Just a quick question, is the Fender MMB (Played with a guitar, not bass) loud enough for gigging? I would be running it at the same time as my Peavey DB.

EDIT: It's a 12 watt combo with a 12 inch speaker.
Last edited by Frank_Black at May 23, 2011,
They are surprisingly loud actually. They are about 10W. You will want good output valves and maybe a different speaker. Is yours the one with 6AQ5 or 6V6 tubes?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 23, 2011,
I have the one with 6V6's. First of all, to anyone who doesn't know anything about this amp, it is arguably the best amp for your money out there. Got a 1974 MMB on ebay for 300US and it has been very reliable and sounds great. I used to run mine stock through the cab and it was pretty loud. I would say it is right on the edge of being not quite loud enough for band practice but if you are mic'ing amps at a gig it is perfect. Now, I run it through a 1x12 external cab and it is plenty loud for band practice.
It's the 6v6, and the tubes are recent-looking JJ's. The speaker looks stock, it's unmarked.
Oh, and I don't own it yet, I've been borrowing it from a friend to see if I'd want to buy it. Tonewise I'm digging it (And the fact that a lot of Brothers was recorded on one doesn't hurt )
The 6V6 is probably the best thing JJ make. I did a back to back test comparing JJ, Brimar and Sylvania 6V6's in a Fender 5F1 Champ clone. The Brimar of course sounded best but there wasn't a lot in it between that and the JJ. The JJ sounded better than the Sylvania. That's pretty good going for a modern valve. JJ 6V6's rock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok, but un-mic'd could one handle a practice or gig? It would have to function as a backup amp as well, in case anything happens to my DB.
With the stock bass guitar speaker it will have a hard time keeping up with a drummer, you'll never be totally clean. Put in a nice efficient guitar speaker in there and you'll manage, just. At a gig, you'll want to put a mike in front of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, since I never want to be totally clean that shouldn't be a problem. Any recommendations for a cheap-ish speaker? (I have no idea how much speakers cost, bit of a noob in that area)

And most of the time I'll be running it at the same time as my DB in a bass-less band.
I was just looking at other pictures of the stock speaker in this amp, and noticed that it (the stock speaker) has a square magnet with a blue Fender sticker on the back (look here http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/amp-central-station/10822d1208651484-i-found-musicmaster-bass-amp-today-speaker-jpg ),
while mine has a round magnet and is sticker-less. Anyone have a way of identifying it?
And I guess the best way to tell if it's loud enough is to take it to practice today and see how loud it goes
Try to find a Celestion Greenback. I'm pretty sure the stock speaker was a 10" speaker but I had a friend outfit the cab for a 12" Greenback and it sounds great.