Hey guys,
One of my bass students is looking to go up a notch from his current bass.
At the moment,he's playing a dirt cheap Samick short scale that's well busted up.
He's looking to play in a band soon,and will most likely be using an amp at school or borrowing one for gigs,right now what he needs is a decent 5 string to learn on.
He's looking to play breaking benjamin,Papa Roach,3 days grace kinda stuff.
Were looking at a tab now that's on a 5 string in drop A.
Budget is VERY low.
Were talking about $300 AUD second hand.
Any suggestions would be well appreciated.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
For that price, the only thing I can think of is getting lucky at Cash Converters or something.

I've just ahd a quick look at some used basses and even the mid-range Squier 4-strings were miles over budget.

I'm not really sure what to tell you.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
ok,I'll give him that advice.
Metal guys,what are your opinions on simply using a 4 string bass with some thicker strings tuned lower?
For a student is this a good way to go?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
not a metal guy but...

it should work fine. most people don't ever play up in the top 5 fret of their register anyway so the extra string really isn't befitting your range any. worst case scenario you need to transpose songs that require the G string a couple frets up on the neck which is a good exercise.
no sir away a papaya war is on
You can probably find a basic model Ibanez SRX fiver for that price.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
You can probably find a basic model Ibanez SRX fiver for that price.

In Australia? You're kidding? He'd have to be massively lucky.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Save a bit more.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Deff save more. I hate how everythign is shit loads more expensive here. I mean, went to guitar factory parra, usually have good prices (for aus) and a set of ernie ball strings was like 80 AUS. That said, i got an Ampeg Ba115 for 650 new.

The more he saves, the better he will feel about the outcome. Plus the wait adds to the excitement, much more satisfying.

Shop around, everywhere possible, dont find anything, keep saving, have a look once in a while and cheak back all the sites over, dont want to miss a bargain.
Lol you paid $80 for Ernie Balls? The most I've ever paid is $40 and I only got them because I was desperate.

TS, tell him to keep saving his money and keep an eye on the OzBassForum's classifieds. There's a lot of great deals to be had on there.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Some of Papa Roach's and Breaking Benjamin's songs use tunings of B or lower, for which a 5-string is always preferable. Somebody mentioned the Ibanez GSR205...

In my experience, Ibanez basses have great sound, playability, and price. This little guy goes for $250 if you order through MusiciansFriend.

Or, if he's willing to pay a full $300, he could instead get the GSR205EX, which adds black hardware and a Phat-II EQ boost.
^ Read the thread, AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS.

The GSR205 is around the $450-$500 mark down here.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
^ Read the thread, AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS.

The GSR205 is around the $450-$500 mark down here.

Whoops, my bad! Don't know what anything is in Australian dollars, sorry.
Quote by consecutive e
Lol you paid $80 for Ernie Balls? The most I've ever paid is $40 and I only got them because I was desperate.

TS, tell him to keep saving his money and keep an eye on the OzBassForum's classifieds. There's a lot of great deals to be had on there.

didnt buy em. **** that shit.