As Saturday drew nearer, followers reported that donations grew, allowing Family Radio to spend millions on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the doomsday message. In 2009, the nonprofit reported in IRS filings that it received $18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $104 million, including $34 million in stocks or other publicly traded securities.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_apocalypse_saturday
At the center of it all, Camping's organization, Family Radio, is perfectly happy to take your money -- and in fact, received $80 million in contributions between 2005 and 2009. Camping founded Family Radio, a nonprofit Christian radio network based in Oakland, Calif. with about 65 stations across the country, in 1958.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/May-21-End-of-the-World-cnnm-66185956.html?x=0&.v=5&.pf=college-education&mod=pf-college-education

So family radio is racking in millions and that's not including donations from 2010-2011, subtract the millions spent on advertising and he's probably still a happy camper. Think He'll take the money and run?
I leik music
If I was him, even if I had $15 I'd take it and get out.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

he deserves it. those people who believed him and gave everything up are morons and deserve to be homeless. my only concern is the children of said people. they should be taken away by social services.

the adults should know better and therefore deserve nothing but scorn and mockery.
#DTWD
harold will be dead soon (old age), hopefully christens don't believe in inheritance.
Quote by primusfan
he deserves it. those people who believed him and gave everything up are morons and deserve to be homeless. my only concern is the children of said people. they should be taken away by social services.

the adults should know better and therefore deserve nothing but scorn and mockery.

While I agree that it's ridiculous that these people believed in him, I'm reminded of a James Randi quote that goes something along the lines of this, (and keep in mind this is heavily paraphrased, because I can't find the source) "These people (refering to the likes of Peter Popoff and this Harold Camping guy) take advantage of the desperate and the weak. They weren't stupid, they were taken advantage of."

Basically, if you profit from fooling desperate people into believing something ridiculous, you're a dick. Don't hate the people who were fooled.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at May 23, 2011,
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
While I agree that it's ridiculous that these people believed in him, I'm reminded of a James Randi quote that goes something along the lines of this, (and keep in mind this is heavily paraphrased, because I can't find the source) "These people (refering to the likes of Peter Popoff and this Harold Camping guy) take advantage of the desperate and the weak. They weren't stupid, they were taken advantage of."

Basically, if you profit from fooling desperate people into believing something ridiculous, you're a dick. Don't hate the people who were fooled.

while I respect Randi and that sentiment, this is beyond foolish. it'd be one thing if they were giving him money because he claimed to have cancer and then it turned out he'd been lying. fair enough. shame on him.

but Jesus Christ returning to earth to take the righteous to heaven? give me a breeak.

and he did this same thing 15 years ago. what's that saying? fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
while I respect Randi and that sentiment, this is beyond foolish. it'd be one thing if they were giving him money because he claimed to have cancer and then it turned out he'd been lying. fair enough. shame on him.

but Jesus Christ returning to earth to take the righteous to heaven? give me a breeak.

and he did this same thing 15 years ago. what's that saying? fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me.

Fair enough. To be honest, I'm more inclined to agree with you than what I posted. I was just offering another perspective.

Quote by due 07

I knew exactly what this was before I clicked, yet I still lol'd heartily.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at May 23, 2011,
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Fair enough. To be honest, I'm more inclined to agree with you than what I posted. I was just offering another perspective.

I knew exactly what this was before I clicked, yet I still lol'd heartily.

I just cringe. Like that pause after he says "Fool me once..." is just painful.
Quote by col50
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_apocalypse_saturday

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/May-21-End-of-the-World-cnnm-66185956.html?x=0&.v=5&.pf=college-education&mod=pf-college-education

So family radio is racking in millions and that's not including donations from 2010-2011, subtract the millions spent on advertising and he's probably still a happy camper. Think He'll take the money and run?

don't you mean a happy...camping??

Quote by superunknown
don't you mean a happy...camping??

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Apparently, Camping made an appearence at his front door yesterday looking 'flabbergasted' and 'dejected' and said "It has been a really tough weekend." He also said "I'm looking for answers," adding that meant frequent prayer and consultations with friends and ended with "But now I have nothing else to say, I'll be back to work Monday and will say more then." before closing the door.

Poor guy, he's obviously under a lot of pressure now, someone ought to tell him to cheer up, after all, it's not like it's the end of the world.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 23, 2011,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Apparently, Camping made an appearence at his front door yesterday looking 'flabbergasted' and 'dejected' and said "It has been a really tough weekend." He also said "I'm looking for answers," adding that meant frequent prayer and consultations with friends and ended with "But now I have nothing else to say, I'll be back to work Monday and will say more then." before closing the door.

Poor guy, he's obviously under a lot of pressure now, someone ought to tell him to cheer up, after all, it's not like it's the end of the world.

Quote by primusfan

Do you think that someone in need of some form of psychiatric care should be held accountable for being taken advantage of?
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I laughed so hard at this picture.

Are you serious? It almost drove me to suicide.