there. It's not separated, so there's nothing to really worry about yet, and if it does start to separate, it's easily glued back to being fixed. It's nothing to worry about, just something to keep an eye on, and if it gets worse, I can take it in and get it glued and it'll be fine.