Looking for a new guitar. Trying to keep it under $400. I need something that handles distortion well.

I currently have a Fender Starcaster, which is good with cleans. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jackson Kelly JS32T
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
well, if you like the strat you could just swap the pickups out for higher output ones. that is about $60 + however much it costs to get it wired up.

in my experience, the best guitar for around $400 would be either an Ibanez RG3XX or 4XX series guitar or a Jackson DK2. Maybe a hot rodded Strat or Epiphone Les Pual would be good too.

Personally, I would just stick with the guitar you have and get a replacement bridge pickup (either a humbucker or a stacked single coil) and just have it put in and save some money.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Ibanez sells many good quality guitars for under 400. If you're interested in playing a lot of metal or hard rock they would be a great choice. Can get either a tremolo or a stop-bar tail piece. Try the Ibanez RG3EXFM1 Electric Guitar. I own it and it handles distortion well and has a nice thin neck for fast playing.
Quote by stonyman65
well, if you like the strat you could just swap the pickups out for higher output ones. that is about $60 + however much it costs to get it wired up.

in my experience, the best guitar for around $400 would be either an Ibanez RG3XX or 4XX series guitar or a Jackson DK2. Maybe a hot rodded Strat or Epiphone Les Pual would be good too.

Personally, I would just stick with the guitar you have and get a replacement bridge pickup (either a humbucker or a stacked single coil) and just have it put in and save some money.

>keep a starcaster

dude believe me you do not want to...you would be better off getting a new guitar. trust me. mine barely stays in tune anymore, and it's less than 2 years old
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
The best guitar for $400 is the guitar you like most for $400.

That being said, I'd recommend looking for a used RG570 or something along those lines. I got mine for $400 from Guitar Center. Made in Japan, pretty decent stock pickups, and an original Edge tremolo (which you can block if it doesn't suit you.
Quote by Pac_man0123
The best guitar for $400 is the guitar you like most for $400.

That being said, I'd recommend looking for a used RG570 or something along those lines. I got mine for $400 from Guitar Center. Made in Japan, pretty decent stock pickups, and an original Edge tremolo (which you can block if it doesn't suit you.

+1

You beat me this time Pacman!
Quote by kandex
>keep a starcaster

dude believe me you do not want to...you would be better off getting a new guitar. trust me. mine barely stays in tune anymore, and it's less than 2 years old

mine barely stays in tune too... It's about 2 too
Yamaha Pacifica 112.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
For $399 you could get a new Epi Standard or if you like Fender's more for $500 you could get a new MIM Strat. I would not invest any more money in the Starcaster. It's starter guitar made to be sold at retail stores (Walmart,Kmaert whatever). With your bidget stay away from Floyds, they'd be pretty crappy in that price range, the more basic featured the guitar the better those features are likely to be.
Moving on.....
Talk the Ibanez RG350
My Gear
Ibanez JS1000
Ibanez RG350EX
Cort CR280
Ibznez GRG170DX
Fender Startocaster American Standard
Yamaha Acoustic CPX500
Hofner Acoustic Guitar
Zoom G2.1NU
Zoom GFX-1
Boss DS-1
Marshall MG50 3/5
USA made Carvin Bolt kit with bucker in bridge.

I have no idea if OP's American.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Try to keep your eyes out for an Ibanez RG570, I got mine for around $350 used, and they are amazing guitars. Though if you don't like a Floyd, it's not worth it for you.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
Squier Classic Vibe 50's (or 60's if you want hotter p'ups and rosewood fretboard)

They are really good and reliable guitars.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bugera Fire Wall Half Stack
^
I'm with pac_man and levi79 as far as my taste goes (and overall quality for money).

However quality for money aside ibanez rgs are definitely not for everyone...

Depends what you're after really!