Sup A&CG forum.

I dropped off my acoustic to a local guitar shop the other day to get it professionally set up to make sure I'm getting the best out of it.

The action has always been a little higher than what I'd like it to be, which I attribute to too much bow in the neck.

Anyways, booked it in for a full setup including bridge plane and went up from 11's to 12's. I asked the tech and he said that it could handle 12's easily without bowing the neck much more, and if it did pull it too much there were ways around it (truss rod is maxed so please don't suggest that). He mentioned something about adding an extra nut to the rod or something...

My question is:

How long does it take the neck of a guitar to be pulled to equalibrium when you go up a string gauge?

If I pick it up tomorrow it will have been 24 hours, but I'm wondering if I should leave it for 48 just so any issues are obvious when I go to pick it up.

Cheers.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
24hrs is plenty of time. Most of the movement that is going to happen usually does happen in the first minute or two of playing and it's safe to bet that before the luthier says it's set up he gave it a play for a few minutes. In rare instances it might take overnight for everything to settle and this usually happens because of the temp and humidity changes at night. They cause the neck to shift changing the pressure on the truss rod which can then through the truss rod slightly out again. So it's more of a question of has it been overnight rather than how much time. If it's sat in workshop with perfect temp and humidity control then that shifting isn't going to happen until you take it home anyway so it wouldn't really matter how long it sat in the shop.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
24hrs is plenty of time. Most of the movement that is going to happen usually does happen in the first minute or two of playing and it's safe to bet that before the luthier says it's set up he gave it a play for a few minutes. In rare instances it might take overnight for everything to settle and this usually happens because of the temp and humidity changes at night. They cause the neck to shift changing the pressure on the truss rod which can then through the truss rod slightly out again. So it's more of a question of has it been overnight rather than how much time. If it's sat in workshop with perfect temp and humidity control then that shifting isn't going to happen until you take it home anyway so it wouldn't really matter how long it sat in the shop.

Thanks man, guess I'll be picking up tomorrow then (wewt).
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER