Just for my dumb@$$'s sake ...

Someone once stated in another thread that ..."the last thing you want,is a rhythym guitarist scooping the mids ..." or something to that tune.

What's meant by that ?

Thanks in advance
It's the way you adjust the EQ on your amp. Scooping the mids means high bass, low mids, high trebble.
It's a setting usually seen in Metal (think Metallica), although some bands (like Slayer) prefer the opposite and boost their mids.

EDIT: I believe the mid-range frequencies are the ones corresponding the most to a human voice. Hence scooping the mids on a guitar amp creates a sound that does not interfere with the singer. The high bass gives an additional punch that's desired in heavy music, and high trebble brings some harmonics, which enrich the lead parts.
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Last edited by tickler444 at May 23, 2011,
Quote by tickler444
It's the way you adjust the EQ on your amp. Scooping the mids means high bass, low mids, high trebble.
It's a setting usually seen in Metal (think Metallica), although some bands (like Slayer) prefer the opposite and boost their mids.

EDIT: I believe the mid-range frequencies are the ones corresponding the most to a human voice. Hence scooping the mids on a guitar amp creates a sound that does not interfere with the singer. The high bass gives an additional punch that's desired in heavy music, and high trebble brings some harmonics, which enrich the lead parts.

No. Cutting the mids (bearing in mind that a guitar is a mid ranged instrument) means that, in a live situation, the guitar will either be incredibly tinny and harsh sounding, or completely drowned out. So, it's one of the worst eqs to have live.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
No. Cutting the mids (bearing in mind that a guitar is a mid ranged instrument) means that, in a live situation, the guitar will either be incredibly tinny and harsh sounding, or completely drowned out. So, it's one of the worst eqs to have live.

+1

Never cut something from your eq. Ever.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Cool thanks. Thinking about it,suppose it could also translate to poor technique where the guitarist mostly only hit the bass/upper or treble/lower strings (un-intentionally) as he's strumming ...
Last edited by Ovation e148 at May 23, 2011,