hey guys,

i recently started my first band about 2 months ago...and although a lot of people say that individually each one of us sounds very good...they add that we need to tighten up our sound and stuff...so for those of you who've been more experienced in the band game...what do you recommend doing to get the 4 of us playing more synchornized?

looking forward to hearing your replies....
practice practice practice. Get to where you can play all of your songs in your sleep with your hands tied behind your backs.

And I know it's not the most enjoyable thing for some guitarists, but listen to each other. Know what everyone else in the band is doing and work off of that. Dont just know your part and try to steal the show with it, remember that you're one part of a whole.
Yep just practice, be critical of your songs, record yourselves and listen to it back to reveal the "real" sound.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
thanks for the swift replies guys...we happen to be a thrash band so a lot of our songs are pretty fast...so do u think its a good idea to maybe play our songs slower in the beginning and play it till we're solid....and keep upping the tempo to where we originally intended to play it.

i guess it might just be a little loose because of us just starting..it probably takes everyone some time to adjust to eachothers feel and speed...
Quote by rayven1lk
thanks for the swift replies guys...we happen to be a thrash band so a lot of our songs are pretty fast...so do u think its a good idea to maybe play our songs slower in the beginning and play it till we're solid....and keep upping the tempo to where we originally intended to play it.

i guess it might just be a little loose because of us just starting..it probably takes everyone some time to adjust to eachothers feel and speed...

It's completely possible that the music is past your skill level if you can't tell whether the sound is tight and clean. Playing them slowly and speeding them up may help sure. As for "adjusting to each other's speed", everyone plays at the same speed at the drums, not sure what you're hinting at otherwise. Is not everyone playing at the same speed? Are you guys playing lots of catch-up?
Soundcloud
if each of you are perfect at playing, then you should be able to tighten up together. everyone should be able to play with the tempo that is presented by the drummer, and should be able to adjust when the signer is not on point.... in otherwords if the drummer is playing slower than hes supposed to, then you should be able to play at his tempo, also if the singer comes in one riff too early, or too late you should know what you can play to cover that up and keep with him or her.

honestly it shouldn't take longer than 5seconds to adjust to the drummers speed if it is different. and you should fallow the singer, he/ she is the leader, not because thye want to be or because someone appointed them the leader, but because the average audience member only pays attention to the singer, and if he's off point they usually blame it on the band in the background.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
@ alan - i doubt its coz of skill level...because i make sure each one of us in the string section can play the riffs and its fine....

@kryptic..our lineup is me on rhythm guitar and vocals, lead guitarist, bassist n drummer...n i make sure theres no mistakes in singing...in that department i've been on point...

i just feel in the band that me and the drummer are probably the tightest combination, the bassist can be pretty sloppy, but i take my time to teach him the songs and the lead guitarst although awesome on lead, may need improvements on his rhythm chops because i always notice him trying to follow me by looking at what i'm playing (probably because hes more familiar with the guitar) rather than listening to the drums...

it would be better though if the drummer had a click track or a metronome while we practice, coz we really haven't been using one...

since this is my first band, i guess i'm a little anxious about sorting this problem out...

thanks for the suggestions and comments though
Quote by rayven1lk
@ alan - i doubt its coz of skill level...because i make sure each one of us in the string section can play the riffs and its fine....

- the bassist can be pretty sloppy

- lead guitarst although awesome on lead, may need improvements on his rhythm

That doesn't sound like you can play it "fine" to me
Soundcloud
wat i mean to say is that its more an issue of each one of our timings rather than the ability to play the riff....
Quote by rayven1lk
wat i mean to say is that its more an issue of each one of our timings rather than the ability to play the riff....

Timing is part of the ability to play the riff.

Especially in metal the timing is more crucial then (knowing) the notes.

I'd rather see a band play Open E chug riffs very tightly, then a band playing crazy melodic patterns that sway in and out of time.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at May 23, 2011,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Timing is part of the ability to play the riff.

Indeed.
Soundcloud
Quote by rayven1lk

Therein lies your problem.

If you are playing at 200 bpm, a 16th note will sound way out of place. What you do with your picking hand becomes much more important in an ensemble

One suggestion is this -- play a song. Match a metronome up to the tempo and write that down -- keep track of your tempo. Now practice individually with a metronome and work out band exercises to LOCK at a tempo and a particular rhythmic phrase -- do not worry about hitting the correct notes as much as staying locked on rhythm.

For example .. practice scale runs over 8th notes, then triplet 8ths, back to 8ths, up to 16ths, back to 8ths all with a click track. Do this at every rehearsal.

I had a jazz guitar teacher who told me "just don't lose rhythm!" So he would throw these lead sheets in front of me, pick a tempo and GO .... If my fingers got tied over some chord change I would mute the strings with my left hand and keep time with my right.
Are you sure your drummer is playing consistently in time? If (s)he has slight fluctuations in tempo, the whole band could be thrown off, putting the group out of synchronization. I hear some drummers play with headphones hooked up to a metronome to keep them in time.
Quote by soviet_ska
I hear some drummers play with headphones hooked up to a metronome to keep them in time.

That.... is a great idea... I must try this and see if i can play the drums...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by rayven1lk
hey guys,

i recently started my first band about 2 months ago...and although a lot of people say that individually each one of us sounds very good...they add that we need to tighten up our sound and stuff...so for those of you who've been more experienced in the band game...what do you recommend doing to get the 4 of us playing more synchornized?

looking forward to hearing your replies....

Have a part of the practice where you go through the entire song, with nothing but instruments. The vocalist if he's not playing anything listens to the music as a whole and stops you if anything seems off.

Sean
make sure everyone practices at home on their own time the riffs. Make the one who can play the riff the best at speed to use a cheap recorder or use audacity and send the rough recording of guitar to each bandmemeber to jam along with on their own time. and IF that isn't working do trying playing the song a LITTLE slower. or at a good speed where you can get tight enough.
What I try to do with my band is, if at all possible, play the song with every possible combination of instruments.

For example, I'll play though a song with only the lead guitar and bass, then just the bass and drums, then just the lead and rhythm guitar, etc, etc.

I find it's a good exersise to make sure everything jives together. I also find it's helpful to practice songs acousticly (ie. all the stringed instruments unplugged in a quiet environment) It helps us hear everyone's individual parts more clearly.

Other than that, you just have to practice regularly. Make sure everyone knows their parts and have band practice at least once or twice a week
I hate my sig
hey guys sorry i've been busy these last few days...i appreciate the responses and will try some of your suggestions...